Disc Drawer Issue

RLL1

Disc Drawer Issue
« on: 17 Aug 2011, 07:54 pm »
At least once a day since the weekend, I have encountered issues with the closing / opening operation of the disc drawer on my BCD. The following scenarios have occurred:

Drawer stopped while closing (disc in tray)

Drawer stopped while closing (no disc in tray)

Drawer stopped while opening (disc in tray)

Drawer opened, and then immediately closed again after opening (disc in tray)

When the drawer is stopped in a partially open position, the open / close button will sometimes move the drawer, but not always in the planned direction. At that point error messages occur. However, if you turn the unit off, and then back on, the drawer returns to the closed position, and all normal functionality returns.

I know I am being optimistic, but I am hoping that others have experienced this, and it has corrected itself once the player is broken in.

Rick

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Disc Drawer Issue
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2011, 09:15 pm »

Rick :  Sounds like your BCD didn't make it to " broken-in " and stalled at " broken "...

D.D.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm »
 I had what seems the same with my previous player(Cary 302). It was a failure of a chip in the closing matrix ( whatever that is) It was a 125$ repair. I guess this could happen in any player. I have had the BCD for almost two years without a problem. It is superb but expect the unexpected. :  :dunno:

VOLKS

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:04 am »
Same here.....almost 2 years with my BCD-1....never had an issue

RLL1

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:08 am »
Looks like I had better call the dealer.

Rick

Diamond Dog

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2011, 01:28 am »

Massive downer when your new gear craps out, Rick. I just went through that with the last piece I bought. Sent it in and it came back a month later semi-fixed...still working with my dealer ( who has been great  :thumb: ) to resolve this and we will. Still, a big disappointment none the less. 

D.D.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:22 am »
well, it dosen't seem like it's ever going to 'break-in'...

Not sure about modern players with err codes.. but there could be something wrong with the the belt linking the gears to open/close the tray.  I'm guessing sticky lubricant or it just partially went off the gear.

The same happened to my old Philips LHH1000 several times in the past 20 years, it was the belts. A fresh $2 rubber belt would fix that perfectly. 

RLL1

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:17 pm »
Massive downer when your new gear craps out, Rick. I just went through that with the last piece I bought. Sent it in and it came back a month later semi-fixed...still working with my dealer ( who has been great  :thumb: ) to resolve this and we will. Still, a big disappointment none the less. 

D.D.

Yeah D.D., when things fall apart a week after delivery, the excitement of the purchase goes out the door, and you start to wonder if this is just the beginning. When I contact the dealer, I'm going to try and trade it in on a BDP-1.

Rick

amblin

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:36 pm »
Yeah D.D., when things fall apart a week after delivery, the excitement of the purchase goes out the door, and you start to wonder if this is just the beginning. When I contact the dealer, I'm going to try and trade it in on a BDP-1.

Rick

Exactly. a MF unit in my PMC MB2i went bad  just 2 weeks after delivery. I was so freaked out.  :duh:

But their superb customer service ironed out the bump in no time. Their dealer (PMC + Bryston)arrived and inspected it the SAME day i reported the problem , took the pair away and delivered a brand new pair of speakers at the SAME time.  :thumb: how can you beat that. lol. So don't worry,because both PMC and Bryston had superb customer service.

On the other hand, i know some dodgy dealers may try to deliberately drop the ball ,usually the lower end of the chain with no direct access to the brands they r selling. In this case, contact bryston directly, those good peoples will sort it out for you.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:16 pm »
Rick

Rick :  Steady as she goes, bud. Just don't go rushing into something prematurely especially if you're going to take a hit doing it. Give 'em a chance to do right by you and then see how it plays out after that. A wonky drive can be R 'n' R'd and you're back in the game. In my case, we've passed that stage already and we don't see the situation as being rectifiable as the repair avenue has already been explored with less than optimal results so we're going another route. Don't get bent out of shape over it. It's just stuff...

D.D.   

amblin

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2011, 07:37 pm »
Yeah, think about the chap with ruined Nautilus soft domes i posted earlier. I assure you he's quite calm.  :icon_lol:

Well he almost ate his son. But that's rather a father and son problem. Not the equiptment. So he's calm.    :green:

headshrinker2

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:04 pm »
 :lol:
Yeah, think about the chap with ruined Nautilus soft domes i posted earlier. I assure you he's quite calm.  :icon_lol:

Well he almost ate his son. But that's rather a father and son problem. Not the equiptment. So he's calm.    :green:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:26 pm »

The kid still lives?!? wow...

headshrinker2

« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:53 pm »
Yup.

Looks like I had better call the dealer.

Rick

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:13 pm »
It is very depressing when something like this happens.

I remember when my Esoteric X-05 experienced a mechanical failure with the disc clamping unit (please read that the clamping unit broke off). What a horriable noise it made. I even remember the CD I was playing - Nirvana ~Unplugged in New York.~ Ironically, I have not mustered enough strength to play this CD again and I was planning on replacing it altogether with a new one, call me superstitious.

What made all the difference in the world was that my dealer was there for me and everything worked out great. They also told me that this was the first time something like this had happened to their drive units. Sigh, I guess that I am really special - at least that is what many people tell me  :duh:

Hope everything works out for you.

Be well...   

RLL1

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:14 pm »
Problem solved....traded for BDP-1. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Rick

lanchile

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:28 pm »

Rick

Excellent choice! :thumb:

headshrinker2

« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2011, 05:31 pm »
Now that's one way to solve a problem!  Please report back with your reactions.  My BCD-1 is feeling very insecure these days...

Rick have you chosen a digital cable?

Rick

RLL1

« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2011, 05:46 pm »
Now that's one way to solve a problem!  Please report back with your reactions.  My BCD-1 is feeling very insecure these days...

Rick have you chosen a digital cable?

I should have went with the BDP-1 in the first place. I already had a comparable CD player in a second system, that was only getting used once or twice a year for background music. I will try out my Harmonic Tech Magic Digital Two AES/EBU with the BDP-1.

Rick

Diamond Dog

« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2011, 06:15 pm »

Rick

Rick :  Good luck with the BDP-1. I hope you got a fair shake from your dealer on the trade-in.

D.D.