Creek, Cambridge, Audiolab, Acurus

audioligist

Creek, Cambridge, Audiolab, Acurus
« on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:36 pm »
Been a while since i posted but learned a lot then and am hoping to now.

going to audition (because the prices are really really right) Audiolab 8000A, Cambridge 550A(never been more than "decent" to me), an Acurus described as 150w/ch integrated, Creek A50i, and a Creek evolution.

My question is (to those who know) what should i pay attention to as far as the little thing that make the big differences. Not familiar with anything but the cambridge.

i'm hoping to audition on spendor( i know the s series stuff but will prob be on a series) but may end up being on dyn's (new focus).

my main system is moonp3/w3/cd-1 and pmc ob-1's

thx in advance

*Scotty*

Re: Creek, Cambridge, Audiolab, Acurus
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm »
Take detailed notes and try to compare two amplifiers at the same time rather than rely on your memory of how an amp sounds. Hopefully one of the amps will sound better than another.
Scotty

audioligist

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2011, 01:41 am »
thx for the reply,

i'm hoping one sounds better as well, but i think the two creek models s/b quite similar, the audiolab maybe a little "thin" not sure that is the right word i just do not want to say lean at this point and i'm not sure it is in the same "apples to apples" as the others, and i have no idea about the acurus.

that is my preconceived notion and i do not want to be bias, i want to be informed... know what i mean?

time will tell, and thx again

(i like... auditions)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2011, 12:10 am »
Use familiar music and if at all possible familiar speakers (similar/same as your own). 

Try to make it a blind test. 

Make sure spls are matched between amps (loudest always sounds better). 

Take your time. 

Have fun.   :thumb:

audioligist

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2011, 02:18 am »
yes taking my auditioning cd's for sure, no pmc where i am going but i've high regard for spendor and dyn and have auditioned them often (always better deals than them in the past and that is why i do not own either). 

what is it with volume? works every time... hahaha

do you suppose the imaging or soundstage will be so similar between a couple of these amps that i could use a head's up? or even more critical that forward/laidback maybe conceived as a lack of the lower register or bright? or bright maybe consider open... you know the "let's pin the 2k" for an outside concert in order to improve clarity but kill the ear drum.

terminology is always so tuff... i'm not exactly sure all who read this will know what i am trying to say. (sorry)

audioligist

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2011, 12:50 am »
creek a50i... hands down for me

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2011, 03:23 pm »
Fair enough, but why?  In other words, details man, details.

Wally King

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2011, 04:33 pm »
I'd stay away from Cambridge.  I've been trying to get my 840c CD player repaired for nearly 6 months, and it's still off somewhere waiting for a part (the original part that was supposed to solve the problem was defective).  It was an excellent CD player when it worked, but I've heard from a former dealer that the Cambridge products in general have reliability problems, which has certainly been confirmed in my experience.

audioligist

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2011, 04:51 pm »
Letitroll89

baited statement... i was tired, here are the details

the two creek pieces were significantly different w the evo. piece being "warmer" and played with less resolve than the a50, the accurus was just not appealing and never really listened to it to give critic... not my style, kinda like you know things right away.
the cambridge stayed on the shelf because i started with the creeks and listened to enough cambridge that i did not need to audition it (cambridge 550 is not in the same apples to apples as creek)

played through dynaudio 260's, spendor a9's, jm 716's, role (cannot remember the model... older than what is on their website today) and some castle knight 1 bookshelfs.

so it was the two creek models, the only time the evolution piece was a consideration was playing through the focal (it did a nice job w the role's as well, man can those things image), there wasn't a solid state trying to be tube thing going on and it actually played "articulate" and warm and was a consideration at that time, (i think the evo piece is much more fussy w speakers than the a5o) thru the cheap castles and the expensive dyn and spendor.  the resolve that the a50 showed was much more to my liking, not as powerful mind you, but i think more precise and maybe played more technical if i can use that description.  the a 50 showed no real distinction in speaker preference and played well with every speaker.

listed to jennifer warnes, eagles, yellow, some of those cd's of weird things going on, billie holiday...

it was fun, had the money been the same i would have checked out exposure but the creeks were priced much more to my liking so i did not tempt myself... that is another trip.

i have to apologize, i've never really caught on to the audiophile "lingo"... seems like every person has a different meaning for the same words anyway so even tho i used the would warm... i just do not know what else to say...  :lol:

if you have a question i will try to answer it, i sepent about 3 hrs with the creeks, 5 minutes with the others.

audioligist

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2011, 04:54 pm »
I'd stay away from Cambridge.  I've been trying to get my 840c CD player repaired for nearly 6 months, and it's still off somewhere waiting for a part (the original part that was supposed to solve the problem was defective).  It was an excellent CD player when it worked, but I've heard from a former dealer that the Cambridge products in general have reliability problems, which has certainly been confirmed in my experience.

yea, i've got a dvd 89, bought for it's audio reproduction for watching concert dvd's and it now seems to be very picky about reading discs and taking forever to mount.

i believe your words of caution to be fair
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2011, 06:00 pm by audioligist »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:22 pm »
I briefly owned the Cambridge Audio 840 int amp. It did not suit me and that clicking with volume change bugged me.
After reading what you liked about the Creek amp it made me think of the original Audio Refinement Alpha integrated amp. Very smooth sounding amp with what seemed like high quality build. It was one of those pieces I sold with regret.

audioligist

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2011, 02:44 am »
funny you should say that, bought a used audio refinement complete (not alpha) integrated and gave it for a Christmas present, best money i ever spent on an amp.  if i ever find another (used) i will unlikely pass it by.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2011, 02:45 am »
Looks like the Creek A50i has been discontined.  The 2nd generation replacement is the  Evo 2.  I like what I read about the Evo 2 (more power, beefer power supply, digital volume control, fewer circuits, HT bypass, less power consumption).  The Evo 2 is only $100 more and of course is supposed to sound better.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:17 am »
I think he's listening to all discontinued products, except the Cambridge, and noting the OP said "because the prices are really really right" he's buying at a discount.  Kinda off topic, but with this economy I would suppose many brick and mortar dealers have a number of discontinued items unsold on their shelves.  Maybe I'm wrong wrong on one or both counts, just assuming here.   

audioligist

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:49 am »
hey letitroll98

right o... discontinued, used, obsolete... etc

pretty much how i can be in this racket... my main system was all discontinued when i bought it as well.

at the end of the day for me, the almighty $ rules the roost... so i''m always 5+ yrs behind... :( ... but at least i can be in the game...  :D

i own the creek a50i now... it is connect to the ob1's as we chat.

this amp will be mated w an arcam alpha 7 cd player and now i have to buy speakers.  another adventure for sure... recommendations?

thx everyone!

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2011, 01:25 pm by audioligist »

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2011, 11:23 am »
No worries audioligist.

As I look at my system, the CD transport was slightly damaged B-stock, the monoblocks are used, the pre-amp is factory demo, and the DEQ/DAC is used/moddified.  The rack is $30 Ikea and the cabling is very inexpensive.  Only the speakers (my babies) are new (custom commissioned actually) and then moddified.

Thank God for the internet.

audioligist

« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2011, 01:28 pm »
letitroll,   :duh:   the "hey" at the beginning of the post may read like an attention getter, but i actually salute people with hey instead of hello... so at the end of the day i mean "hi" and you are correct.  :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2011, 05:50 pm »
funny you should say that, bought a used audio refinement complete (not alpha) integrated and gave it for a Christmas present, best money i ever spent on an amp.  if i ever find another (used) i will unlikely pass it by.
Oops, I meant Audio Refinement Complete. Mine was not the Alpha version either.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2011, 06:41 pm »
right o... discontinued, used, obsolete... etc

pretty much how i can be in this racket... my main system was all discontinued when i bought it as well.

The only way to go.  Almost everything in both systems at my house was either on sale, discontinued, or used.  Glad you're enjoying your new amp. 

audioligist

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm »
and at the end of the day we can dream...

i actually really enjoy being frugal and actually obtaining things i really cannot afford if it weren't for such conditions as used, discontinued, been on the shelf for 5 yrs and never sold.

i've met some very interesting and knowledgeable people and have managed to learn a lot of different views and interpretations because i cannot go and drop "X " amount of money... it makes it a hobby and not just a past time.

it also makes you realize there is a lot of people who know what they are talking about and a lot who do not... i can appreciate both because i certainly know that the more i audition and shop and ask and post on forums... more people have forgotten more than i'll never know... and i i like it.

so, speakers for my creek... i think i want bookshelves and like the usher s-520's (would like something more efficient) but need to really audition them

price is critical... must be sub a 1000

help?  :scratch: