Anyone thinking about getting out of vinyl?

jackman

« on: 14 Apr 2004, 10:22 pm »
Although nothing quite sounds like the sweet sound of vinyl, I've finally decided to sell my vinyl rig and all of my records (link to my ad if anyone is interested http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=9706&highlight=).  This was a difficult decision because I have never heard a CD that sounds nearly as good as its vinyl equivalent.   It's just too hard and too much of a hassle to find records in good condition for decent prices.  Plus, I rarely find myself using the turntable (less than one day every month or so).  

Am I making a mistake?  Are there any good outlets for records that I haven't found?  I don't want to pay $30 for a single record.  I have more than 500 CD's and can't afford to replace my collection.  It would be helpful to get some feeback from the group before I do something I will regret later.

Thanks!

Jack

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2004, 10:35 pm »
You know, as good as LPs sound, and I do think they sound preferrably on most albums, if I had it to do all over again, not sure I would have made the venture.    I spent a lot of money on my vinyl rig that I could have put elsewhere into my system, and I didn't have THAT many records to start with (150 or so).  But alas, I am where I am and I love my vinyl rig.  If you really don't spin your vinyl but once a month then I think you are making the right decision.  

So sell me your vinyl!!  :lol:

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2004, 10:47 pm »
Absolutely not, but I have 1000 LP's, so I'm in.  Besides, though, LP's sound the best to my ear.  I always have to laugh when audiophiles don't have space/room for vinyl or don't want to deal with the hassle, which is overrated by the way.  Yet they have 6 foot tall speakers, speakers pulled 3 feet out in the room, garden hose speaker cables, and room treatments.  In my mind, if you are going to be an audiophile, then you may as well go all the way down the rabbit hole.  We are searching for the best reproduction and I still think that vinyl does rule.

Michael

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2004, 10:49 pm »
Jack,

Where do you live?  That has a huge bearing on finding LP's.

Michael

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2004, 11:29 pm »
Hi guys,

I live in the Chicago area.  I agree with all of your comments.  Vinyl does sound better to me than CD's but I just don't find myself using my turntable much.  I only have about 75 records, maybe 100.   I may keep some of the older ones that I have owned for years because I may get a turntable some day, years from now.   Even though it sounds better, I am really lazy (don't like having to turn record over or manually skip songs I don't like) and haven't had much luck finding good deals on records in good condition.  I refuse to pay $30 for a single record!  

Thanks for the feedback.  It's going on Audiogon.

Jack

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2004, 11:44 pm »
I decided to try to do vinyl as right as I can for $500 or so.  I ended up spending almost a thousand, though.  If I hadn't just bought the Pro-Ject, you'd have a sale.  

I think vinyl is its own hobby within hifi.  Either you like it or you don't.  I love it.  Even if I only get to use it every once in a while.  Even if I leave the preamp on and use up my little batteries... that'll change soon....

Anyway, it's all about ROI (return on investment).  If you don't feel like you're getting as much enjoyment out of it compared to what effort/money you put into it, there's a problem.  However, the methods may be the culprit.  If you clean your records really good one time, put them into nice sleeves, and only keep the ones you really like.... and then just do a light brushing with a carbon brush when you play the record, it's just not that much of a daily hassle.

Also, if your system is always setup properly and ready to go, there is no 'real' hassle.  I have to move gear around, unplug things and plug new ones in, and let it warm up just to listen to my equipment.  I have styrofoam peanuts, cords, and all sorts of crap all over my room these days.  It's been demo-mania!  

So, hassles are relative.  I think vinyl if done the way I described above, and for under a thousand (for EVERYthing), is well worth it.  If you want to go over that, you're 'into' vinyl to a higher degree... and are enjoying that hobby on its own.  If you have a small collection of records, sell the ones you don't like and buy more.  Keep your collection small.  Stop aiming for ultimate perfection also.  I have some records that were $1 that sound great.

If you have a good phono pre, cables, good cart., etc... I think it's nuts to sell it all unless you really need the money.  

-Carl

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2004, 11:45 pm »
If you are lazy, then I agree vinyl is not for you.  I'm surprised that Chicago doesn't have any good vinyl haunts, especially used LP shops.  When I used to live there, there seemed to be some decent places along Clark St. in the Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville area, but that was 1994-1995 and I'm sure things have changed.

Michael

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2004, 11:59 pm »
Thanks for all of the feedback.  This was a difficult decision but one that I've been thinking about for a while.  Believe it or not, my wife has consistantly tried to talk me out of it because she has lots of records that she still listens to.  Don't get me wrong, most of her listening is to CD's (90%) but she still has lots of records and enjoys vinyl.  The only positive aspect of this situation is the lack of use has enabled me to sell my TT in perfect shape.  If it doesn't sell quickly on Audiogon, I may just keep it and look for more used records.  

Cheers!

J

Mathew_M

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2004, 12:01 am »
I think it's cool to have a vinyl system around just in case you get the urge to spin some.  I agree that unless money is tight I'd hold onto that table.  The high rez formats were supposed to replace vinyl but so far haven't.  In fact as many of you know vinyl out sold all of the high rez formats last year and will probably continue to.  One thing I know is that I miss having vinyl spinning in my current setup.  I don't listen to nearly as much music as I did just six months ago.  Of course I'm also much more busy than I was as well.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2004, 12:04 am »
Am I making a mistake?

Hey Jman,

Only you know how much you'll miss it, if at all.

I have a vinyl rig, and around 400 records from the halcyon days.

I probably won't go too much deeper, since it is just a "segment" of the hobby.  And I probably won't be running out and buying more :nono:

I also have a 150 disc Laserdisc collection for the same reason and 3 lazer disc players so I have a couple back ups.

Records and LDs are (to me) in the same category.  A nostalgic means to enjoy some of the "old stuff", in a way that the new technology won't.

Kenny Rogers sang "you gotta know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em". (or sum such)

I'm still holden :mrgreen:

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2004, 12:32 am »
Yo, Jackman! You once PM'ed me some good advice on a CD player, so here's the favor returned:

Keep the turntable! Do not sell it or your records!!!!!

People like us need to keep the torch burning. There's more vinyl out there than you think and they're not all 30 bucks. There's stuff on vinyl that is not on CD or is a million bucks on CD, like Idle Race and Deaf School. I've had good used experience with web vinyl and recently bought a couple of Graham Parker and Matthew Sweet LP's for under 10 bucks on eBay unopened. Parasol.com has some indie records for sale often for 15 bucks or less. Redtrumpet, collectorschoicemusic, etc.

HG Wells once had a comment about seeing someone on a bicycle giving him hope for the future of humanity. I feel the same way when I sit down and watch the gentle undulations of my tonearm faithfully tracking the grooves of my vintage records!

I do accept record donations. They will be well-cared for at my house (although I do think you can pick them up at the roadside on the first garbage day after my untimely death).

biz

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2004, 12:39 am »
Jack,

I agree, do not sell the player unless you truely need the $$$

There is a store in Fort Wayne where the average price per LP is around $5.

The most I have ever paid for a double album was around $20.

If you ever get down this way, I'll take you there myself.

They have thousands of LP's.

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2004, 01:16 am »
Wow!  Great responses.  I really don't need the money (I guess we could all use some additional cash), but rarely use the turntable.  When I do, I really like it and I have put off selling it for some time.  

Thanks for all of the great comments.  This is my favorite site by a longshot and comments like the ones I received are the primary reason.  I will hold off on audiogon for a while as I contemplate my decision.  Maybe it's my Catholic upbringing that causes me to feel guilty for having something so cool (and expensive) go unused or at least underused.  

Marbles, thanks for the offer.  Hopefully, I'll find a way to get to Ft. Wayne so I can check out your site.  I'll also look at some stores in Chi-town this weekend.  

Thanks again!

Jack

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2004, 01:35 am »
Jackman,

I went through the same thing as you and did sell my beloved Linn LP12 (it was the longest I had owned one single component).

What I didn't do was sell my records, Nitty Gritty cleaner, etc...

I figure I will get back into it at some point, maybe you will as well?

George

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2004, 01:43 am »
What I didn't do was sell my records, Nitty Gritty cleaner, etc...

Smart move, George.  Who knows- you may run into a huge/cheap LP haul that will force you back in.

Michael

WEEZ

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2004, 02:09 am »
Just to chime in here, for what it's worth..

I'm an old fart who can remember when the only music available was on vinyl or open-reel tape. When I was young- there was no way that I could afford a good open-reel machine- but I COULD afford a record player.

First one was a cheap Garrard; then an AR; then a Thorens; then a Rega; then back to a Thorens; and finally a VPI. My favorites were the AR and my current VPI. I collected many LP's over the years- and still collect new and used LP's to this day. There is just something about the sound of vinyl that satisfies. Sure, there are the pops and ticks on older records; there is surface noise and warps to contend with; and the arm balancing, record cleaning, cartridge tweaking, etc.,etc. But even when compared to really good CD discs, the vinyl pressings sound more natural to me.

I, for one, would never part with my turntable (unless, of course, I could afford an even better turntable- but there are so many upgrades available for my VPI that I will continue to pursue over time..) but I am anxious to find a good CD recorder to dub my cassette tapes that were popular before CD's hit the mainstream; and to archive some of my prized LP's. ( Any suggestions are welcome :!:  )

It seems like the vinyl vs. CD debate will continue just as the tube vs. solid-state debate continues.

I will continue to collect music on any or all formats because it's the music that really matters. In my humble opinion, anyone who really enjoys this hobby- will find that vinyl is a satisfying medium for music collectors, if for no other reason, that some of the good stuff from the past is only available on vinyl.

And besides, if you own a turntable; sell it; and later decide to get back in to vinyl; it will probably cost a lot more to replace that turntable in the future. Might be wise to keep it.

My 2 cents..

WEEZ

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2004, 07:16 am »
Well Jack, if you do sell your TT , I could always loan you one of my 8 Track players. Even got a few boxes filled with 8 Tracks . They might make a comeback !! 8)

hifitommy

KEEP IT!
« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2004, 04:48 pm »
it seems that in chi town you should be able to find a good source of used vinyl.  new vinyl doesnt have to cost $30 each either.  tower and virgin have it for less and more.  

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/record_stores/record_stores.html  should enable you to find PLENTY!  

also, get a good record cleaning regimen going. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/296270.html has a pic of the brush i use for sink cleaning.  search the archives at AA for record cleaning.  a clean record is a good sounding record.

if you MUST sell the tt (dont!), then put the records in cardboard boxes specifically for LPs and store them properly.  if you get rid of them, youll eventually be sorry.  

another place to buy vinyl for cheeeeep and new is circuitcity.com and bestbuy.com.  just look for the box to click that says 'other formats available'.  i got my white stripes 'elephant' 2 disc vinyl set there on red and white vinyl for about $13--delivered, no shipping charges.  

you say your tt is expensive.  think about how good the sound is while playing it.  cd cant really compare overall.  its more relaxing and satisfying to listen to vinyl and used vinyl is so cheeeeeep its laughable.

orthobiz

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2004, 12:46 am »
So, Jackman,
What'd'ya do?
Hold or Sell?

biz

Scott F.

Re: Anyone thinking about getting out of vinyl?
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:13 am »
Hi Jackman,

Quote from: jackman
......It's just too hard and too much of a hassle to find records in good condition for decent prices....

Not anymore. Heres the links to a couple of shops that I can personally vouch for (did I just end a sentence with a preposition?).  Both of these shops are in my home town of St Louis and I buy from them regularly.

Euclid Records
http://www.euclidrecords.com
Euclids record grading system is similar to Goldmine. They grade the vinyl and the cover. Joe Schwab is very fair on his grading. There has been many, many times that I've never looked at the vinyl before I left the shop, I trust his vinyl grading that much. Joe even has a bi-weekly email update for the new vinyl he brings in. He ships all over the world.

Vintage Vinyl
http://www.vintagevinyl.com
These guys are slightly less than Euclid but they do sell quality stuff too.

Don't sell your vinyl........you'll regret it.