which 2011 mac mini?

JohnR

Re: which 2011 mac mini?
« Reply #40 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:13 am »
Newer is better.  :P

Isn't that always the case?

When it comes to computer technology, usually... Jim, why are you interested, are you not satisfied with your current rig?

jrebman

« Reply #41 on: 24 Aug 2011, 02:29 pm »
Hi John,

Actually, I'm more than satisfied with the current rig, just considering a mini for the bedroom headphone rig that would do double duty as a somewhat general purpose machine (browsing and email mostly) and music playback.  Of course because of the synthesized speech issue, I would be doing one or the other and not trying to listen to music and computer speech at the same time.

I had been looking at the usb version of the auraliti, but the mini is about the same price, does not have an external switcher, and does a whole lot more.  It would also most likely bepaired with my Audiophileo AP2 and AudioGD NFB-2 and use PM.

-- Jim

dmccombs

« Reply #42 on: 24 Aug 2011, 03:50 pm »
So, hate to ask a stupid question, but which are the Sandy Bridge processors?  Are these in the minis?

So much conflicting data on the 2011s, Lion on the 2010s, etc., wish I could find a real definitive answer as to whether the 2011 running PM is indeed better or at least equivalent to the 2010 with PM, though for now I'm betting that my Mach2 2010 with PM is still the best choice (obviously with snow leopard).

-- Jim

Jim,

You will get conflicting reports because you have 3 major variables:
2010 Mini vs. 2011 Mini
Snow Leopard vs. Lion
PM on Snow Leopard (with Integer mode) vs. PM on Lion (without Integer mode).

The 2011 hardware provides a nice sonic improvement over the 2010, when configured the same way.  IMO, snow Leopard sounds much better than Lion right now (when compared on the same hardware).  And PM will sound better using Integer mode, then not using Integer mode.

In the end, for your situation (Stock 2010, Snow Leopard, PM) vs. (Stock 2011, Lion, PM), I would agree with Wgscott and say its going to be a draw.  With that, I would by the 2011.  You can always send it to us later for an upgrade if you like.

Now if you are comparing your 2010 Mach2, against the (Stock 2011, Lion, PM), the Mach2 will beat it easily for a few reasons (built in SSD, our software mods, no Lion, PM runs in Integer mode).

Regards,
Darrell
www.mach2music.com

JohnR

« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:01 pm »
Actually, I'm more than satisfied with the current rig, just considering a mini for the bedroom headphone rig

Have you considered just using something like an Apple TV as remote speaker? I'm not entirely sure of the UI issues but that is what I would do in that situation.

wgscott

« Reply #44 on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:08 pm »
Have you considered just using something like an Apple TV as remote speaker? I'm not entirely sure of the UI issues but that is what I would do in that situation.

ATV2 has only an optical out, but if you can hook that up to a headphone DAC/amp, it will be great (within the 44.1/48kHz 16-bit limits).

JohnR

« Reply #45 on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:30 pm »
ATV2 has only an optical out,

Sure, but it would connect straight into his NFB-2

wgscott

« Reply #46 on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:56 pm »
Looks like it will.  Yes.

chrisby

« Reply #47 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:01 pm »
ATV2 has only an optical out, but if you can hook that up to a headphone DAC/amp, it will be great (within the 44.1/48kHz 16-bit limits).

well actually,  an HDMI as well, but that's irrelevant to Jim's ever moving  :thumb: target

OT from this particular thread, but any further word on the "rumor" of Tom Holman's "association" with Apple?  I'm sure many of us have already compiled a not so short wish list of products/upgrades we'd be happy to see. 

jrebman

« Reply #48 on: 25 Aug 2011, 12:29 am »
Actually, I want a real computer for the other needs mentioned, plus 24/192 is also a must (that's why the AP2) and I've already had the NFB-2 modified with a BNC for this purpose.  And I just don't like optical connnections in general.

Nothing wrong with the suggestions but just a bit too limiting for my purposes.  And I'd be using one of a couple headphone amps I've already got.

-- Jim

larevoj

« Reply #49 on: 2 Nov 2011, 07:44 am »
Do note that the new MacBook Air or Mac Mini have no downgrade path - Snow Leopard lacks the necessary drivers for Apple's latest hardware.

dmccombs

« Reply #50 on: 7 Nov 2011, 07:27 pm »
Do note that the new MacBook Air or Mac Mini have no downgrade path - Snow Leopard lacks the necessary drivers for Apple's latest hardware.

Its not easy to put Snow Leopard on the 2011 Mac Mini's but it can be done.  The 3 Mach2 Servers mentioned by Steven Stone, at the RMAF were all 2011 Mac Minis with Snow Leopard.

http://www.avguide.com/blog/rmaf-2011-report-digital?page=2

But, it is incredibly difficult and for the folks taking the DIY route, I suggest just sticking with Lion on the 2011 Macs.  It will save you lots of cussing and brain aches.

Darrell
Mach2 Music