Kid + Soft dome = disaster.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
Kid + Soft dome = disaster.
« on: 15 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm »
I'm sure many of us already experienced the 'kid+soft dome = disaster' scenario and invented all sorts of techniques to fix just that.  But look at this one.   

Not really a Bryston related topic but i'm a bryston user and so is my friend,  the owner of this Nautilus.  :icon_lol:  feel free to post around and amaze your friends. I took the pic and the owner already agreed to share his...... Surprise.  :icon_lol:

------------------
EDIT:
Apart from the Nautilus tragedy, there's also a cheerful home cinema setup. I bet even James would be quite impressed..

As a die hard 2ch (i love my 14B+BP26 setup),  i once thought all multi-channel processors were just small light-weight box filled with cheap digital ic and plastic and a home cinema = just a silly , over complicated and costy amusement compaired to the cheap, healthy and pleasant walk to the $10 local cinema .. but hmmmm... .....

Behold! the sheer awesomeness of power, aluminium and green LEDs...

A FLEEEEEEET of 4B, 7B & 14B SST2s.  it'll take quite some time to power on/off all those amps.....i'm sure of that.  :icon_lol:

« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2011, 09:01 pm by amblin »

RLL1

Re: Kid + Soft dome = disaster.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:06 pm »
Yikes!!  :o

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:16 pm »
A simple 230 volt mesh on the floor would have sufficed...

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:48 pm »
A simple 230 volt mesh on the floor would have sufficed...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

D.D.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:12 pm »
The tweeter might be able to pulled out by tape.  A friend of mine many moons ago had a tweeter like that from his son and I believe gently used masking tape to get most of it out.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:38 pm »
it's stiffer than i thought, like the semi-soft metallic stuff on some german made units.  We tried the red 3M and silver 100mph tape on the top tweeter but failed and just made it worse..

I was thinking maybe he can 'suck' it out so it would simply pop back to shape like a ping-pong ball, but oh well, i figured he'd hit me with a big stick or sth if i said that.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:39 pm »
Take it out of the kids college fund.  :lol:

1oldguy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:52 pm »
I have a nephew that likes to run around the only space I have.So needless to say I am reluctant to set up my gear.
Once I acquire all the gear I need/want, then I can entertain  moving to a new place.One that
will give my gear some breathing room/safety.I must be the most patient audiophile known to man. :duh:

headshrinker2

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:55 pm »
Man, that is not a pretty site.   I recently had damage done to my speakers when the kids were playing.  How I long for a dedicated listening room....

werd

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:56 pm »
I have a nephew that likes to run around the only space I have.So needless to say I am reluctant to set up my gear.
Once I acquire all the gear I need/want, then I can entertain  moving to a new place.One that
will give my gear some breathing room/safety.I must be the most patient audiophile known to man. :duh:

I have two kids and they use to go behind my system. Its not good and why i put mouse pads on the top of my dac (protection). I have my 14B tucked away at the bottom of my rack buts its protected and Bryston faceplates are like tanks. Once my kids are more grown up my system will look a lot different. I keep my grills on 24/7 and i push my speakers back into the wall when they have friends over.

Ml's are the best speaker for kids imo. The panels will take a lot of abuse and not show wear or sound different.

1oldguy

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:00 pm »
Looks like the only solution for some of us is to be abducted by James. 8) :) 8)

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:53 pm »
Well, you have to admit that speaker does look like a Space Alien, or the Creature from the Black Lagoon, just waiting for a little fist in the eye or mouth. :duh:

1oldguy

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:02 pm »
Well, you have to admit that speaker does look like a Space Alien, or the Creature from the Black Lagoon, just waiting for a little fist in the eye or mouth. :duh:

You may be on to something...........John Carpenter kinda material for sure.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:12 pm »
Did you try one of the paintless dent repair services that pulls dents out of auto sheet metal?

Though I am not sure even they could save the mid... :cry:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:27 pm »
That pic is the reason why I'm looking for on-wall speakers.

I stumbled upon a website while my wife was pregnant called "shit my kids ruined."

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:29 pm »
Wow, what a tragedy. I bet the replacements from B&W aren't cheap!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:32 pm »
Wow, what a tragedy. I bet the replacements from B&W aren't cheap!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:37 pm »
 :D

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:52 pm »
You know those Klipsh horns are about darn near indestructable.  I bet they're sufficiently kid-proof.

HsvHeelFan

headshrinker2

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:55 pm »
I was planning a nice surround sound set-up in my family room when my kids were very young.   One of my kids pulled down a Vandersteen 1B (spikes and all) and it almost totally him.  Needless to say, the project was scrapped for a long time.  I bought myself a pair of B&W DM303 bookshelf speakers that sat on top of the entertainment center.  They actually didn't sound too bad up there!