Creek, Cambridge, Audiolab, Acurus

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Creek, Cambridge, Audiolab, Acurus
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:53 am »
Now that you have an amp, I recommend you start a thread in either the Starting Block or Enclosures circles for speaker advice. You'll get a whole new set of eyes looking at your question.
But...since you asked I'll give you my 2 cents.
My favorite monitor speakers are the Soliloquy 5.0s. These speakers make music just the way I like, warm and inviting, really just fun to listen to.
The company has long since gone out of business which is good and bad. The good is their speakers sell extremely cheap. The bad, no parts available short of having a spare speaker on hand.
I recently purchased a pair of Dynaudio 1.3 SE speakers which on paper should have killed the Soliloquys. didn't happen and I sold the Dyns.
In the budget class my next favorite speaker is Polk Audio's LSi7. Although they would just be sitting in a closet, I still regret selling them. They were also fun to listen to.
FWIW, I owned a pair of Usher S520s briefly. They did not thrill me at all, except for the finish. Guess what color mine were.

audioligist

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2011, 01:31 am »
yellow?  (and i like that information re)

i'm just a little leerie to post in the speaker section, i'll get the:

how much do you want to spent?
what is the size of the room?
only you can decide...

really all i want is conversation from those who have been at it longer than me (kind of a mentoring) and good ole chew the fat.

i really like the social aspect of this hobby as well as the technical. so when i ask, pretend you are yoda and i'm (not mark hamil)  :icon_lol:

this is fun!!!!!

there is axiom, paradigm, psb (not a lover of), totem etc
there is usher, vsa vr1's being blown out, and other american speaker mfg. etc  (would really like to know about "budget minded american entry level speakers") i like to support
the british mfg (proac, epos, wharfedale, tannoy, spendor) etc, etc.

i like the focal 716's w this amp

what would be a good subject to get people motivated in the speaker circle?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:07 am »

only you can decide...

That's important to know if people are going to give their best recommendation.
Personally, I only speak about pieces I have owned, (way too many) and it is strictly my opinion.
Here's my take on it as you are looking to get in to this without breaking the bank. Keep an eye on a few speakers you are interested in by watching ebay auctions and looking through the Audiogon classifieds. Take note of asking/selling prices so when a good deal on a speaker you'd like to try pops up you can pounce. And when I say pounce I mean buy quickly as good deals go fast. Buy from reputable sellers so you don't get burned.
Try the speakers out and if you like them you're good. If they don't suit you then resell them and you shouldn't lose much more than the shipping cost. Listening to components in your own system is the best way to evaluate them. I have been surprised at how much I have disliked some products that get fantastic reviews. But then again, how many bad reviews ar there? It really makes me wonder what professional reviewers are hearing.
Good luck searching. It can be a lot of fun.  :thumb:

audioligist

« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:19 am »
good advice.

my other problem is i really like the one shop i go to... he's a great guy and know's his (you know).  and this isn't a problem in the true sense of the word.

but i really try to buy N. American gear... it is tuff to do so, so i justify it buy saying "at least the shop is local"

it would be great to find a nothing but N. American  made shop.

i need to know more about N. American speaker mfg. this is my post

thx for talking me thru it. (check it out)

Cheers!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #24 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:33 am »
Interesting. I currently have five pairs of speakers in the house. Two pair of Meadowlark Audio speakers, made in USA but out of business, a pair of Solioquy speakers, USA made and also out of business, an older pair of PSB, when they were still made in Canada and a set of Anthony Gallo speakers, not sure where they were built.
AudioCircle is a great place if you prefer N. American made speakers as there are quite a few manufacturers who support this site.
If I have one absolute for speakers it is no metal dome tweeters. Have only owned one speaker with a metal tweeter that didn't irritate my ears and that was the Revel M20.

jackman

« Reply #25 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:59 am »
Interesting. I currently have five pairs of speakers in the house. Two pair of Meadowlark Audio speakers, made in USA but out of business, a pair of Solioquy speakers, USA made and also out of business, an older pair of PSB, when they were still made in Canada and a set of Anthony Gallo speakers, not sure where they were built.
AudioCircle is a great place if you prefer N. American made speakers as there are quite a few manufacturers who support this site.
If I have one absolute for speakers it is no metal dome tweeters. Have only owned one speaker with a metal tweeter that didn't irritate my ears and that was the Revel M20.

I heard the M20's not too long ago and thought they sounded very good.  Theil is another US mfg. 

audioligist

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm »
i have never auditioned revel's... must try them

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 19 Aug 2011, 12:26 am »
i have never auditioned revel's... must try them

You don't see them around very often and don't hear much about them on audiophile boards.  They were nice speakers and I don't remember the setup (amp, etc.) but I recall the M20's having a tweeter level control.  They looked to be solid and sounded good (if memory serves me right).  Revel uses metal tweeters and woofers but I don't recall the speaker sounding harsh in any way.  Like anything else, test before you buy because they might not be your cup of tea. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #28 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:32 am »
The Revels have a tweeter control as well as a bass output control. I used mine in the flat position and never felt the need to fiddle with it.

Surprised I still have this pic. The only negative I found with these speakers was their looks, kind of a big box. But now they look pretty darn good.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:44 am »
In the budget class my next favorite speaker is Polk Audio's LSi7. Although they would just be sitting in a closet, I still regret selling them. They were also fun to listen to.

Just an FWI, the Polk LSi9, same as the 7 with an extra 5.25" woofer, is going for $596 on Amazon now.  Inexplicably, the LSI7 is going for $615.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Cherry/dp/B0009WWUIO

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:54 am »
At this point you really need to get out there and audition.  Lots of good ideas here, but you just can't buy speakers (like you can, sort of, with sources/amplification) based on recommendations alone.

Take familiar material, take notes, take your time, try using similar equipment (bring your own if they allow), and limit yourself to 3 or 4 per setting/day.

audioligist

« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:17 am »
do you ever get tired of auditioning... and then there are those days that you really cannot hear for what ever reason... altitude, allergy, lack of sleep?

am i the only one?

could very well be just me...  :lol:

i ask all these questions because essentially i was taught and am now serving an apprenticeship in this audio racket.

and it is those on this circle that can mentor those of us who want to learn more... even if it is a social thing.

i just like opinions... but you're right i may be come a nuisance.
i think in a week or so i'm going to put the creek on totem, paradigm and psb if the guy ever gets back to me.

then i'm hoping to do neat, epos and spendor (again) at another place... waiting for him to get some neats in.

and between those two i'm going to try to work in some VSA vr1's, audio physics and revels (this guy also carries PSB)

then i'll have to let you know (will take about a month and a half)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2011, 06:35 pm »
do you ever get tired of auditioning... and then there are those days that you really cannot hear for what ever reason... altitude, allergy, lack of sleep?

am i the only one?

could very well be just me...  :lol:

I agree completely, our hearing is influenced by so many factors that an in store demo is not always going to tell you what you need to know.
Less than a year ago I was considering a pair of Magnepan 12QR speakers. Went to the local store that sold them for an audition. I did like what I heard in the store but wasn't completely sold. They had a pair that had just been traded in and they let me take them home to demo. My intent was to get a new pair if they worked for me. I tried for a full week but unfortunately, I could not get them to sound right in my room. Very glad I had that opportunity and wasn't stuck with a speaker that wasn't for me.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #33 on: 21 Aug 2011, 10:56 am »
Yes Virginia there is such a thing as listener fatigue.  The brain can't juggle more than 3 or 4 things at a time, so limit yourself when auditioning.

Sampling more is OK to get a quick impression (possible candidate or not).  That's what I do at audiofests (besides it will sound different in your room with your gear).

And sure, head colds, mood, etc. can all influence what we perceive.

audioligist

« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm »
funny thing the human head

i was at a shop just the other day sat down for listen to some bookshelves and about 2 minutes in i think the air freshener or potpourri got my sinuses messed up a little because things when off and it was noticeable,  but i made an impression in the first minute or so...  :scratch:

maybe they had a shop cat... (nothing against cats, i'm allergic)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm »

only you can decide...

really all i want is conversation from those who have been at it longer than me (kind of a mentoring) and good ole chew the fat.

i really like the social aspect of this hobby as well as the technical. so when i ask, pretend you are yoda and i'm (not mark hamil)  :icon_lol:

this is fun!!!!!

what would be a good subject to get people motivated in the speaker circle?

Yes, I have to admit we do like to solve problems, but I think your thread has gone pretty well over there.  They're on a DIY rant presently, but that's only because they ran out of suggestions.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97562.40

audioligist

« Reply #36 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:06 am »
and i love it.

i really like just chewing the fat and at the end of the day i can learn more in here in ten posts than i can listening to some sales guy for hours ( although there are i couple who know there stuff)

i really like this forum!  :D

Cheeseboy

« Reply #37 on: 2 Sep 2011, 06:23 pm »
When it comes to CD and Vinyl I like this one.

80 watts Class A design.  Built like a truck.  Has Phono built in and it's balanced

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Jungson-JA88D-09-Integrated-Amplifier-w-Phono.html

The Jungson JA88D/09 has been very well reveiwed as well. 

audioligist

« Reply #38 on: 26 Sep 2011, 11:35 pm »
speaking of vinyl... this is an area i would like to get into.

i have no vinyl, turntable or phono pre tho.

going start a thread re this same thing...after i read a few of course