Bryston Drive Enclosure

terrycym

Re: Bryston Drive Enclosure
« Reply #40 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:29 pm »
That is really very very bad news. I am surprised it is that difficult and expensive to be honest, and it would have been a real bonus to BDP owners.

:thumbdown:

I agree :bawl: :bawl:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:42 pm »
So what would the target price have to be to make it worth-while - no drives of course.

james

JfTM

« Reply #42 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:43 pm »
That is really very very bad news. I am surprised it is that difficult and expensive to be honest, and it would have been a real bonus to BDP owners.

:thumbdown:

I suspect that building a drive enclosure wouldn't be that expensive, building a Byston enclosure with Bryston quality (e.g. power supplies) probably would be.

terrycym

« Reply #43 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:47 pm »
I suspect that building a drive enclosure wouldn't be that expensive, building a Byston enclosure with Bryston quality (e.g. power supplies) probably would be.

I don't agree.
Can't see why you need an expensive "Bryston quality" power supply.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:49 pm »
I don't agree.
Can't see why you need an expensive "Bryston quality" power supply.

Hi,

I would not do it unless I could do it to Bryston quality levels.

james

JfTM

« Reply #45 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:56 pm »
Hi,

james

Exactly!   That's one of the reason I, and others, buy Bryston  :thumb:

terrycym

« Reply #46 on: 1 Nov 2011, 03:58 pm »
Hi,
james

Rightfully so but surely the power supply requirements for a hard disk would be different to that required for a pre-amplifier for example?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 1 Nov 2011, 04:02 pm »
Rightfully so but surely the power supply requirements for a hard disk would be different to that required for a pre-amplifier for example?

Hi Terry,

Correct but noise floor etc. are still very important.

james

srb

« Reply #48 on: 1 Nov 2011, 04:08 pm »
So what would the target price have to be to make it worth-while - no drives of course.

$1500 ?

Steve

terrycym

« Reply #49 on: 1 Nov 2011, 04:35 pm »
Hi Terry,

Correct but noise floor etc. are still very important.

james

But it's a hard disk!!

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #50 on: 3 Nov 2011, 07:58 am »
All you need is a 2 unit high box with a front plate with the Bryston logo, a decent power supply, some shielding and a few docks inside.

Something like this in reverse would do the trick

A powerswitch isn't even really needed, this can be triggered from the BDP. It is not neccessary to be off when the BDP is on, and there is no need to have it on when the BDP is off.

terrycym

« Reply #51 on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:21 am »
This looks like a SAN box from a data centre, probably noisy as hell but the idea is up there.

Chris, any ideas?
I believe Alpha came up with some ideas a page or two back in this thread.

I, too like Alpha, bought drives on the strength of James's previous statements that a Bryston solution would be forthcoming.
If I knew otherwise, I would have made other choices.

nikon

« Reply #52 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:17 pm »

james

James

Could it be done for $1250 - 1500 or so. I think pricing in this window would be worthwhile (no drives)  :o

Steven

terrycym

« Reply #53 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:22 pm »
James
Could it be done for $1250 - 1500 or so. I think pricing in this window would be worthwhile (no drives)  :o
Steven

I think that $1500 (US I presume) which probably equates to £1600 sterling, a bit steep. Anybody here prepared to pay that?

James, give us a price and let the market decide.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #54 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:24 pm »
James

Steven

Seems pricey to me.

To be honest, my external drives are working perfectly and are dead silent.

What exactly is my motivation to move to the drive enclosure?

George

srb

« Reply #55 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:29 pm »
I think that $1500 (US I presume) which probably equates to £1600 sterling, a bit steep. Anybody here prepared to pay that?

In a previous topic, several Bryston users wanted James to stick an Oppo Blu-ray player inside a Bryston enclosure and said they would gladly pay an extra $1000 for the Bryston "look".

With that in mind, $1500 for a drive enclosure doesn't seem out of line.  That would be pure insanity to me, but apparently it would be quite sane and wonderful for some others that are really into the Bryston look.  The question is how many?  Probably not enough to justify design and production.

Steve

terrycym

« Reply #56 on: 4 Nov 2011, 04:04 pm »
For those of use not willing to pay $1500 for a Bryston drive enclosure any recommendations for a 3rd party USB drive enclosure that will take multiple 2 1/2" sata drives?
2 1/2" sata would be preferable to 3 1/2" as they tend to be quieter.
Concatenated, JBOD, RAID0 & RAID1 modes would be good.

And it needs to be quiet   

I should make it clear, I'm looking for an empty enclosure that I can add my own drives.
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2011, 06:02 pm by terrycym »

Alpha10

« Reply #57 on: 4 Nov 2011, 07:42 pm »

In a previous topic, several Bryston users wanted James to stick an Oppo Blu-ray player inside a Bryston enclosure and said they would gladly pay an extra $1000 for the Bryston "look".

With that in mind, $1500 for a drive enclosure doesn't seem out of line.  That would be pure insanity to me, but apparently it would be quite sane and wonderful for some others that are really into the Bryston look.  The question is how many?  Probably not enough to justify design and production.

Steve

To be honest I was thinking around £1000 GBP, which would equate to about $1000 USD there, I would pay that. If it actually came down to paying $1500, well probably yes! That is my choice alone and I would understand why others think that too much.

Cheers

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #58 on: 4 Nov 2011, 07:48 pm »
For those of use not willing to pay $1500 for a Bryston drive enclosure any recommendations for a 3rd party USB drive enclosure that will take multiple 2 1/2" sata drives?
2 1/2" sata would be preferable to 3 1/2" as they tend to be quieter.
Concatenated, JBOD, RAID0 & RAID1 modes would be good.

And it needs to be quiet   

I should make it clear, I'm looking for an empty enclosure that I can add my own drives.

Terry,

Is there a reason you need a separate enclosure for your drives instead of using the existing 4 usb ports?

BTW, I am using (2) 2TB 3 1/2" drives and they are very quiet.  I had to go this route due to the size of my collection.

George

terrycym

« Reply #59 on: 4 Nov 2011, 07:54 pm »
£1000 GBP would be absolutely top whack for me too.
£750 (or cheaper!) would be better though.

For that price I would want a trigger input so that the BDP-1 switches it on & off.
Multiple 2 1/2" drives configerable to one of the following:
JBOD : Just a bunch of disks; an array of drives, each of which is accessed directly as an independent drive.
SPAN : A simple concatenation of multiple drives to make them appear as one drive at the interface.
RAID 0
RAID 1
RAID 5 (if more than two drives used)

A Black faceplate and QUIET

How about it James?