Any Beck fans out there?

jeff442

Any Beck fans out there?
« on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:45 am »
I recently moved to a new apartment and with fresh acoustics, I'm once again enamored with my VMPS RM30's.  I fired up an old favorite of mine, "Mutations", by Beck.  Has anyone else taken a close listen to this album?  To my less than expert ears, this is a near reference quality recording.  Also, has anyone been able to compare listening to it on HDCD vs. non HDCD equipment and how big of a difference does it make?  Man, I love my current setup and I adore this album, its creativity and the diversity in sounds that it offers!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Any Beck fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:05 am »
I'm a HUGE Beck fan.  We saw him locally at House of Blues, then at Bonarroo in 2006. That was a great set...first was Elvis Costello, the Beck, then Radiohead...nice Saturday in the park!!!

Mutations is one of my all-time faves.  I use a few songs as demo cuts (especially for tonality).  Great stuff.  The hirez surround versions of Guero and Sea Change are to die for, too.

keenween

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:06 am »
Great album! Beck makes some music, his albums seem to always show a maturation of creativity and talent.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:08 am »
Love this album and use it frequently as one of my references for judging system changes and new equipment. Great recording, great sound, great songs.

I used to have a Cary 306/200 with HDCD decoding and preferred it in that mode as opposed to upsampled to 24/192 (could choose between the two on that unit). I think I may have been hearing more in the difference between native playback and upsampling, so its hard to make any judgements about HDCD itself.

Frankly I don't think HDCD in and of itself is the big difference, but rather many albums with this are better recorded/mastered.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:08 am »
With 8 or 9 Beck albums on my shelf, Mutations is my favorite. It overtook Sea Change a couple of years ago.
I listen to it through my Resolution Audio CD50 cdp which does decode HDCD. As for non-HDCD listening, I ripped it to an external hard drive (AIFF) and listen through the Mac Mini/Monarchy Audio Super Drive/PS Audio DLIII which does not decode HDCD. What I haven't done is compare them critically as I usually listen to the Mac in shuffle mode so only catch a song here and there. If I want to listen to the entire album I'll pop the cd in.

stereocilia

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:18 am »
I do love me some Beck.  Saw him at Bank of America Pavilion in Boston a few years ago.  Great show.

pjchappy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:32 am »
With 8 or 9 Beck albums on my shelf, Mutations is my favorite. It overtook Sea Change a couple of years ago.

Mutations has been my favorite Beck album since it came out.  Sea Change surged to #2 on its release

I am a pretty big fan of Beck.  I saw him live about 3 years ago for the first and only time (on the Modern Guilt tour).  I must admit, the show bored the shit out of me.  I've never even remotely been disappointed by an artist that I knew/was familiar with (and enjoyed the music) before seeing them, until Beck.  It was probably due to the fact that I'm not too big of a fan of his recent stuff.  I'm definitely willing to give him another shot, however.

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:43 am »
I am patiently awaiting the arrival of Sea Change on vinyl from MoFi. Their vinyl release has gotten rave reviews. Mutations is next on the vinyl to-do list. Love it on CD.

Kinger

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:47 am »
Just started listening to Beck this year through the Mo-Fi Sea Change CD.  Very very good album.  Based on what others have said about Mutations, I plan to check that out as well.

targa02

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:49 am »
I purchased Sea Change on HD Tracks earlier this year.  I love it.  I need more Beck.

djbnh

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2011, 01:51 am »
What's not 2 like re: Beck? Good stuff.

jeff442

« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2011, 02:04 am »
I'm a HUGE Beck fan.  We saw him locally at House of Blues, then at Bonarroo in 2006. That was a great set...first was Elvis Costello, the Beck, then Radiohead...nice Saturday in the park!!!

Mutations is one of my all-time faves.  I use a few songs as demo cuts (especially for tonality).  Great stuff.  The hirez surround versions of Guero and Sea Change are to die for, too.

Interesting.  When ou say hirez do you mean DVD-Audio or SACD and is it 2 channel of 5.1?

keenween

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2011, 02:13 am »
Interesting.  When ou say hirez do you mean DVD-Audio or SACD and is it 2 channel of 5.1?

sacd has 2 and 5.1 mixes

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2011, 02:14 am »
Guero is DVD-Audio, Sea Change is both (although I'd vote for the DVD-Audio since the recording was PCM based anyway, but maybe your SACD player is better than your DVD-Audio player  :)  ).  Both are 2 channel and 5.1.

Sea Change in 5.1 surround has won many awards and most in the surround community rank it in the top echelon.  it is often used as an example.  It is revelatory!

I'm not a huge fan of Mellow Gold (with Loser) but his run from Odelay, Mutations. Midnite Vultures, Sea Change, Guero and the Information (less so) is amazing.  I am also not a huge fan of Modern Guilt, nor of Danger Mouse and his production style that overtakes that album IMO.  His earlier One Foot In The Grave (which was released later once he was popular with mellow Gold) has some gems.

bunnyma357

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2011, 02:22 am »
I actually like the rawness and enthusiasm of "Mellow Gold" over the later more polished material - but Beck is great.

Jim C

Ern Dog

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:01 am »
I'm the odd man out here because I heard his music and just can't get into it.  His voice sounds flat and depressing to me.

Crimson

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:26 am »
Sea Change is one of my fav's. Desert island material.

Chinaski

I loves me some Debra.....
« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:31 am »
Step inside my Hyundai....gonna take you for a real good meal....

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:34 am »
As soon as I like him, I start hating him.  Until I start liking him again.  I can't keep up with the changes and which album I'm suppose to buy, so I give up.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:44 am »
Letitrol98,
Sounds like a girl I used to date....