Power Newbie: Electrician Coming

headshrinker2

Power Newbie: Electrician Coming
« on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:06 pm »
Greetings everyone,
I am meeting with an electrician later this week to discuss a household project.  I currently plug my 2-channel audio gear into a power strip (Wiremold) which is then plugged directly into a wall socket.  I'm considering upgrading the socket and/or having a dedicated line put in. 

Suggestions? 

Thanks

Phil A

Re: Power Newbie: Electrician Coming
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:50 pm »
Definitely a dedicated line with a receptacle just for the one circuit.  If you can do two receptacles on two circuits even better.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2011, 05:15 pm »
Definitely a dedicated line with a receptacle just for the one circuit.  If you can do two receptacles on two circuits even better.
+1

headshrinker2

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2011, 05:54 pm »
Thanks Phil.  How would one utilize two receptacles on two circuits?

Any specific instructions I should give the electrician?  Any thing I might want to consider for the outlet? 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:02 pm »
How would one utilize two receptacles on two circuits?
He will know.

Any specific instructions I should give the electrician? 
Be neat and clean.   :wink:  These are really basic things for a licensed electrician. 

Some will mention that the circuit(s) should be on the opposite side of your dryer, furnace, fridge.....

tvyankee

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2011, 06:04 pm »
Hello,

If you are going to do this you should take it a step further and go for 10 gauge wire and go for a isolated ground for the outlet if he's already running the wire.

I had this done and I think it makes a difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:05 pm »
If you are going to do a run of romex, I would use 12/3 because it is twisted in the jacket.  Here is a link about 12/3: http://www.eiwellspring.org/ChoosingHouseholdWiring.pdf

Dave

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:22 pm »

Ummmm, that 2nd circuit will greatly increase the likelyhood of ground loop hum and noise. If those outlets with individual circuits are a couple of feet from your panel, its probably not a problem.  Each separate circuit from your panel will have, by Code, its own safety ground wire running back to the panel. If distant from the panel, you are, by definition, increasing the ground loop length and the associated voltage drop and current flow on the ground.

FWIW, YMMV,
Paul

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2011, 09:29 pm »
"Occam" has it exactly correct!

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm »
Thanks Phil.  How would one utilize two receptacles on two circuits?

You can separate digital and analog devices.  For example if you have an analog preamp and power amp they may go on one circuit.  Digital devices on another. 

headshrinker2

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Much obliged.

rw@cn

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:29 pm »
If you want to be a bit extreme, you can ask the electrician to mount a separate circuit box from the mains. I know of one person that had a separate line and meter run from the power company's transformer. :icon_lol:

Occam

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:57 pm »
If you want to be a bit extreme, you can ask the electrician to mount a separate circuit box from the mains...

Its not extreme at all, if your system is any distance from your main panel, and you must have multiple circuits without a high probability of ground loops.
Your electrician would simply install a 'main lug' panel in (near) your AV room connecting it to your main breaker panel via an appropriate breaker in the main breaker panel. From that lug panel, the electrician would simply run multiple circuits with their own, appropriate breakers. [He also needs to remember to remove the neutral-ground bonding strap on the main lug panel].
As all the safety grounds of those circuits meet at the local main lug panel, the ground loop lengths are minimized, and will minimize the potential for ground loops and noise.

FWIW,
Paul

headshrinker2

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2011, 02:09 pm »
Thanks again everyone.  This very experienced electrician (he's trained a bunch of successful electricians over the years) has minimal experience doing what we are talking about.  He is open to any/all instructions and I will probably have him return to install the dedicated line.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2011, 02:48 pm »
You can put this Zero Surge filter while you are at it and protect your audio gear. 

jult52

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2013, 04:52 pm »
Can anyone give me a ballpark cost for installing a dedicated line?  I realize it will vary by geography, size of house, condition of electrical circuits, but please give me a rough estimate. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2013, 05:03 pm »
Can anyone give me a ballpark cost for installing a dedicated line?  I realize it will vary by geography, size of house, condition of electrical circuits, but please give me a rough estimate.
$150-$750  It will depend on access.  This is of course if you have enough room in your panel.

jult52

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2013, 07:45 pm »
Thanks.

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2013, 08:06 pm »
Greetings everyone,
I am meeting with an electrician later this week to discuss a household project.  I currently plug my 2-channel audio gear into a power strip (Wiremold) which is then plugged directly into a wall socket.  I'm considering upgrading the socket and/or having a dedicated line put in. 

Suggestions? 

Thanks

What do you think a dedicated line(s) are going to accomplish for you? There are lots of noise makers in your home already, and they are connected to your panel. Adding one more branch circuit will solve nothing, except for ampacity. I personally think you are better off treating what ever symptoms you have at your local outlet, or do you not have any symptoms?

The dedicated line is way over the head hype in my opinion and generally does nothing to solve most home bound noise inducers, like furnaces, refrigerators, AC units, lighting dimers and stuff like that. It just isn't that magic pill to cure all that everyone suggests. Besides, there is plenty of noise coming in from the street. How are you going to take care of that? The dedicated line wont fix anything like that.

Wayner

audiogoober

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2013, 08:54 pm »
What do you think a dedicated line(s) are going to accomplish for you? There are lots of noise makers in your home already, and they are connected to your panel. Adding one more branch circuit will solve nothing, except for ampacity. I personally think you are better off treating what ever symptoms you have at your local outlet, or do you not have any symptoms?

The dedicated line is way over the head hype in my opinion and generally does nothing to solve most home bound noise inducers, like furnaces, refrigerators, AC units, lighting dimers and stuff like that. It just isn't that magic pill to cure all that everyone suggests. Besides, there is plenty of noise coming in from the street. How are you going to take care of that? The dedicated line wont fix anything like that.

Wayner

You must be kidding. Again....Wayner.  All you seem to do lately is bash every post you comment on. Especially when the information is good.

Adding three dedicated lines made a huge improvement at my house with a flick of new breakers. Background noise went away immediately.

Grow Up. I know everybody always comments on your "Meds Being Wrong" but I call such behavior what it is. Dead wrong. :scratch: