playing dff files (sacd digital stream BlueCoast offers)

Marius

Hi James,

Bluecoast offers SACD downloads in Dsd-iff format. Any thoughts on how to play these files through my BDP/BDA directly or is that not possible? http://bluecoastrecords.com/dsd-info Would like to skip the Disc-burning now that I have the BDP1...

Greetings,
Marius
sorry if this has been discussed already or elsewhere, please point me to that then...I've asked on the HiRes forum also.

check out the free downloads offered on http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/cas-2010-downloads for a sample of their style and quality

terrycym

Re: playing dff files (sacd digital stream BlueCoast offers)
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2011, 09:06 am »
You can't directly, you have to convert it to something the Bryston can understand.
Use the free Korg Audiogate.
http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/index.html

Marius

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2011, 09:22 am »
I do, didn't realize it can convert too. trying right now, but tweeting all over the world...I hate that.
maybe James can update the BDP to read dff files....
Marius

You can't directly, you have to convert it to something the Bryston can understand.
Use the free Korg Audiogate.
http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/index.html

Marius

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2011, 09:34 am »
wow, playing Taos from BlueCoast Records and sounding veeeerry nice indeed. converted with Audiogaste into 192 wav. interesting this.
Still annoying to have the Audiogate transfer tweeted all the time. renders it useless for me...
(3.07 minutes, 215,4 Mb....imagine a Wagner Ring in this format?)
Marius

terrycym

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2011, 10:29 am »
If you buy a Korg recorder it doesn't tweet.
Once you've got the recorder, you can record and replay your vinyl through your BDP-1.

There again, what do you expect for free?   :lol:
I woudn't hold your breath on DSD support from Bryston, I'd rather have a fully functional MAX interface.

Marius

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2011, 11:16 am »
agree on that last one.

and about the converting-issue: it needn't be free, I always buy my software...But a Korg recorder, well, I've got no real use for that I believe. Enough work to do with converting my cd collection, let alone my records. Might as well get a higher end Turntable to match my phono stage. Birthday just passed though. Have to wait for Sinterklaas.

Greetings,
Marius

If you buy a Korg recorder it doesn't tweet.
Once you've got the recorder, you can record and replay your vinyl through your BDP-1.

There again, what do you expect for free?   :lol:
I woudn't hold your breath on DSD support from Bryston, I'd rather have a fully functional MAX interface.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2011, 02:03 pm »
Just my $.02.  Audiogate is great, but is not fool-proof.  I do my SACD rips, then convert the DIFF files to more integer-friendly 24/176k or 24/88k because the DSD standard is based on 44.1k, not 48k, and it allows Audiogate to do less math.  i realize that SRC's are very good these days, but why ask for more trouble (it can be a trade off cuz some DACs perform better at 96k or 192k than 88k or 176k, so go figure).  Just a nit.  Also, I think the soft filter and no dithering is the best sound...and do not normalize...it adds or subtracts a gain factor that sounds horrible IMO.  If I have to edit DIFFs for gain (clipping) I do it in another program.

Marius

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2011, 02:16 pm »
Have to study this...but which program do you use to convert the DIFF's? I am on a Mac, and couldn't find another prog.

Marius

Just my $.02.  Audiogate is great, but is not fool-proof.  I do my SACD rips, then convert the DIFF files to more integer-friendly 24/176k or 24/88k because the DSD standard is based on 44.1k, not 48k, and it allows Audiogate to do less math.  i realize that SRC's are very good these days, but why ask for more trouble (it can be a trade off cuz some DACs perform better at 96k or 192k than 88k or 176k, so go figure).  Just a nit.  Also, I think the soft filter and no dithering is the best sound...and do not normalize...it adds or subtracts a gain factor that sounds horrible IMO.  If I have to edit DIFFs for gain (clipping) I do it in another program.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2011, 02:20 pm »
Marius, I'm confused.  About five posts up you say that you used Audiogate to convert Cookie's BlueCoast stuff.  How did you do that if you are on a MAC, and now don't have anything?

Marius

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:09 pm »
I did use Audiogate, have it on the Mac.

I thought you used some other program because you said it's not fool-proof...Misunderstanding there?

Marius, I'm confused.  About five posts up you say that you used Audiogate to convert Cookie's BlueCoast stuff.  How did you do that if you are on a MAC, and now don't have anything?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:14 pm »
I did use Audiogate, have it on the Mac.

I thought you used some other program because you said it's not fool-proof...Misunderstanding there?

I meant it's not fool proof to do non-integer SRC.  I'd rather let it do the "easier" 44.1k-based 24/176k and 24/88k since DSD is based on 44.1k, than the 48k-based 24/96 and 24/192.  Some SRC's like Isotope and Saracon are sophisticated enough to not care about such things; dunno about Audiogate so i err on the easy side.  And yes, I have access to other programs (especially for multichannel conversion) but like Audiogate a lot.

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:24 pm »
Ok, that's cleared. I'll try the other options, was my first time, still a lot to learn. Thanks for that.

please help, what's a SRC?.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCR

I meant it's not fool proof to do non-integer SRC.  I'd rather let it do the "easier" 44.1k-based 24/176k and 24/88k since DSD is based on 44.1k, than the 48k-based 24/96 and 24/192.  Some SRC's like Isotope and Saracon are sophisticated enough to not care about such things; dunno about Audiogate so i err on the easy side.  And yes, I have access to other programs (especially for multichannel conversion) but like Audiogate a lot.

Marius

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:33 pm »
You have this Korg recorder, or found another way to prevent Audiogate from tweeting?
  And yes, I have access to other programs (especially for multichannel conversion) but like Audiogate a lot.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:46 pm »
You have this Korg recorder, or found another way to prevent Audiogate from tweeting?

No, I don't own a Korg recorder ( I have no reason to record live music) and I don't care it tweets.  I'm not a Twitter fan so I could care less that these are my only tweets.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2011, 07:00 pm »
Marius,

have a look here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82330.msg970648#msg970648

i purchased the recorder a few weks ago and i like it! did lots of recordings and burned some DSD discs :thumb:
the vinyls are recorded in 5.6MHz and are then converted into 176.4@24 in order to play them with the BDP-1.

al.

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2011, 05:45 am »
Thanks, I will look into that. Very interesting.
But to cut it short: you record the sounds coming off playing the records, so with pops, clicks and ticks? I fear that does not come close to the master tape??

Marius

Marius,

have a look here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82330.msg970648#msg970648

i purchased the recorder a few weks ago and i like it! did lots of recordings and burned some DSD discs :thumb:
the vinyls are recorded in 5.6MHz and are then converted into 176.4@24 in order to play them with the BDP-1.

al.

terrycym

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2011, 07:53 am »
Hey ted_b,
You said earlier that you rip your SACDs
How do you do that?

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth