Have you changed you favourite music genre when you got older?

PRELUDE

Today I was stoped behind the red light and realized that the car next to me keep looking at me and when I turned my head I saw he is my old friend.We both got excited and drove down to find a parking spot got out the car shook hands and I offerd him to go for a cup of coffee as far we did not see each other for 25 years.I told him leave the car I will drive.I start the car and JUDAS PRIEST [RAM IT DAOWN] just kicked out the speakers.He said oh my GOD,I just cannot believe you still listen to this stuff.I asked him,how about you and he said I only listen to smooth Jazz now. :cyclops:
I do not think age has anything to do with music genre and I even like it more now then before.

RLL1

In my case, I started listening to Rock in the sixties, and I am still listening to Rock today. I have added a lot of Blues to my collection, but as much as I have tried, I just can't seem to gain an appreciation for Jazz or Classical music.  :rock:

Rick

jimdgoulding

Listen to all kinds of music as my experience of it has progressed over the last 40 years tho I am more critical than ever.  Guess that comes with the territory.

emac

Started listening to electronic music a bit under 20 years ago and haven't stopped since.  My wife keeps asking me when I'm going to switch to some other style of music, but there's still plenty of new things out there for me to listen to.  So, as long as there are good electronic releases coming out, I'll continue to be into it. 

Teyry

Listened to mostly rock/metal growing up. I still love rock but also listen to jazz, blues, classical, new age, motown and country.

flintstone

I still listen to my old fave...rock music.......but I listen to blues, jazz, classical, new age, and country music just as often (maybe more?).......than rock (61 years old).

If it's good!.......I like it.

Dave

PRELUDE

I remember when I was who knows 13 or mabe 15,I saved my pocket money and went to the record store.I told the guy I want 2 tapes that rocks and he sold me AC/DC [let there be rock] and TED NUGENT [state of shock] and came back home.Wow the first song in Ted Nugent just changed my life.I played the same song 10 times then I got in fight with my mother. :duh:

PRELUDE

I still listen to my old fave...rock music.......but I listen to blues, jazz, classical, new age, and country music just as often (maybe more?).......than rock (61 years old).

If it's good!.......I like it.

Dave
Nice,that's the way to be. :thumb:

WGH

My musical tastes are just as eclectic as they were 40 years ago. Luckily Tucson has an eclectic community radio station too. KXCI plays a mix of classic rock along with new pop, jazz, electronica, and blues. New artists are played regularly so we get an excellent selection of current and sometimes challenging music. I don't have time to listen to any dinosaur rock, been there - done that, time to move forward.

I find out about new artists and recent releases of established artists by listening while I work. Current in my playlist includes the latest releases from The Thievery Corporation, Decemberists, Emmylou Harris, Gregg Allman, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, K.D. Lang, Bruce Cockburn, Steve Earle, Pieta Brown (Greg Brown's daughter), Tom Petty, Cowboy Junkies, and Zero 7.

Wayne

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I have to say i pretty much dispise 'oldies' radio. I dispise most of the songs drilled into my brain back in the 1960's over the air AM radio.
I can still listen with pleasure to stuff like  the Door's "Morrison Hotel" or the Beatles "Revolver" though.
I have added Jazz in the last dozen years to what i listen to. Prior to the last dozen years, I never listened to Jazz.
I enjoy a lot of new music too. I do not search out new stuff much, but when i find some I enjoy, I am happy.
Jazz I have to say i am still enjoying just learning about it, so the 1930s 1940, 1950 and 60's still hold sway for me in Jazz.
And i am in love with the British Proper Box Jazz sets. All those recordings from the 1930s, 40s, 50s from 78's on ProperBox CDs really are a wonderful resource.
Classical has pretty much stayed the same. Nothing new in the world of Classical IMO. But I still love to listen to it all the same. It was my first musical love..
And Rock I have been collecting all the five star Rock albums I can find, that I never heard before. On both Lp or CD. Latest new to me artist is 'long' John Baldry.
Other new to me guys are Paul Schutze, Adrian Belew...
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2011, 09:25 am by Elizabeth »

kingdeezie

Re: Have you changed you favourite music genre when you got older?
« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:10 am »
In my case, I started listening to Rock in the sixties, and I am still listening to Rock today. I have added a lot of Blues to my collection, but as much as I have tried, I just can't seem to gain an appreciation for Jazz or Classical music.  :rock:

Rick

This statement rings so true for me.

I try and try and try to get into jazz and classical, but for whatever reason I just can't connect with the music.

I listen to Rock, Blues, Metal, Country, R&B, Folk, you name it, but I can't latch onto these two specific genres.

I think for me it boils down to lyrics. I love listening to lyrics in combination with the music telling a story. Maybe one day the other stuff will click for me.

To answer the original question, as I get older my music selection becomes more diverse and selective; but I still maintain a liking for core genres I enjoyed ten years ago.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:19 am »
Nope----I still like Fusion now as much as I did when I was younger........I never listen to lyrics, never heard them much when I did recordings, and was thinging about the groove not the ryhme!! Well even today, I only listen to lyrics by Steely Dan, Dave Mathews, and some others but I look for/listen for the groove and the pocket.....its never changed. I'm 53......the first time I heard Pat Metheny Group in 78' -I said to myself "this is my kinda music, finally!!" :thumb: :thumb:

jaxwired

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:46 am »
I grew up in the 70's and early 80's.  I listened to tons of rock and went to dozens of rock concerts.  By the 90's I was burnt out on everything from that era.  Out of a music collection in the hundreds, I own less than 20 recordings that are pre 1995.   Just so many times I can listen to stairway to heaven.  I'm not saying it's not good.  In fact, the rock music from 1965 to 1979 is IMHO leagues better than later rock music.  I think mostly because it was more a creative endeavor and less of the formula process it became later.  However, it's just been played to death.  Luckily, we are in a renaissance of sorts for creative music talent.  Singer songwriter and indie bands are huge right now and that is the sweet spot for great new music.  Also, many older recordings are poorly recorded.  This modern stuff is beautifully recorded for the most part. 

gslashcpc

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2011, 05:03 am »
Great question...I still listen to all the music I enjoyed 45 years ago. As I age my tastes have widened out and I'm more willing to accept recommendations from others and to try artists that are new to me. In the late 60's/early 70's it was almost all classic soul and r&b. To answer the OP's question: There is no favorite genre for me. Labeling still confuses me but at this point in my life I like what I like 'cause I like it. It works.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2011, 05:13 am »
Like Jaxwired, I grew up on rock from the late 60's and early 70's.  However, I had a background in classical paino, so classical was always part of my listening.  Over the years, rock has been less a part of my listening (seems just a bit boring now-Stairway to Heaven syndrome) and classical and folk became my go to stuff.  Tonight, the menu included jazz trumpet, Artur Rubenstein on piano, ecletic guitar (Los Indios Tabajaras), Dave Brubeck, and a Windham Hill sampler.  It seems I'm taking a break from the guitarist/balladier that has been a big part of my listening over the past several years.
Never could listen to metal for more than a cut or two, rap and hiphop not at all. 

sfraser

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:14 am »
I like to tell people there are only two types of music......good music and bad music.  Everyone must make there own choice.

But yes my music genre has changed, or more accurately , expanded over the years... I can't think of any music that I did like, that I don't like now. The list just gets bigger.which quite frankly keeps me in the hobby.   Just about every thing is better with music...great sounding music is my minor passion , music is my major. Right after my wife and kids of course : )

Great question bt the way!

Photon46

« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm »
One of the great pleasures I've discovered as I'm getting older is that I appreciate more kinds of music. When you were young (if you grew up in the 60's through at least the 80's), you defined yourself in part by what kind of music you listened to. If something was deemed uncool by the group of people you wanted to hang with, you weren't likely to listen to something with an open mind that could get you ostracized. That mindset really doesn't hold much power over me anymore and I can listen to stuff that baffled me or turned me off decades ago. Now that I'm older, I listen to classical music probably 75% of the time though. I've learned a lot more about music by reading, taken music appreciation courses in college, & taught myself to play guitar. When you learn the basics of  how music is made or composed, it helps to broaden your perspective and horizons.

Freo-1

« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2011, 01:02 pm »
In a word, yes. 

While I still enjoy some of the music I listened to in my youth, I have found that other artists that I used to like are now no longer enjoyable. I grew up listening to a various big band, jazz, classical, and underground music.  So as not to offend anyone, will not mention any artists by name, as music preferences are intensely personal choices, and there is no right or wrong choices.

Now that I'm of a certain age, my morning music selections driving to work is mostly classical or pops (classical) as opposed to the latest rock/blues jams released.  Some music, such as the legacy blues/jazz artists, will always be enjoyable (when one is "in the mood"),  while a fair bit of rock no longer holds my interest.

Non amplified live music what I now enjoy most of all.  There is so much music still to discover, which is one of the joys of this hobby. 

Nick77

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2011, 01:29 pm »
I too find myself in the "cant listen to rock much anymore" group. I really dont feel it has much of a place in an audiophile system cause it will sound the same as on getto blaster if you ask me. I still like a few old rock classics but smooth jazz is most appealing now.

jaxwired

« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2011, 01:52 pm »
One more conributing factor is the quality of my system.  There is alot of music that I find riveting on my high end system, but almost boring if I pop it into my (really poor) car stereo.  People like to mock audiophiles for listening to weird or boring music, but that's because they've never heard it on a high end system.  A high end system allows many recordings to reveal their true beauty that a lesser system somehow obscures.