JackD201 room..

DEV

Re: JackD201 room..
« Reply #80 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:12 pm »
Hi guys thanks.  :thumb:

I'm getting there and have now narrowed down my modest room "nothing like Jack's" build after doing more & more research and actually going back and forth with Bryan of GIK, Bryan has been truely helpful which I really appreciate. He has recommended a room size to be built within what I actually have, the room size suggested to be 17ft wide by 21'10" long with 9ft ceilings not including loss of height if I have soffits on the perimeter walls. This isn't my dream room but will at least tie me over hopefully until we decide to move and I can build such, also I will be able to learn from this along with working with specific venders of choice.

So have a look below and if you have any thoughts kindly let me know, I appreciate any input.  :)

My thoughts to date but not yet finalized;

Construction:

Sub-floor: Installing first, going with Barricade insulated subfloor

Walls: Gasket installed under bottom plate onto sub-floor, constructing new 2" x 4" walls with double top plate in front of the two existing exterior 2" x 6" walls. All walls will be secured using RSIC-DC04 clips attached from the ceiling joist. The two new interior walls construction will be 2" x 6" top & bottom plates with staggered 2" x 4" stud construction, double top plate.

Preparation for drywall on the ceiling only: I'll be using RSIC-1 Resilient Sound Isolation Clips with a furring channel (hat track) within.

No preparation for walls, installing onto the wood framing.

Drywall installation: 2 layers of 5/8" with Green Glue between on the ceiling and walls.

Green Glue used through out for joints etc.

Accoustics: not yet finalized

Soffits: Still wondering about these, I see some rooms with none, others with them all around the perimeter and some only down the sides.

Any thoughts in relation to this? What are the benifits or draw backs of doing such?

Bass traps: The two corners behind the speakers do I build them on a angle or have separate as Jack has done in his room, what are the benifits or draw backs from doing such?

Bass trap, back wall of the room: do I build a cavity for such or used mounted? what are the benifits or draw backs from doing such?

Jack hope you don't mind me posting this info. here if so so let me know.  :thumb:

JackD201

Re: JackD201 room..
« Reply #81 on: 29 Oct 2011, 03:34 am »
No problem whatsoever David.

In my case The soffits were more a matter of necessity for the HVAC ducting which is oversized to keep them quiet. I think I'm neutral on the subject. Sometimes I just like their look, sometimes I fantasize about having VR-11s and the soffits burst my daydream bubble. Depending on who you ask in my household, that's either a good thing or a bad thing.  :lol:

I'd rather have corner traps not built in. That way they can still be tuned easily. You've got Omnis so being able to play with the angles of the traps can be a big help in fine tuning the system as well.