Have you changed you favourite music genre when you got older?

1oldguy

jjc1

Re: Have you changed you favourite music genre when you got older?
« Reply #61 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:59 pm »
I remember when Rap/hip hop was first starting,I was in my teens...........Even then I realized it went against all the criteria that music should be.
I always felt angry when I would be subjected to it.And lets face it.....the goal of rap isn't to make you feel good and relax and sooth you....It to get you to feel upset,it a street music for people who demand change or the hell with you kinda vibe.So no....Rap and all that goes with it goes against everything I want music to be.
And no it wasn't  because of the gear I had.....I hate rap/hip hop/ on a deep a level as I am capable of hating anything.It's a music that represents the times/the angry.With all life pressures I want to feel good and refreshed not pissed when I listen to my system.

But once again this is how I see it,and clearly I'm not the only one who has a sour taste for garbage.

You made one mistake. You referred to that crap as music!

srb

« Reply #62 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:04 pm »
You made one mistake. You referred to that crap as music!

If you find Rap/Hip Hop performance entertaining (for some unexplicable reason), fair enough, but I agree it's inaccurate to label it as "music" which is a combination of melody, harmony and rhythm.  You might also very much enjoy pogo-sticking or hula-hooping as a valid form of entertainment, but wouldn't label those repetetive actions as "dance".

Steve

milford3

« Reply #63 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:10 pm »

Gothic all the way.  This DVD concert is a must have for all Gothic fans.  And no,  my favorite music has not changed in 35 years. 

rob80b

« Reply #64 on: 25 Aug 2011, 04:18 pm »
Being almost 60 I find I just keep adding to my listening experience, always open to listen to something new or something old I’ve yet to experience. Music is sort of like going down a river, I try not to get nostalgic, I’ve a thousand discs or more from the 70/80/90s which I have not listened to in years, but my thirst and curiosity to hear something fresh, new and challenging to the senses has not diminished, always 3 steps forward 1 step back. In the last few years literally just discovered Radiohead, the Notwist, Noah and the Whale etc who I’ve given a lot of air play at home and in the car, but a typical listening session might start with some Depeche Mode or Kraftwek followed by a string quartet, then a bit of Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor, Art Ensemble of Chicago and some 60s Yousef Lateef, later some Verdi opera, Stavinsky, Stockhausen, George Crumb or Sigur Rós followed up by Rammstein (modern opera?) or some György Ligeti and vintage Klaus Schultz. Keeping it Canadian with some Feist or Sarah Harmer.                                                 
For a bit of nostalgia, Todd Rundgren, Stones, Jethro Tull, early Peter Hammill or Cat Stevens thrown in a blue moon.
Like seeing Fripp and ENO putting out new and engaging works, or an aging John Cale still performing live.
Cheering things up with Ian Curtis and Joy Division, or Comsat Angels and The Sisters of Mercy.
And of course my 12 year old keeps me abreast with the likes of Lady Gaga, Selena Gomez et al.

Funny though, in my 20s and 30s I spent most of my time listening to classical and the “avant garde, being a composer of modern electro-acoustic music myself, so I thought I’d see myself latter in life curling up with a good book with some non descriptive classical music in the back-round, truth is I still want music to challenge me, to be non predictable and at reasonably loud levels, never sitting in the background.  The actual choice of artists continually change and I’m not going out without kicking and screaming and always with something new.

So...... "Have you changed you favourite music genre when you got older?"

Hard to say, I try to listen to everything so I do not believe I've ever had a genre as such, it's all just organized sound to me, I either like it or not.

Robert

geowak

« Reply #65 on: 25 Aug 2011, 07:47 pm »
Yes I have and most friends of mine have also changed their music genre. BUT there are a few that are locked into the 70's rock and some locked into 80's rock. One still has his old Barricuda with the 8 track player. He has a Pat Travers tape in the player.

I started into rock of the 70's (doobie brothers), moved into hard rock (robin trower), metal (sabbeth), and southern rock (lynerd skynerd). I was into pop rock and european rock (david bowie, elton john) moved into INXS and and Simple Minds and Scorpians.
then it was Metallica and Eric clapton. All SAE equipment at the time and a Thorens belt driven turntable. ANALOG!!!

After which it shifted to weird rock, blues, easy listening, folk singers. Simon and Garfunkle, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, John Lee Hooker, and even Manfred Mann.

Now it is Jazz and female singers like Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall, Natalie Merchant.

There is one album and (band) that I can ALWAYS listen to and is timeless for me.
PINK FLOYD, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. A truly great album, just awesome.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #66 on: 27 Aug 2011, 02:45 pm »
Gothic all the way.  This DVD concert is a must have for all Gothic fans.  And no,  my favorite music has not changed in 35 years. 

I built that set. Lots of work.
Sharon is a really nice woman, it is funny to see how she transforms from goth/metal singer to mommy of a few kids.