Half Chang w/ Tang Band 1808 or Fostex ff225wk

jparkhur

Half Chang w/ Tang Band 1808 or Fostex ff225wk
« on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:30 pm »
Here is just the start, i'll add more as we go, i was kicked out of open baffle...  Let me know what you think.  Burn in should be finished in a day or so.

« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm by jparkhur »

jparkhur

Re: Half Chang w/ Tang Band 1808
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:31 pm »
New images of finish and bases.

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:33 pm »
I loaded it with No Rez and small amount of stuffing.  Hooked up to a receiver for burn in.  In to it for 48 hours now.   Sounding better and better as it goes.   Black baffles.. not sure if i like them yet..  JP

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:34 pm »

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2011, 12:40 am »
They look sweet!! I love the color, what stain did you use?

I built Freddie Chang (half chang type) a few years ago for my Feastrex drivers, it was the best they ever sounded!  But mine didn't look as nice as yours.
Rich

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2011, 11:32 am »
As a proud owner of BrinesAcoustics speakers, those black driver surround plates look vaguely familiar (although Bob mounts his drivers on the plates due to need to gain cabinet depth).   :wink:

BTW I ran speaker cable direct from drivers to monoblocks through the back of the speaker, using a wad of rope caulk to seal the opening.

Really nice looking speakers (good size/proportions, classy contrast between cone and stain colors).   :thumb:

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2011, 01:44 pm »
I just velcroed the baffle on, yes inspired by BA.  I may have to switch out drivers in future.  Ill run the cable through the back as breakin finishes.  I have a mount for the back.  Sound keeps getting better.  Il measure monday and see how the do.  Jp

jeffh

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2011, 04:32 pm »
JP

Please share the stain you use and the process.  I really like the color and finish you were able to acheive on that BB plywood.

Jeff

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2011, 05:02 pm »
The stain is a General Stain and called black cherry.  Wipe on a few coats until you like and the clear the crap out of it.  9 coats of clear to get the depth I wanted.  Sand/ knock down in between.

jparkhur

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:22 am »
The imaging is way cool. Tom Petty's BR disc from the box set is totally real when you shut your eyes. I did try to Audysse it and it told me the crossover point should be 150, I hope that is not true when I get everything ready to roll. I'll take a real 1 meter measurement wednesday night.. Dave may be so right, to small a box.

ejfud

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:27 am »
Beautiful build!

jparkhur

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2011, 09:04 pm »
Epic fail...... uhhhh.. but things were learned. 

jparkhur

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2011, 09:10 pm »
A great driver, but a poor box choice on my part.  Lesson learned, flog me once my fault, flog me twice your fault, flog me again both idiots.... ha...I am glad i have an extra triad sub in the house... I will look at mixing this with the new GR servo sub 8's when they come out, or the servo 12 both in OB form.. that may make the perfect speaker.  Natural roll off on driver and amp controlling the sub...JP

jparkhur

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2011, 06:08 pm »
Ok, everything is done and in place.  The speakers were put in my sons room that has two angled ceiling ends.  With this placement, under the angle, I gained significant low end response, the room is also smaller than the basement where I listened for the first time.  The current system is the Decware(modified) 84C amp, puts out 3 watts in pentode mode, a generic set of speaker cables and an iPad as the music source at this time.  I was very surprised at the change in sound from the ATI amp to the Decware amp.  The speakers have plenty of power from the little flea amp, and the size of the room I am sure helps.  You are unable to turn the volume up all the way on the iPad-to loud.  There is no distortion that I can hear at the top end and the amp is dead quiet when hooked up and no signal to it.  The speakers are said to be 93db, very nice sound. 

Now: the enclosure is totally wrong for this speaker and talking with Dave/Planet 10 and Bob Brines of Brines Acoustic, I get it.  I tried to take a driver that I liked and still do and put it in an a cabinet that I could build -looked good to.  I should have started from scratch and built the cabinet around the driver... 

In the end, if anyone wants the cabinets I would be willing to dump them to you for a nominal cost-shipping will be one you, I like the driver and the sound that they produce.  I will have to go do some SIM work and then open up the math sheet from MLK.  Learned a lot about drivers and specifications of drivers.  Am I happy, sure, it was a great learning experience and fun to play with.  I'll keep the drivers and put them in an OB format, maybe substitute the 1808 for a Fostex 225 in the next weeks.

Thanks for everyones responses and suggestions.

JP

jparkhur

« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2011, 08:13 pm »
I will put the amp and passive pre on the dresser when he gets his legos organized.  Images of set up for now.  I'll start working on something else next week....??  not sure what ..

jparkhur

« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2011, 08:15 pm »

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #16 on: 25 Sep 2011, 08:24 pm »
Beautiful build, as usual!

Would like to see you take a stab at the frugal Mk3.....so I can get some ideas....just saying... :wink:

jparkhur

« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2011, 09:31 pm »
Sure, what should i put in it, full w back.  More info pdr..

chrisby

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2011, 05:32 pm »
Thanks to the accommodation for adjusting damping/fill levels in its design, the FH3 can work well with a range of 4-5" drivers. 

Known to work 

Fostex FE126En - although not everyone's cuppa, I'd opine the biggest bang for buck in conjunction with the Decware amp

TangBand W5 1611
Mark Audio CHR or CHP70, Alpair 7
CSS EL70 (by Mark Audio)

I've heard all of the above except the CHP70 in this enclosure

Also likely to work well would be the new Fostex FF125WK - I like this driver very much in another enclosure with which I'm quite familiar. 

Keep in mind that while the FH3 is designed with a rear mouth to allow for corner boundary reinforcement, that's not required by all of the candidate drivers.  In a room situation such as in the photos, where floor space required to pull a rear mouth horn such as the FH3 out from a tight corner fit is at a premium, the Madisound BK12M for FE126En would be worth consideration as well.  For wood-whackers, detailed plans are available on the link

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folded-horn-kit-pair/   

jparkhur

« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2011, 05:35 pm »
I have a set of Fos 126 regulars and 126 Enable from Planet 10.. anyone have thoughts on those...