Camera ideas

chip

Camera ideas
« on: 29 Sep 2011, 09:34 pm »
I have a older p&s camera and I am thinking of upgrading over the next few months. I will keep the p&s for ease of carrying.

One of my questions is what are some of the big differences between the dslr's and the newer smaller alpha like the Sony NEX5n besides the size.

I would like to be able to get better shots of the kids, the great outdoors of oregon, etc. I don't want big and bulky so that is why I mentioned the sony.

Jon L

Re: Camera ideas
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm »
NEX-5N is actually a great choice for picture quality, as it has an APS-C sensor as large as APS-C DSLR's, larger than micro Four Thirds cameras and much larger than Nikon's new mirrorless camera range. 

The biggest problem IMO is that NEX lenses tend to be large, negating the portability of the body, especially the stock zoom lens.  The 16mm lens is IMO too wide for everyday use, especially portrait. 

Luckily, Sony will start to ship the new 30mm f/3.5 Macro lens in a couple of weeks and the 50mm f/1.8 lens in December. 

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644718503

If it were me, I would wait a couple of weeks and see if Sony will bundle the NEX-5N body with the 30mm lens.  If not, buy separately, or buy the body+kit lens and sell the kit lens on eBay in "new" condition.

chip

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm »
So is there something I can read to get a better understanding between the lenses as well.

Like what is the difference between the 30mm and 50mm? May sound silly but for me it isn't.

I am looking at getting better close up shots from near/far away and good action shots as the kids are just starting to get into sports.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm »
If you are looking for all-in-one solution for near AND far shots, you are stuck with zoom lenses like the NEX 18-55 mm lens, which is what the kit comes with. 

A good place to learn and ask about this stuff, especially NEX gear is Flickr NEX group.  I would join Flickr and start reading the threads:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/alpha-nex/

chip

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:22 am »
Ok good place to start.

Are there other cameras I should look at as well - I am not saying a dslr won't work but the more portable the better.

Also probably same price range as the sony roughly -

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:51 am »
I lost my Fuji F31fd to a thief and replaced it with a Leica D-Lux 4. I love it.

What finally sold me was that the president of Pentax USA, which does make its own point-and-shoots, chose this camera as his non-DSLR replacement over Pentax's own models and didn't mind telling the world. The sample photos were stunning to me in their color, especially.
Have a look at his images here:
http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2009/01/after-42-yrs-new-leica-added-to-my.html

Resolution is not as good as the big boys (4/3rds and such) - but they're bulkier and you are getting away from the basic advantage of a pocket camera.

The D-Lux 5 is the current model. Panasonic makes the camera and there is ongoing debate about the price difference. The difference to me is subtle but visible, plus the Leica comes with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, worth $300.
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_5/

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:26 am »
It kind of depends on how much you want to spend. If you are looking for something better than a point and shoot, yet not quite ready to step into a dSLR, maybe you should consider one of the prosumer types, a bridge camera. They are the cameras that look very much like a dSLR, but you cannot remove the lens. Most are full featured, yet smaller than your typical dSLR. Read the reviews on whatever camera you decide on. My favorite website for camera reviews is. . . http://www.steves-digicams.com/

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:44 am »
Another good place to read about cameras would be dpreview, they also have a very active forum that discusses for each manufacturer. 

DP Review side-by-side comparison

Most of my family and friends have invested in the u4/3 format, so it's probably something I invest into as well so I can try out various lens. If you get the best camera today there will be a better one tomorrow, so if you are not a die-hard photographer, I would hit a store and try them out.     Some of the newer cameras rely on the touch screen or an LCD menu to set key options, where I prefer the ones with physical buttons.

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:34 am »
This chart may help some visualize the differences in sensor sizes.

Most "consumer" point and shoots are around 1/2.3", and even the "larger senor" camera like Canon S95 is 1/1.7".  The new Nikon mirrorless uses 1" which is smaller than Micro 4/3.  You can see how huge the full frame sensor is.

sensorsizes by drjlo2, on Flickr

bunnyma357

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:54 am »
Although it is DSLR video based - these 3 videos give a pretty good explanation on lenses, apertures, etc. - and the "meaning" implied for each use and why you would choose one over the other.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2011/08/15/oh-dear-the-viking-has-landed-and-uh-the-astronaut/

Jim C

chip

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2011, 03:25 pm »
Although it is DSLR video based - these 3 videos give a pretty good explanation on lenses, apertures, etc. - and the "meaning" implied for each use and why you would choose one over the other.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2011/08/15/oh-dear-the-viking-has-landed-and-uh-the-astronaut/

Jim C

Great link with alot of good info - thanks

chip

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2011, 05:54 pm »
Ok so than a question on the following -

Canon Powershot G12 says it has 5x optical zoom covers 28-140mm.

The Sony NeX5n can be bought with a 18-55 mm lens -

So then referencing the video I watched from a few links above from bunnyma357 how would one decide which of the two listed above is better and why? I am using this as an example to get a better understanding of the different cameras out there. The canon has a range of 56mm-140mm where the Sony doesn't in the above scenario but what else am I missing between these cameras.

Æ

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2011, 06:53 pm »
Ok so than a question on the following -

Canon Powershot G12 says it has 5x optical zoom covers 28-140mm.

The Sony NeX5n can be bought with a 18-55 mm lens -

So then referencing the video I watched from a few links above from bunnyma357 how would one decide which of the two listed above is better and why? I am using this as an example to get a better understanding of the different cameras out there. The canon has a range of 56mm-140mm where the Sony doesn't in the above scenario but what else am I missing between these cameras.

There is a $200 difference between the CANON and the SONY. The SONY obviously has a larger sensor. Take a look at the links below, easy to compare the differences between the two. Read the Pros and Cons of each camera and then go and take a look at the Sample Photos.
One other thing to take into consideration is the feel, try out the camera before you buy it. Take it for a test drive so to speak. Specs are fine, but if you struggle to use the camera or are uncomfortable using it then why buy it?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-g12/canon-powershot-g12-review.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/nex-5/sony-alpha-nex-5-review.html

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2011, 07:08 pm »
chip,

This is not obvious, but there is what is called a "crop factor" for the Sony NEX (and all APS-C) cameras. so the sony with the 18-55 will appear to be 27-83mm. The G12's focal lengths are described as the final field of view.  There is still a substantial gap between 83 and 140mm. This end of the focal range is telephoto and useful for sports and candids. It depends on your preference. as others have mentioned look at sample pics with the EXIF data (will show what focal length used)

To directly answer your question is that the Sony uses a sensor that is much larger than the G12. see the graphic in the post above. This impacts the ability to capture images in low light without a flash and crop down an image in editing to remove unwanted stuff in your shot. the smaller the sensor the more the degraded the image will get during cropping.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2011, 07:42 pm »
With Sony you can change out lenses whereas you are "stuck" with the zoom on G12. You can never go prime...

jvc

« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2011, 11:40 pm »
How 'bout one of these?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2011, 12:11 am »
Ok good place to start.

Are there other cameras I should look at as well - I am not saying a dslr won't work but the more portable the better.

Also probably same price range as the Sony roughly -

In your case, a micro 4/3 may not be a bad idea.  Plus - the M 4/3 eliminates the SLR's mirro, so the camera is much less bulky.  Panasonic's G series is not bad.  It's much better than a P&S, but not quite a SLR.  I have both a Panasonic M 4/3 (the very first generation, G1), and a Canon 5DII, as well as a Canon G7, prior to other P&S's, and print film SLRs.  Each has its virtues.  The Micro 4/3 gives you something closer in performance to a SLR, and much easier on your shoulder.  I just came back from 2 successive trips with the Canon 5DII.  My shoulder/back is still sore (try hiking with it!).  I suppose you're not ready for a 5DII kind of a camera anyway.  Well, a Sony NEX is OK.  But, a friend told me his (the lower NEX-5(?) is somewhat plasticy.  You'd have to get the big brother (the 7?) to get better quality.

If one waits, there's always something better coming along these days.  They come up with updated models like there's no tomorrow.  Just close one's eyes, bite the bullet and buy, but only after some homework.
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2011, 01:32 pm by goldlizsts »

Æ

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2011, 01:44 am »
If one waits, there's always something better coming along these days.  They come up with updated models like there's no tomorrow.  Just close one's eyes, bit the bullet and buy, but only after some homework.

Yeah, SONY had the Walkman and the Discman. Next up is the "Pictureman."
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2011, 08:34 pm by Æ »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2011, 02:07 am »
With Sony you can change out lenses whereas you are "stuck" with the zoom on G12. You can never go prime...

This is a big deal for me, as the Sony kit lenses can't do justice to the camera's sensor. I have a few Canon mf primes, 24 f2.8, 50 f1.4 and 80 f1.8. You can pick up all 3 for a couple hundred in great condition and the quality is awesome. You're looking at spending thousands on a full frame dslr to do any better.

Jon L

« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2011, 03:35 am »
I just came back from 2 successive trips with the Canon 5DII.  My shoulder/back is still sore (try hiking with it!). 

That's what camera strap/sling is for!, something like Blackrapid or cheaper on eBay.
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-sport-2/