Anyone thinking about getting out of vinyl?

jackman

« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2004, 10:18 pm »
Just a quick update.  I sold the turntable.  The guy is coming over this weekend with the cash.  I've decided to sell everything I'm not using...'69 VW Beetle Convertible, guitars, records (will post titles on this site later), etc.  Need to simplify my life...and get upgrades for my BMW.  Thinking about getting upgraded suspension and cool M'style wheels.  I blew an auction on ebay but am in the market for some M-series split spoke 17's.   May also get Eibach springs, Koni shocks and other goodies.  This probably belongs in another thread.  

Thanks for all of the advice, I'm sure some budding enthusiast will put it to good use.

Jack

Carlman

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2004, 11:51 pm »
Sounds more like a seasonal change rather than a simplification.  It's not simple to swap out your suspension tires and wheels.  ;)  Out with the winter hobby, in with the summer hobby...

Best of luck simplifying... hope you do well at the track!  :lol:

-Carl

WEEZ

« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2004, 02:11 am »
Sold it- hmmmm-

Maybe we can talk you into keeping the LP's (although if you post a list......)

Cars are cool but they rust. LP's wear but don't wear out.

Someday you may want a Teres, who knows.

I'm sad for you  :cry:

Your buyer got a nice table.

WEEZ

mojoman

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:12 pm »
Hey J-man, you selling your Heritage?  I can't afford it but I'd love to have that guitar.

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:20 pm »
Yes, the Heritage is going on the block.  I hate to sell it because I LOVE that guitar.  It's a one of a kind model with matching binding around the pickups body and neck, has Duncan Seth Lover PU's, a bone nut and plays beautifully.  It's a very special guitar and one of the best players I have ever put my hands on.  It's got to go along with my '69 re-issue Stratocaster (three color sunburst, maple neck, VERY lightweight) and made in Japan (the best Fenders in recent years were MIJ).  The Strat is a beauty.  I had it set up by Mike from the Riptones (rock-a-billy band and amazing guitarist and tech).  He also replaced the pick-guard with an older one that looks like a '69 and aged looking knobs and pickup covers.  The neck on the Strat is very thin and easy to play.  Unfortunately, it spends all of its time in the case.  Will only keep my Danelectro DC59 (original run of reissues) and Martin D18VR.  The Martin may also go!

Jack

twl

« Reply #25 on: 8 May 2004, 03:14 pm »
I sold my TT and all my vinyl once.  It was the biggest mistake I ever made. I have since bought a new TT(Teres 245) and an entire new system to go with it, and replaced as much of my old vinyl stuff as I could find. I am now well over 1000 albums, and still buying. I sold all my stuff in 1991 because I didn't want to keep moving it around, as I was quite transient around that time period. After I got settled, I tried to get back into audio with CD and SACD a few years ago. It didn't do it for me. I really tried to make it work out, but I couldn't handle it. I needed what the vinyl sounded like. So, about 2 years ago, I sold all the digital stuff, bought the TT and the vinyl, and now I'm happier than a "pig in the mud" with an analog-only audio system. I'll listen to those big black discs until the day I die. Digital is a very pale imitation, compared to vinyl.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #26 on: 8 May 2004, 04:40 pm »
J'man, There are some great VINYL stores in the city(Chicago). If you want some names just PM me. If you are into jazz the Jazz Record Mart is the best for both new and used vinyl. I'm in for the long haul when it comes to vinyl(1600 albums and growing). I just had my EAR 834P phono stage modified. IMHO, when investing in vinyl you need three things. One, a good eye when buying used records(30 years for me) and two, a great record cleaning system and three, a perfectly set-up turntable(just had my Nottingham tweaked by a "vinyl guru" here in Chicago). My analog set-up has never sounded soooo good.

Enjoy the weekend,

G

Marbles

« Reply #27 on: 8 May 2004, 04:57 pm »
4. a great phono pre....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 8 May 2004, 08:05 pm »
5.  Patience, patience, and patience.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 8 May 2004, 11:40 pm »
and get upgrades for my BMW. Thinking about getting upgraded suspension and cool M'style wheels. I blew an auction on ebay but am in the market for some M-series split spoke 17's. May also get Eibach springs, Koni shocks and other goodies. This probably belongs in another thread.

Yes, I have thought about getting out of vinyl on a personal level but what would I do with the over 3,000 albums I still have left (gave away over 3,000 in the past 6 months). I do enjoy vinyl but don't have the time.

I have even got rid of all my cars. The last toy to go was my fully "modified" (it's in my blood) 64' Chevy II/Nova that I spent the last 3 years building from the ground up. Had it done for 2 years, sunk thousands of dollars into it yet didn't have to time to put but 30 miles on it in 2 years. SAD!!!
  I won't even go into the list of work I did on this car as it would take up far too much room. The Nova was the last of my 24 custom built cars since the age of 14 (only 20 years ago).

My family and business get all of my time now and I don't regret letting the cars go. Turntables are much easier to get replaced although not always cheaper.

mmakshak

vinyl
« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2005, 03:00 pm »
Are you sure that digital does what vinyl does?  I seems to not relax me.  I can admire its sound quality, but only intellectually.  Also, the music doesn't play through my head like vinyl does(when I'm elsewhere).  It doesn't cause me to run home to listen to it.  By vinyl, I mean stay away from most commercial albums made after 1983(and some 1982's)-they usually have some digital in them.

Carlman

« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2005, 03:04 pm »
Just out of curiousity, why are you replying to all these 1+ year old posts?

Tone Deaf

« Reply #32 on: 1 Nov 2005, 04:49 pm »
Maybe he's doing it so occasional users can read the stuff they missed a year ago!  

Redundant though this comment might be - CDs aren't records are they?  

Regardless of how they sound, could anyone get personally involved with a CD?   Those horrid flimsy cases with broken hinges (always) & covers you need a magnifying glass to read... nasty!  

Records age along with their owners!  Some of mine have got fag burns on from the days when I took them to school discos in the 80's.  I like that history.

Actually I admit it, I've just put a CD player back in my system having lived without one for a few years.  It's nice to listen to stuff that's been off the playlist for a while.  They're not records though.

TD

WEEZ

« Reply #33 on: 1 Nov 2005, 11:46 pm »
Tone Deaf,

I couldn't agree more.

Early in this thread I tried to talk Jackman out of selling his vinyl and 'table but he did it anyway. (others tried too..)

On another thread here- Captain Humble is thinking about doing the same thing.

What gives?  :o

WEEZ!

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #34 on: 1 Nov 2005, 11:58 pm »
I love the sound of vinyl but haven't listened to it at home for a few years because my TT needs work.  I've been enjoying my friend's mid-fi vinyl setup just to get that natural, "alive" sound of records.

But now that I have an Ack! dAck! 2.0 DAC and a tube amp, I get such a natural sound that my CDs are completely enjoyable, and my friend's mid-fi turntable sounds terrible in comparison.  There *is* great, analog-like sound to be found from CDs if you know where to look.

hifitommy

COexistence
« Reply #35 on: 7 Nov 2005, 04:34 am »
your wife listens to her vinyl, and LOTS of it is available for a buck apiece.  for trying music, theres no better bargain.  and even for a buck much of it is in great shape.  

chicago should be loaded with great vinyl shops with VERY affordable discs.  

i have 7k LPs and about 2K CDs, 100 SACDs, and many music DVDs.  i am not giving up any of it.   i go through long periods of no vinyl play only to make some great discoveries in my collection.

dont give up on  his superior sounding format.