Who uses a SR Powercell 10SE?

Big Red Machine

Who uses a SR Powercell 10SE?
« on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:25 pm »
I have a Powercell 4 and like it on the amps.  Do you find any noise reduction with the 10SE overall or just the higher energy level the Powercell provides but w/o any noise reduction?

I am considering moving my BPT BP2 out and replacing with a 10 SE but first I'll need to bypass the BPT to see if the noise increases.  With only 4 outlets on the PC4, I can plug in the amps, pre, and dac but that would leave the Touch PS and computer to something else.  Maybe one of the Felixes would work for those?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Who uses a SR Powercell 10SE?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm »
Have you thought of trying an UberBuss? 

rw@cn

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2011, 02:13 pm »
I have two PC 4 and they are great for my implementation. If you decide to get a PC 10, I suggest getting the MK II. According to the Synergistic folks the PC 4 sounds better than the MK I.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:08 pm »
I have two PC 4 and they are great for my implementation. If you decide to get a PC 10, I suggest getting the MK II. According to the Synergistic folks the PC 4 sounds better than the MK I.

Any other noise reduction units in the circuit?

rw@cn

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2011, 07:10 pm »
Only the whole house surge protector and a PS Audio Duet used to switch the Cable box and HDTV off when listening to music.

klipschfan

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2011, 09:12 am »
Have never tried the PowerCell 4. I am using the PowerCell 10SE and am pleased with it. Have had many different amps and speakers in the system. 5w tube mono blocks to 1200w SS mono blocks. Speakers have ranged from 88db@1w to 104db@1w.

System is and has been dead silent between passages and at idle. The PowerCell 10SE is connected to a PS Audio Soloist Premier at the wall.

rw@cn

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:12 pm »

The PowerCell 10SE is connected to a PS Audio Soloist Premier at the wall.

Did you install the PS Autdio Soloist before or after you installed the PC 10?

klipschfan

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:44 pm »
Installed the Soloist for surge protection. Soloist is hard wired to a power cord. Can have it in or out of the system-portable like the ultimate outlet.

tarquineous

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2011, 04:12 am »
Have you thought of trying an UberBuss?

I plug my Powercell 10SE into an UberBuss with excellent results. I also use a Purist Audio LE from the wall to the UberBuss.

Many cords were tried here, and about 5 different PLCs. The above has been the best so far.

Incidentally, I've found the Powercell works much better as the final PLC, if they are hooked up in series. So the guy with the BPT transformer may want to try them together.

rw@cn

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2011, 02:14 pm »
Ted at Synergistic doesn't recommend anything in series with his powercells when I discussed the possibility of using the PS Audio Soloist. I can't say since i haven't tried any combinations so YMMV. I do have a whole house surge protector.

I do wish the PI web site was up so that I could get a feel for the UberBuss.

tarquineous

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2011, 08:45 pm »
Ted at Synergistic doesn't recommend anything in series with his powercells when I discussed the possibility of using the PS Audio Soloist. I can't say since i haven't tried any combinations so YMMV. I do have a whole house surge protector.

I do wish the PI web site was up so that I could get a feel for the UberBuss.

You're going to get lots of advise from people, and I can't tell you they are right or wrong, as I am not in their shoes.
The only way to know for yourself, is try the products. Keep in mind, the power cords used make a lot of difference. You can degrade the sound with the wrong power cord, just as easy as the wrong PLC.

The UberBuss can be used in Parallel as an option. Plug it into the same outlet as the Powercell, or on the same circuit. This way you get the power factor correction from the UberBuss. The power factor correction is in parallel anyway, inside the UberBuss.

I did install a Teslaplex and a PS Audio Premier duplexes in the UberBuss, for a very small improvement, but much better holding force on the plugs.

rw@cn

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2011, 11:35 pm »
Thanks. I'll wait until PI gets its site up. Something in parallel is an option otherwise, I'm good.

alan m. kafton

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:19 am »
Why not buy another Powercell 4? You already like how it sounds. A second unit would allow you to physically separate digital and analog (a very good thing), and have 8 total outlets for your system. You would also save a chunk of cash.   8)

tarquineous

« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2011, 02:06 am »
Why not buy another Powercell 4? You already like how it sounds. A second unit would allow you to physically separate digital and analog (a very good thing), and have 8 total outlets for your system. You would also save a chunk of cash.   8)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Powercells don't have any filtering, therefore there is little if any electrical separation. Based on what I know, which of course is not everything, you need to filter, or separate with an isolation transformer, digital from analog, power amps from source, etc. Then use separate powercells for each type of component. Many digital components have a filter in the IEC inlet already. These block noise only, and do almost nothing for line fluctuations.

The main advantage, and I am adamant about this, is with separate powercells, you can use a power cord which brings out the best performance of each type of equipment!

Best of luck on the saving money aspect. :scratch:

alan m. kafton

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2011, 02:18 am »
Electrical separation can be accomplished by having two dedicated circuits.

Further benefits would occur when separating digital from analog gear in this manner.  While ideal, it would be impractical for most people to filter each piece of gear separately.

tarquineous

« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2011, 03:13 am »
Remember, dedicated lines are connected together in the breaker panel. So they are not electrically separated. But this is an excellent way of reducing noise, by way of an EMR/Surge protector at the breaker panel. Dedicated lines normally improve the sound because of better wire used, and fewer if any series connections through duplex outlets, on the route to the A/V system. Other than that, all the house circuits are connected together at either Phase one or phase two of the utility supply transformer. These transformers normally supply many households in a neighborhood.

alan m. kafton

« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:27 am »
Yes, dedicated lines are connected "together" at the breaker panel, but there are ways to further isolate the circuits by placing them on the opposite phase from refrigerators, washer/dryer, AC, etc. etc. The only way that a piece of gear would be more isolated would be via the use of an isolation transformer, but you still (unless I've been misinformed) have an ultimate connection to the panel via the neutral connection.

Regardless of AC line conditioners/filters, whole house surge protection, isolation transformers, or other noise-reducing schemes, we are still at the mercy of the supply transformers in our neighborhoods. Some have it better than others if they live in a rural area with few end users, but we're still talking about relative noise reduction rather than true isolation.  There are the lucky few, however, that don't share a supply transformer with any neighbor, but how many of them are audiophiles concerned with dedicated circuits and common mode or differential mode noise reduction?

My advice remains for the original poster....buy another Powercell 4, and separate his digital gear from his analog gear.  It's not a perfect world.

tarquineous

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:35 am »
It's possible but very uncommon to have one phase connected to only the audio system, and the other phase for the rest of the house. The idea is to split the house, so that the average loads are close to equal. This is called balancing the phases. This is part of the house plan, before construction.

The best way is to run both phases to an Isolation/Step-down transformer (that would be 240 volts into the transformer), then have 120v out to the audio system, or part of it such as amps only, or source components only. Then of course the cost goes up. And the sound quality and protection. To this use a Powercell or more than one for components. Powercells are electricity enhancers for audio and video. They are not AC line filters.

tarquineous

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:47 am »
Yes, dedicated lines are connected "together" at the breaker panel, but there are ways to further isolate the circuits by placing them on the opposite phase from refrigerators, washer/dryer, AC, etc. etc. The only way that a piece of gear would be more isolated would be via the use of an isolation transformer, but you still (unless I've been misinformed) have an ultimate connection to the panel via the neutral connection.

Regardless of AC line conditioners/filters, whole house surge protection, isolation transformers, or other noise-reducing schemes, we are still at the mercy of the supply transformers in our neighborhoods. Some have it better than others if they live in a rural area with few end users, but we're still talking about relative noise reduction rather than true isolation.  There are the lucky few, however, that don't share a supply transformer with any neighbor, but how many of them are audiophiles concerned with dedicated circuits and common mode or differential mode noise reduction?

My advice remains for the original poster....buy another Powercell 4, and separate his digital gear from his analog gear.  It's not a perfect world.

No doubt it might improve the sound, but how do you propose "separating" the digital from the analog, if the Powercells are not filters or power factor correction ?

I would suggest looking inside of the digital devise, and see if it does have a filter. You may not need another PLC type filter. But who knows, sometimes an extra noise filter works.

rw@cn

« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2011, 01:48 pm »

This is exactly what I have done (although for other reasons which aren't yet realized). I also would recommend this to the OP.