Other preamps paired with Bryston amps?

jaxwired

Other preamps paired with Bryston amps?
« on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:06 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm curious what non bryston preamps people have tried with Bryston amps.  I recently purchased a conrad-johnson preamp and it is superb.  I'm pretty sure my BP6 is staying, but the CJ is terrific also.  They do sound quite different.  I love them both for different reasons.

Anyone else experimented with mixing and matching other preamp with their bryston amps?

Phil A

Re: Other preamps paired with Bryston amps?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:14 am »
For a bit I had a 14BSST with my Modwright LS36.5DM.  Here is a review of the regular LS36.5 with the 14BSST that got my interest in trying the combo - http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/preamps/ModWright_LS36.shtml

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:34 am »
I home auditioned an ARC Ref-5 :thumb:.
Actually I like my BP-26 and Ref-5.
I would have both,but have been wondering about the Vac Markii pre.
Nice to be able to switch pre's depending on the mood,we'll seeeeeeeeee.
James has it good,real good,four audio  rooms.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2011, 01:26 pm by drummermitchell »

Ron D

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:20 am »
I've had various levels of success with Rogue, Hovland, Lamm and ARC

G E

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:45 am »
Bel Canto Pre 6 multichannel with great results

schugh

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:52 am »
I am using an ARC LS17.  -- Sanjay

bjski

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:03 pm »
I'm using a Bat 32SE, with 7sst/2. The rest of the system is all Bryston BCD-1,BDA-1,BDP-1. The system rocks.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2011, 04:18 pm »

Manley Jumbo Shrimp over 7BSST 2 - I am, as the British say: "Well Pleased " with the outcome.  :thumb:

D.D.

PRELUDE

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2011, 09:04 pm »
I have been using the Sonic Frontiers line 2 for a long time now and been happy.
Also I did try the Sonic Frontiers line 3,Copland CTA305 and the CJ premier17ls.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95073.0

Alphonse

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:10 am »
I was using a Placette Passive for awhile with my PP300SSTs. My brother is now using it with his 3BST. Very clean and detailed.
Right now I am using a PS Audio PerfectWave Dac/Pre balanced to the PP300SSTs. Sounds great. Not getting rid of the BP6 though.

Al

robb

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:19 am »
Great sound from my Jeff Rowland Capri Preamp balanced connected to my Bryston 4bsst2 amplifier

SoundGame

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:22 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm curious what non bryston preamps people have tried with Bryston amps.  I recently purchased a conrad-johnson preamp and it is superb.  I'm pretty sure my BP6 is staying, but the CJ is terrific also.  They do sound quite different.  I love them both for different reasons.

Anyone else experimented with mixing and matching other preamp with their bryston amps?

Hey Jaxwired:

What are you hoping to get more / less of than you do with the BP6?  What are the differences you perceive in the sonics by using the CJ pre vs. the BP6 (pros/cons)? 

There are a ton of preamps out there but using your BP6 as a reference point - what are you seeking?  If it's just more of the same sound i.e. more details, darker background, larger soundstage then perhaps an audition of a BP26 might be in order - with a fully balanced connection.  If it's something different...such as tube-magic you see then that is a different story.

I would say that if you like the sound of the BP6 and are satisfied with it but want more of the same - you will be very hard pressed to find anything (solid-state) better to work with your 4B-SST2 then the B26 with MPS-2.  In the solid-state realm, my next preamp I would look into is the SimAudio Moon preamps (another Canadian brand).  They provide a slightly more musical performance vs. clinical accuracy that Bryston is know for.  Next you have the various hybrid preamps out there such as ARC as well as full tube preamps.  All of which will provide tube-magic but with other compromises such as typically higher-distortion and noise levels, as well as increased maintenance/tuning etc.

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:42 pm »
Nice!

BAT 51SE, with 7Bsst. Don't look back.  :thumb: 

I'm using a Bat 32SE, with 7sst/2. The rest of the system is all Bryston BCD-1,BDA-1,BDP-1. The system rocks.

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:48 pm »
That is a great review.

For a bit I had a 14BSST with my Modwright LS36.5DM.  Here is a review of the regular LS36.5 with the 14BSST that got my interest in trying the combo - http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/preamps/ModWright_LS36.shtml

SoundGame

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:08 pm »
Here's a review of the SimAudio preamp I would consider:

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=267:simaudio-moon-350p-preamplifier&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

I thought I would share this, as well.  Not on preamps but interesting in terms of the difference in the "house-sound" of Bryston vs. SimAudio.  The 4B-SST/2 compared to the 400M monoblocks.

http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=231:simaudio-moon-400m-mono-amplifiers

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:21 pm »
I own a Sovereign Director. It costs about US$ 16000.00, and hearing it next to the BP 26 there is no comparisan. The BP 26 is left in the very dark shade.
It truly brings out the best in the power amps.

SoundGame

« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:30 pm »
I own a Sovereign Director. It costs about US$ 16000.00, and hearing it next to the BP 26 there is no comparisan. The BP 26 is left in the very dark shade.
It truly brings out the best in the power amps.

Hi Anonamemouse - I saw that earlier in your system list.  Noticed you had it paired with a 4B-SST2.  Did you buy that preamp new?  If so, how did you rationalize the pairing with the 4B-SST2 and not with a more expensive amplfier to "perhaps" better match the performance level you state with the Sovereign Director?  Just curious. :scratch:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2011, 03:42 pm »
Hi Anonamemouse - I saw that earlier in your system list.  Noticed you had it paired with a 4B-SST2.  Did you buy that preamp new?  If so, how did you rationalize the pairing with the 4B-SST2 and not with a more expensive amplfier to "perhaps" better match the performance level you state with the Sovereign Director?  Just curious. :scratch:

I indeed bought it new, about 9 months ago. I actually drove to Germany to pick it up at the company owners home, we had a very interesting afternoon at his place. Very interesting and friendly man.

I do not need a heavier amp than the 4B SST2. I do not listen to my music at high volume, the 4B SST2 is more than sufficient. All Bryston amps sound the same, the only difference is the power.

Apart from that, 175 Watt while idle alone is too much already, I don't feel like throwing away money just because my power amp is on. It is possible to lower that to only a few Watts, which is something I think Bryston should look into. If that does not change I will eventually move away from Bryston. Not because of the sound, but because the power use is too high.

bjski

« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:06 pm »
BAT 51SE, with 7Bsst. Don't look back. 

Gotta love the preamp! What color is yours? I went with the black and silver. I mixed the color of the Bryston's, amps silver,CD silver, BDA and BDP black. Dosen't look bad with the color scheme of the Bat. :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:21 pm »
I have silver and black. :thumb:

BAT 51SE, with 7Bsst. Don't look back. 

Gotta love the preamp! What color is yours? I went with the black and silver. I mixed the color of the Bryston's, amps silver,CD silver, BDA and BDP black. Dosen't look bad with the color scheme of the Bat. :thumb: