in retrospect

pmcneil

in retrospect
« on: 15 Jul 2011, 04:29 am »
I have owned VMPS RM2s, and the larger subwoofer.

The larger subwoofer (with low xmax chinese drivers) was a 'no brainer': I sent it back. It made ludicrous rattling noises when being driven by the  low level output of the Velodyne SDS1, an equalization system, at 40 -30 htz. Brian said in response that this was why he didn't listen to test patterns (but he did take them back with full credit, minus shipping).

The RM2, were more difficult. But ultimately I longed for something more real, and accurate and dynamic, and with a more precise soundstage, e.g. with a sound approximating 'live'. And now that I have it (sorry, I won't say what 'it' is here), I won't look back in the VMPS direction. I think the problem is those midrange drivers, but it could be more, including the outdated, low excursion woofers.

Or, perhaps i just did not have enough patience, adjusting the knobs in the back, I'll never no!

But now I do now know what accurate sound can do:it is exciting!

bsoko2

Re: in retrospect
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2011, 05:43 am »
I have owned VMPS RM2s, and the larger subwoofer.

The larger subwoofer (with low xmax chinese drivers) was a 'no brainer': I sent it back. It made ludicrous rattling noises when being driven by the  low level output of the Velodyne SDS1, an equalization system, at 40 -30 htz. Brian said in response that this was why he didn't listen to test patterns (but he did take them back with full credit, minus shipping).

The RM2, were more difficult. But ultimately I longed for something more real, and accurate and dynamic, and with a more precise soundstage, e.g. with a sound approximating 'live'. And now that I have it (sorry, I won't say what 'it' is here), I won't look back in the VMPS direction. I think the problem is those midrange drivers, but it could be more, including the outdated, low excursion woofers.

Or, perhaps i just did not have enough patience, adjusting the knobs in the back, I'll never no!

But now I do now know what accurate sound can do:it is exciting!

Too bad! The VMPS Large that I have is exciting. It has a TC Sounds PR though and does deliver the goods for me. I will be upgrading the Megawoofers to the Ultramegawoofers.

pmcneil

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:43 am »
TC sounds PR (=passive radiator?). My question would be, what is the Xmax, etc., if going for the 'Ultra-mega woofers'!

Is the Xmax 6 (about if not greater than the 'Mega-woofers'), 10, or 30 mm? That matters, if you don't want to hear rattling and distortion at low frequencies. Please, rather than giving names, e.g. 'Mega', 'Ultra-Mega', or whatever, give numbers!

pmcneil

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:45 am »
Whoops, I think I responded to a sarcastic joke! :roll:

But still, give the numbers....

pmcneil

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:48 am »
No, maybe there are 'Ultra-Mega' woofers, I now see from reading other posts!

Well, what are the numbers for these, and who makes them?

Linkwitz Riley

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:03 am »
I don't know the numbers, but I believe they are custom made by Eminence to Brian's (the designer & founder of VMPS) specifications.

pmcneil

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:07 am »
 Eminence! Well, let's hope Brian has changed them completely. They do 'pro' subs, that generally don't have to go below 50 htz, and never, to my knowledge, have.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:10 am »
 :scratch:

As just stated, custom made to specifications. They build drivers to the specification that a speaker manufacturer asks for. What they sell as their own line has nothing to do with it.

JDUBS

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:13 am »
Eminence! Well, let's hope Brian has changed them completely. They do 'pro' subs, that generally don't have to go below 50 htz, and never, to my knowledge, have.

Eminence has made PLENTY of drivers that go below 50hz....on a custom and Eminence-branded basis. 

-Jim

pmcneil

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:16 am »
OK, what are the TLS specifications?

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:21 am »
Is there a point to this?

pmcneil

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:25 am »
Yep, if one doesn't know what the t/s parameters are, there is no objective way to evaluate a sub driver. Especially important are Fs and Xmax (and size, e.g. displacement). These are physical parameters that even Bose can not ignore, when moving air is involved!

pjchappy

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:35 am »
As an owner of a Smaller Sub for many, many years (admittedly, several of those years it was in storage, just due to space considerations), I haven't had any complaints.  It does have the original woven carbon fiber Megawoofers, however (vs. whatever drivers you apparently had experience with). 

I just wanted to give full disclosure before I say this -- it seems to me you have some type of agenda, here.  If you had a problem with VMPS speakers, that's fine. . .but you are definitely handling the situation in a poor fashion, especially when you are making subtle attacks on a product/driver you implicitly have no knowledge about.

Paul

pmcneil

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:45 am »
I can't speak for the 'poor handling' issue. But I am not being 'subtle' in asking for the t/s parameters in a product that I purchased and paid for shipping on without knowledge of them. I'm being objective. An 'agenda'? Doesn't everyone have one?

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:03 am »
But you already returned the product and got your money back.

PLMONROE

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:51 am »
Personally if I were unhappy with a product and the seller cheerfully took it back and returned my purchase price in full -  I would hope to  have the good grace to quit complaining.  :)

Paul

fredgarvin

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:22 pm »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:41 pm »
Our 15" Ultramegawoofer has outstanding specifications, including Fs of 18Hz, Xmax of 16mm, power handling of 600W, sensitivity of 87dB/1W/!m, 150oz magnet, and heavy diecast frame.  Source is Eminence. The matching Big Bump PR has Xmax of 24mm, Fs of 10Hz, heavy vitrified paper cone/doublethick foam surround, high compliance, and user adjustable moving mass so you can tune the sub to its environment and associated gear. The BBPR is assembled in our own factory from baskets supplied by Alpha Products of Chicago, and cones/spiders/gaskets from RDM of Arkansas.

The specs for the TC Sounds drivers are on their website. 

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2011, 11:37 pm »
As an owner of a Smaller Sub for many, many years (admittedly, several of those years it was in storage, just due to space considerations), I haven't had any complaints.  It does have the original woven carbon fiber Megawoofers, however (vs. whatever drivers you apparently had experience with). 

I just wanted to give full disclosure before I say this -- it seems to me you have some type of agenda, here.  If you had a problem with VMPS speakers, that's fine. . .but you are definitely handling the situation in a poor fashion, especially when you are making subtle attacks on a product/driver you implicitly have no knowledge about.

Paul

I have two Larger subs (only using one at this time however), but have never had a problem with either.  For a sub, there's just putty.  I also have VMPS RM40s and did a head to head with Salk HT3s and I liked the VMPS better.  However, my wife did not.  Alas, I have the HT3s now (still a good speaker, just not necessarily my cup of tea).