Kid + Soft dome = disaster.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Re: Kid + Soft dome = disaster.
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2011, 08:41 pm »
Hi Amblin,I wrote earlier,but it didn't go,so here goes again.20 years ago I built a pair of speakers.I broke the cardinal rule and did not protect the tweeter with my hand.The screw driver slipped,and I put a dent just like the one in your tweeter.It was a Dynaudio A-28 dome for 60 bucks then.Quickly thinking,I did a(reverse)CPR,bent down and sucked the dent out with my mouth,I'm sure this will fuel a lot of jokes,but it worked with no visual or audible damage.The tweeter still tweets today!Give it a try,you have nothing to lose.......Mark Korda

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:05 pm »
You might be able to suck the tweeter dome back to a reasonable shape, but I doubt if it will work for that mid.  Can you disassemble the driver to carefully remove the dome? If so, you might be able to attack it from the reverse side. 

WC

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm »
On my new to me center channel, I had one boy push in the passive radiator and the other one pushed in the dust cap on the woofer. Passive radiator was able to be easily pushed out from behind. I used a vacumn on the woofer to get it to pop back out. I keep the grills on all the time now. I only had it off to refoam the woofers. They don't seem to bother the speakers with the grills on. My speakers cost a lot less than yours, so I wasn't as upset when it happened. :roll:

srb

« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm »
Quickly thinking,I did a (reverse) CPR, bent down and sucked the dent out with my mouth, I'm sure this will fuel a lot of jokes, but it worked with no visual or audible damage.

Except perhaps to your soul.

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:04 pm »
it's stiffer than i thought, like the semi-soft metallic stuff on some german made units.  We tried the red 3M and silver 100mph tape on the top tweeter but failed and just made it worse..

I was thinking maybe he can 'suck' it out so it would simply pop back to shape like a ping-pong ball, but oh well, i figured he'd hit me with a big stick or sth if i said that.

Have you tried removing the tweeter?  They take out dents from car doors (perhaps talk to the people who do that type of work?) for not tons of money so I'd think there is a possibility it can de done.

mhconley

« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm »
I purchased a pair of Paradigm surround speakers on eBay that came with dinged aluminum tweeters.  Paradigm support provided me instructions for disassembling the tweeter to replace the dome.  I disassembled the tweeters and used a popsicle stick to rework the dinged domes from the rear.  The all look and function perfect.

Martin

headshrinker2

« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

srb,
You have too much time on your hands!

Except perhaps to your soul.

brucek

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm »
Since I don't have the patience that 1oldguy does, I wasn't ready to wait until my grandkids grew up before installing my speakers.

My Paradigm Studio 100 rear surrounds were quite exposed to curious fingers, so I fashioned a hidden safety grill.

Studio 100 with grill on:

Studio 100 with grill off:

srb

« Reply #28 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm »
srb,
You have too much time on your hands!

I know, but I am incredibly quick with simple computer manipulations, usually a lot quicker than the time it takes to think of what to actually say in a reply.

What struck me as particularly funny though, was not the mouth-to-dome resuscitation itself, but the lightning quick administration of it in a most certain life and death circumstance!

Steve

sfraser

« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:32 am »
You know those Klipsh horns are about darn near indestructable.  I bet they're sufficiently kid-proof.

HsvHeelFan
My Lascala's would would likely hurt his fists...but I woud be afraid the little character might crawl inside and take a pee!

tesseract

« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2011, 03:52 am »
I listened to a pair of used Nautilus a month or so ago at a local dealer. It had a few small dents in some of the drivers that made me cringe. Nothing like this though, WOW.    :(

Gotta be mindful, a speaker like this is a kid magnet.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:59 am »
update, the owner already sent the pair back to his dealer, the dealer was ... shocked.
 :icon_lol: and not so sure regarding the price on those replacement units.  They said the units were custom made/fitted and matched. So expect at least 2-3 months and 'some thousands' .

further more, the snail's shell is showing damage as well, some small dents here and there. oh well,  :duh: maybe i should chicken web my MB2is just in case some little devils got into the house.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2011, 06:50 am »
Hey Steve,I knew the jokes would come forth,but this tweeter would cost 120.00 today,and it is not obtainable from Dynaudio anymore,they don't sell (Raw)drivers anymore,and I was not building my speakers in the nude.....you guys are great! It is a true story....Mark Korda

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2011, 08:18 am »
Hey Steve,I knew the jokes would come forth,but this tweeter would cost 120.00 today,and it is not obtainable from Dynaudio anymore,they don't sell (Raw)drivers anymore,and I was not building my speakers in the nude.....you guys are great! It is a true story....Mark Korda

i'm sure 'tweeter kissing' would work. Because I played ping pong back in the 80s, and suck the .. ping pong 'technique' was a tried and proven way of resurrecting damaged balls.   but.. ha ha ha ha :icon_lol:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #34 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:32 pm »
update, the owner already sent the pair back to his dealer, the dealer was ... shocked.
 :icon_lol: and not so sure regarding the price on those replacement units.  They said the units were custom made/fitted and matched. So expect at least 2-3 months and 'some thousands' .

further more, the snail's shell is showing damage as well, some small dents here and there. oh well,  :duh: maybe i should chicken web my MB2is just in case some little devils got into the house.

Thanks for the update. Good luck to your friend.

Take a look here: http://bwgroup-support.com/partspriceavail.html

and type 'NAUTILUS' in the search box.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:37 pm »
Since I don't have the patience that 1oldguy does, I wasn't ready to wait until my grandkids grew up before installing my speakers.

My Paradigm Studio 100 rear surrounds were quite exposed to curious fingers, so I fashioned a hidden safety grill.

Studio 100 with grill on:

Studio 100 with grill off:

Nice!  :thumb: