Bryston Drive Enclosure

skunark

Re: Bryston Drive Enclosure
« Reply #120 on: 25 Jan 2012, 09:27 pm »
I'm getting ready to toss this together:

Addonics 5 SATA to USB port multiplier: Addonices HPM-XU $99
Hifi2000 1U/2U slim line chassis with 20mm faceplate: ~$100 for the 1u 

Will probably use a cheap 1U power supply initially and then look for a low-noise or medical grade PSU later.   I'm still debating to use 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs, but that might be selected based on mounting options.    I also would like to try a USB-to-USB isolator, but all i've found so far don't support USB 2.0 high-speed, just full-speed.

Probably add another $100 for the low-noise PSU, and another $50 for HDD mounting brackets and SATA cables, it will be a $350 HDD enclosure.    Now only if i could get a matching face-plate with the BDP :) .

Jim

Marius

« Reply #121 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm »
they seem so familiar, one might believe Bryston uses these for our beloved amps: http://www.modu.it/pesante_diss_10mm.jpg

looking forward to your DE Skunark,

Marius

terrycym

« Reply #122 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm »
Nice looking case Jim.
I notice that they drill the tops and bottoms to your own design. I wonder if they'll do the front and back.
Front just needs an indicator.
The back needs your SATA to USB panel and a IEC mains socket with switch.
Might need to consider some kind of vibration mounting for the drives.
If Bryston don't come up with something, I might be joining you.

skunark

« Reply #123 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:19 am »
I already have the case, but still need to order the port multiplier, but I've been looking for other options as well, but I think this is worth a shot.

Hifi2000/modu has a pricey initial cost for modifications, so I will be trying Front Panel Express(FPE) on the rear plate.  For the Front Plate, I will use a drill press to for front mounted LEDs if necessary.  If I feel like I need some style, perhaps I will send it to FPE or have Hifi2000 machine one.

I'm not sure how I will mount the port multiplier, I would prefer to just remove the plate and have the esata, usb and dip switch holes cut in the rear plate. 

As for the power plug, there's already a hole cut for that, I didn't expect that but I've always planned to use a FPE to do that.   I will still need a hole for the on/off switch on the rear. 

ronman

« Reply #124 on: 28 Jan 2012, 02:23 pm »
I'll take two.       In black.         With the same matching blue led's!

Alpha10

« Reply #125 on: 12 Feb 2012, 01:20 pm »
Hi James,

Any updates on the possibility of the BDE-1 ?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #126 on: 12 Feb 2012, 01:56 pm »
Hi James,

Any updates on the possibility of the BDE-1 ?

Cheers

Hi,

We have looked at if many different ways and when you start adding manufactures and distributors and dealer markups plus the limited quantities you would build it just gets too expensive for what it is.  :scratch:

james

terrycym

« Reply #127 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:01 pm »
I suppose it will not happen then

Alpha10

« Reply #128 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:04 pm »
Hi,

We have looked at if many different ways and when you start adding manufactures and distributors and dealer markups plus the limited quantities you would build it just gets too expensive for what it is.  :scratch:

james

That is a massive shame  :cry:

Vipers

« Reply #129 on: 13 Feb 2012, 05:15 pm »
That is a massive shame  :cry:

I'd like to agree with Alpha on this one, although I do understand that it would be a very difficult product to make cost effective, particularly once it has made it over the pond to us in the UK, shame though, I could do with another Bryston box :)

SHV

« Reply #130 on: 13 Feb 2012, 06:09 pm »
With James' announcement that there will be no BDE, I ordered one of theses:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Rack_Mount/

If it has too much fan noise, I will use it elsewhere.

Steve

Alpha10

« Reply #131 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:10 pm »
I'd like to agree with Alpha on this one, although I do understand that it would be a very difficult product to make cost effective, particularly once it has made it over the pond to us in the UK, shame though, I could do with another Bryston box :)

I will have to think what to do now, I must admit I am more than a little pissed that the BDE is dead, I don't really see why it is that difficult/expensive, unless you try and make it more complicated than it needs to be..

Cheers

Alpha10

« Reply #132 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:10 pm »
With James' announcement that there will be no BDE, I ordered one of theses:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Rack_Mount/

If it has too much fan noise, I will use it elsewhere.

Steve

Hi Steve, let us know how you get on  :thumb:

Cheers

terrycym

« Reply #133 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:12 pm »
Hi Steve, let us know how you get on  :thumb:

Cheers

Me too Steve although we could do with a UK/Europe solution for the guys over here

SHV

« Reply #134 on: 13 Feb 2012, 09:27 pm »
Me too Steve although we could do with a UK/Europe solution for the guys over here

Well if it turns out to be a good "fit" with the BDP-1, OWC does ship world-wide.   I guess with a 220v 50 >120 60 power adapter, it might work in the Euro Zone.

Steve

srb

« Reply #135 on: 13 Feb 2012, 10:15 pm »

Well if it turns out to be a good "fit" with the BDP-1, OWC does ship world-wide.  I guess with a 220v 50 >120 60 power adapter, it might work in the Euro Zone.

The power supply has a switch for 115V/230V operation.  I would assume it is also 50Hz compatible, as 230V/50Hz is the Euro standard.

Steve

SHV

« Reply #136 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm »

The power supply has a switch for 115V/230V operation.  I would assume it is also 50Hz compatible, as 230V/50Hz is the Euro standard.

Steve

I must have missed that in the specs.  Well,  the OWC is a "painless" option for the Euro Zone folks if it turns out to be a good match for the BDP-1.  It should be delivered by the end of the week;  I'll load it up and see how it works and looks.

Steve

srb

« Reply #137 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:33 pm »
  I would assume it is also 50Hz compatible, as 230V/50Hz is the Euro standard.

Yes, 50Hz compatible verified by OWC.

Steve

skunark

« Reply #138 on: 14 Feb 2012, 04:28 am »
It looks like it has three 40mm fans, guessing it will be loud

terrycym

« Reply #139 on: 14 Feb 2012, 04:04 pm »
Drobo are doing a deal today for their enclosures today for 180 Euro (The Drobo).

http://drhadmin.digitalriver.com/store/droboeu/en_GB/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.54837600

I saw one at a show and it was quiet.