Big Fish

pjchappy

Big Fish
« on: 22 Apr 2004, 01:23 am »
Has anyone seen this?  Is it worth renting?  

I wanted to see it, and probably will. . .I just wanted some input.

p

vpolineni

Big Fish
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2004, 01:25 am »
I thought it was an excellent movie.. definetly worth renting.  If you've liked tim burton's other movies, i'm sure you'll enjoy this one as well.

nathanm

Big Fish
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:33 am »
Fairly good film.  A bit draggy at times and the plot meanders about, but if you like Tim Burton's style it's worthwhile.  I just don't care for the message of the film, i.e. incessant lying is a good thing. (!?)  Worth renting in any case.

jgubman

Big Fish
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2004, 04:02 am »
I didn't reallly care for it. I'll second Nathan, the film's message was really strange. The vignettes really didn't have big payoffs and I didn't give two shits about any of the characters.

It was very striking visually, however.

bubba966

Big Fish
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2004, 04:48 am »
I'd say it's worth a watching.

It's most certainly a bit odd at times. And After only one viewing I can't quite say what the intent of the movie was.

But I didn't dislike it. Not sure if I liked it enough to buy it though...

I was pleased to see Marion Cotillard doing a non-French film. Wouldn't mind it if she did a few more.

rosconey

Big Fish
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2004, 10:30 am »
watched it last night :mrgreen: i thought it was better then master and commander.
the guy reminded me of my uncle ralph, he also was a story teller.
brought back many good memories for me of him :mrgreen: might be why i liked it so much.

pjchappy

Big Fish
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2004, 06:24 pm »
I just watched it last night, too. . .I really enjoyed it.

I also watched Stuck on You. . .holy shit that was funny!

Today, I am going to watch The Cooler.

p

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Big Fish
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2004, 08:29 pm »
I bought it & watched it last night.  There's a good chance that your personal circumstances and the type of relationship you have with your own father will determine whether or not you liked it.  I personally found it very moving and touching.  I'd rate it as one of the better films I've seen in a good while.

The visual elements of the story were fantastic, and the whimsical feel of it struck me as just wonderful.  Likewise I thought McGregor & Finney were both excellent.

One thing that struck me as humorous though was that for a movie set in the south in America it sure starred a lot of Europeans!  Their accents were okay but every once in awhile it sounded a little forced.  A minor quibble though with a superb movie.

Makes me wish I'd have skipped Mystic River and just watched Big Fish twice instead.  :wink:

rosconey

Big Fish
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2004, 09:12 pm »
just finished stuck on you-very funny :lol:

orthobiz

Big Fish
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2004, 12:25 am »
Didn't care much for the maudlin, morose Big Fish. In an odd way, Secondhand Lions was like Big Fish: tall tales that were "true" at the end, a little coming of age theme in both. I thought that Finney was unlikable throughout, even when dead. Secondhand Lions wins in my opinion.

biz

jackman

Big Fish
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2004, 06:52 pm »
Okay, maybe I'm nuts (been called worse... :? ) but I absolutely loved this movie.  You guys who think the movie was about "tall tales" are a bit off the mark, IMO.  I think it's more about our imperfection as humans and a son realizing that his father, although flawed, had a lot of value and that he was more like his father than he originally thought.   Uh oh, that may be considered a "spoiler" for someone who hasn't seen it.  DONT READ PAST THIS LINE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.  The ending moved me to tears, something that hasn't happened since I checked my wife's last credit card bill... :o   Not to get too philosophical, but I thought the message was good and very true: there are many ways to "know" a person and you may never find them unless you take the time and make an effort look for them.  In the end, the main character  finally "knew" his father, even though it was by different means than he would have chosen and understood how similar they were as people.  

I can't think of a movie I enjoyed more than Big Fish, in years.  I have seen several of the movies mentioned above and most of the critically acclaimed movies of the last coulple years like Lost in Translation (which I thought was VERY slow and just okay), LOTR, etc.,  but none were as rich and as well done as Big Fish.  Tim Burton is a briliant director (in my book at least) and this was his masterpiece.  I immediately bought the movie.  

If you like typical formula garbage or the same old crap and fake sentimentality that Hollywood has dished out for the last couple decades, you will probably not like this one.  If you watch with an open mind, you may enjoy this well crafted and well done movie.

As someone else says on this site, it's only my opinion...I could be wrong!

Jack

I thought that Finney was unlikable throughout, even when dead.

PS- that was a major part of the message.  If his father was "warm and fuzzy" he would have been more accessable and easier to understand.   It probably would not have been as good a story, however. His dad was surly, a total blowhard/story-teller who was not immediately accessable or easy to like.  It took the guy his whole life to see the "good" in his father's actions.  The method in which he told the story of the father's life (by his stories) was also very clever because the stories contained some truth (along with a lot of un-truth).  Plus, the "un-truth" part of the story revealed something about his father that he didn't see until the end.

Carlman

Big Fish
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2004, 07:08 pm »
I agree with Jackman... I just saw this movie because I bought it on DVD on sale... thought I'd give it a shot... didn't know what it was about but liked the cinematography.  Burton's kind of dark for me but his style is maturing.  I really liked Big Fish.

I also think Rob's comments about your relationship with your Father are dead on.  I was a little embarrased at how accurate the relationship of Father and Son was to my own... however, that relationship existed 10+ years ago so I felt like the son character in the movie should've been younger... since the son in the movie is probably closer to my age now. (mid 30's)  (Because I think someone in their 30's should've sorted out that their relationships with their family.)

In any case, it was easy to relate and odd at the same time to watch this movie.  It made me think and made me a little teary as well.  It hit close to home in some ways and made me think about it and related things after it was over.  I'll watch it again and I'm glad I own it.

I think it's an excellent portrayal of a personal challenge that gets the point across simply well.  It had its weak spots... but mostly for me it was because the son was such a cynical ass I related him to a friend of mine just like him... so, it's probably more my issue than the movie's.  But, it's so relate-able to me that I'm trying too hard to make associations.  That's why I think Rob's comments were perfect... and I'm expanding to say it just depends on many of your own relationships how you're going to interpret the movie.