« Reply #40 on: 2 Aug 2011, 10:17 am »
Wow Jack, a double stack of shockwave? :o

Remember, the Unifield was designed for small rooms.  :wink:

JackD201

Re: JackD201 room..
« Reply #41 on: 2 Aug 2011, 10:26 am »
Wow Jack, a double stack of shockwave? :o

Remember, the Unifield was designed for small rooms.  :wink:

It also works great in big ones :) I'm still babysitting a pair in my bedroom which is about 45sq/m and it can fill it up nicely. I just go easy on the Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, and Ferry Corsten  :thumb:

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2011, 07:40 am »
Damon and I just returned from the Philippines and while there, we modified Jack's VR-9SE to Mk2 status.  I can honestly say that Jack's system is the best I've ever heard using VR-9's.  His system makes my personal VR-9 system sound a bit constrained and not as much fun to listen to - don't get me wrong, my system is fantastic, but Jack's room and amplifiers are unbeatable.  Jack not only bought the best equipment, but his room design is spectacular, in both technical design and in cosmetic design.  Congratulations Jack, I'm quite proud to have you as our Distributor in Manila!

JackD201

« Reply #43 on: 17 Sep 2011, 08:56 am »
We're proud to be part of the VSA family Albert!  :D :D :D

tmij

« Reply #44 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:32 pm »
The loudspeakers can definitely breath freely but lifesize is stretching things a bit. I'd need VR-11s for that  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The room can certainly handle it, right? ;)

JackD201

« Reply #45 on: 22 Sep 2011, 07:05 am »
Actually it could but I'd have to remove all the seats behind and move back the listening chair about 5 feet.  It is our little private lounge so I guess that's out of the question.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how the the 11s excite the upper half of the room however. If VSA makes a compact 11, say something 6'2" instead of 7'6", I think I'll bite. THAT the room can take!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2011, 01:22 pm »
That's a good point Jack.  If there's anything missing with my VR5s it would be that added height would produce a more room filling sound when folks are standing in the rear of the room.  I have toyed with the idea of sitting the annies on stands to elevate them much like I've seen Cor do in photos of his shows.  The stands would of course be something very dense, heavy and inert...tightly coupled to the floor and speakers.  Since I'm running subs I wouldn't think it would negatively impact the low bass.  Thoughts?

JackD201

« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:16 am »
Hi Gavin,

Depending on your listening distance, you could add height by doing two simple things. Bringing the speakers out into the room a bit more and with a bit more toe-in and adjusting the rake of your Annie's by raising the front spikes a tad. Crisdlr, a friend and SR owner, had his SRs on stands, randybarba has his jr's on stands too. There is no negative impact on the bass as far as I could tell.

I'm actually very satisfied with my sound stage height right now. Center images are about the height of the super tweeters, or midway between floor and ceiling. When I say energy in the upper half of the room, I'm referring to the upper half being filled with midbass and bass energy because of the midwoofers and subwoofers up there exciting othe upper room nodes. This is something linesources and concentric arrays like 10's and 11's do very, very well. I'm itchin for that  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:17 pm »
You can't tell me that those 11s won't work in your subterranean room man  :nono:  Just have those 9s shipped to central Indiana and have Albert get cracking on building you a pair like Jimmy's  :thumb:

amandarae

« Reply #49 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:06 pm »
Amazing room Jack!  hope all is well.

Abe

JackD201

« Reply #50 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:43 pm »
Abe! How you doing bro?!!! I hope you and Doc Jr. are doing great! I haven't heard from you in ages!

amandarae

« Reply #51 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:44 pm »
Abe! How you doing bro?!!! I hope you and Doc Jr. are doing great! I haven't heard from you in ages!

Doing well sir! Yes, it's been quite a long time.  I am pretty busy at work and family activities(still feels like summer over here!).  I still have my audio stuff and listen to it once in a while but not even close to what you have there he,he,he.  The other thread here on VSA's forum with the "Parthenon" listening room is breathtaking to say the least!  Jimmy is family to you no?  Maybe not, I am just guessing. :)

Thanks for the reply boss!

Abe

JackD201

« Reply #52 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:54 pm »
He's my Kuya (Eldest Brother for our non-tagalog speaking friends) Abe  :D Glad to hear all is well. Amandarae must be all grown up now. She's about the same age as my eldest girl if I recall correctly. Let me know when you come back. I'll arrange a get together with the guys like JE, Joey, Detubs and Ambel. Keith also of course! Just prepare to gain some weight!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #53 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm »
Hey Jack,
 Just curious, with so many quality pieces in your system, do you have a medium preference? I was just wondering what source (or type of source) is in use most often.

JackD201

« Reply #54 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm »
Definitely LP Bill. I'm heavily invested in digital because there's just too much music I love that never saw vinyl. R2R is still my all time Holy Grail but the lack of technicians over here has pretty much dashed that dream.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #55 on: 23 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm »
R2R is still my all time Holy Grail but the lack of technicians over here has pretty much dashed that dream.

Well, you probably don't wantto hear this but In the past week I have seen 3 R2R decks in some of the big piles found on the side of the roads around town.

amandarae

« Reply #56 on: 24 Sep 2011, 04:27 am »
He's my Kuya (Eldest Brother for our non-tagalog speaking friends) Abe  :D Glad to hear all is well. Amandarae must be all grown up now. She's about the same age as my eldest girl if I recall correctly. Let me know when you come back. I'll arrange a get together with the guys like JE, Joey, Detubs and Ambel. Keith also of course! Just prepare to gain some weight!

Will do sir!  Yeah, the real Amandarae is growing too fast and her dad can barely catch up!  Thanks for the concern.   I wish for your daughter good health, and I know she's having a blast for being so fortunate to have parents like you and your wife.  Best regards!

McTwins

« Reply #57 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:18 pm »
Yup. 3m x 7m x 11m , the worst case scenario is to have all sides equal (sphere then cube) and next worst have exact multiples of 2 in one or more dimensions. Prime numbers are the farthest one can get from having common factors (1). This is why we get a lot of little nodes at a higher frequency than few big ones at lower frequencies. I recommend prime dimensions to anybody doing a ground up build.  :thumb:

First I would like to say, Very nice room. :D

You know me by know that I will eventually ask for some measurements of your room.

Is it possible for you to share some measurements of your room?

I don't agree with you when you say, that room ratio has to be prime dimension is the best ratio and where did you get this info from that it has to be prime dimension. :scratch:

Thanks

JackD201

« Reply #58 on: 24 Sep 2011, 06:10 pm »
Hi McTwins,

Thanks so much for the kind words :)

I really don't know what you are disagreeing with though because I never made that categorical statement. I did say, I went with a hunch and a prayer and it payed off with regards to nodal distribution. I'm just not sure if I went into that much detail here on AC or in WBF or wiredstate. Most tables available are for 50 or 55 sq/m rooms. This room was meant to be much larger from the outset because I wanted a big chunk of the quarter wave to avoid large suck outs and peaks. Given that added criteria, the smallest practical prime number dimensions without repeating any of then is 3x7x11 so that's what I did. 3x5x7 would not satisfy the quarter wave requirements for sub 20Hz. Plug these dimensions in any online calculator and you'll see that they pass almost all rating systems.

In any case, what measurements in particular would you want to see and from what positions? Like you, I didn't want a dead room, just a quiet one. :)

Jack

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #59 on: 24 Sep 2011, 11:00 pm »
I didn't want a dead room, just a quiet one.

Nicely stated. I have heard a few dead rooms in the past and they do "sound dead". When over done, it sucks the life out of the music.