Schiit, If your pre-ordered Bifrost DAC put impressions here of the Schiit!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I started this thread so all of us who pre-ordered the Bifrost DAC can put impressions, observations, problems, joys of this cool new DAC.
 I'm psyched about this DAC are you? Lets get a rough idea of how many preordered,

I did....there's 1 with USB

bacobits1

One here ordered, without USB.
Order #51.

D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I ordered on w/o usb.  Eager to hear how it compares to a Twisted Pear Sabre dac. 

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
I ordered one with the USB Input.

Randy

judmarc

Ordered w/USB.  Also have S/PDIF optical out, so will be interested to hear how they compare.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Sorry. Couldn't resist.  :lol:

I know the tour will generate lots of conversation, but I'm eager to hear what purchasers are hearing with this DAC. I've put in my order but don't know when it will arrive.

If you get yours first, please feel free to use this thread to record your comments and observations.

srb

Not really a great title for a comments and observations topic.  How about

Schiit Bifrost Hands-on Observations (When the Schiit hits the ....)

Steve

Rclark

People might ask, "Why would buy such a Schiit Dac?"   :green:

I hope it turns out good
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2011, 09:21 am by Rclark »

JohnR

I don't know about the DAC, but the marketing is brilliant  ;)

eclein

• Volunteer
JohnR I am in complete agreement, since I first heard about Schiit I have probably typed the name with the double i more times than all the other names in the audioworld combined.

JohnR

Ed, did you order one?

eclein

• Volunteer
Yep, with USB....just to be able to say I got some Schiit DAC...LOL

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
I debated whether to order the USB option and decided to go without (for now). I have a Hiface adapter on my Mac Mini, and the Schiit folks don't seem to be that enamored of their own USB board. All that said, I will be looking for feedback from Bifrost owners with the USB option. The nice thing about this unit is how easily it can be upgraded.

rpf

I debated whether to order the USB option and decided to go without (for now). I have a Hiface adapter on my Mac Mini, and the Schiit folks don't seem to be that enamored of their own USB board.

Why do you say that?

I saw a post somewhere (Head-Fi?) where they claimed they spent a lot of time on the asynch USB implementation and thought it was advanced.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Why do you say that?

I saw a post somewhere (Head-Fi?) where they claimed they spent a lot of time on the asynch USB implementation and thought it was advanced.

http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-bifrost/

Well then, how about your USB? Is it fully buzzword compliant? 24/192? Async?
It is absolutely buzzword compliant! Not only is it USB async, but it’s USB 2.0 async that’ll do up to 24 bits/192 kHz sampling rates. Yes. USB 2.0. Not antique 1.1. It works without drivers on Mac and we’ll provide drivers here on the site for Windows 7, Vista, and XP. It’s a good-sounding, reliable, solid implementation of USB. But that’s like saying, “Well, its a very nice meal, given that the chef could only work with McDonald’s hamburgers.”*

Wait. Are you saying USB is crap?
We’re saying we put a ton of time into our USB implementation, but, to our ears, USB still doesn’t quite offer the performance of SPDIF. And we can even get into shades of gray on SPDIF too: consider Mike Moffat’s AT&T ST-optical interfaces and Sumo’s Axiom/Theorem transport and D/A, which had a separate low-jitter master clock connection from the transport.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yep, with USB....just to be able to say I got some Schiit DAC...LOL
I guess now you think your Shitt doesn't stink.  :wink:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!

eclein

• Volunteer
I guess now you think your Shitt doesn't stink.  :wink:
Schiit doesn't stink, sheesh Bob....LOL :icon_twisted:

JohnR

One of these days, someone will report on the SOUND....  :roll: :roll: :lol:

bacobits1

After Aug 31, I guess.

I do think they should have threw one out to a reviewer somewhere.
But if it bombed it would be the quick end of it.

D