Rythmik vs. Rel

jlafrenz

Rythmik vs. Rel
« on: 26 Jun 2011, 12:47 am »
I have come to the conclusion that I need a sub for my 2 channel room. I have narrowed it down to either a Rythmik (probably GR Research version) or a Rel (undecided on model). Both subs seem to be very highly thought of, especially for music. There is quite a bit of info out there on the Rythmik with their growing popularity, but I can seem to find any info comparing these two brands specifically. So I turn to those who have experience with both for some advice.

I currently have Aurum Cantus Monitors and have been thinking about switching to some Maggie MMG's for quite some time. The room is roughly 12x14. Let me know what other info I can provide to be helpful with your recommendations.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Rythmik vs. Rel
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2011, 03:02 am »
Which model REL subs are you talking about?  If its the cheaper REL subs, under 1K then I would look elsewhere.  My local Maggie dealer pairs them with the higher end REL's and they sound great. The Britannia series sound great. I'm partial to non ported servo controlled subs however.  While I have not heard the Rhytmik subs they appear to have good reviews.  I almost bought one last year to pair with my Magmepan 1.6's.  I also like the higher end Martin Logan subs like the Grotto I and higher. The Velodyne Optimum series subs are pretty good sounding.  I like the fact that they come with a remote control so that you can change the settings.

JL audio subs are worth a look too.

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm »
hope this is somewhat useful as i have not heard a REL. but i can tell you that i just got my rythmik F15 literally yesterday and hooked it up. although i only got to briefly hear it with music only (with my salk HT2-TL's) i can tell you that i haven't ever heard a sub like it. it actually is somewhat UNDERWHELMING at first as i can't tell i have a sub on (which, as we know, is a GOOD thing but not something i'm used to saying/hearing with a sub). it just makes your speakers sound better.

trianglezerius

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm »
Also try www.mjacoustics.co.uk for an excellent sub with remote. The remote controls phase by 1 degree from your listening chair which makes blending a breeze.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm »
I am using the GR-Research/Rythmik open baffle servo subs in my Super-V's and they have the best bass in my room I have had.  Just there to support the music when needed and does not call attention to them as subs.

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2011, 01:27 pm »
I built a couple of Rythmik subs and while the sound quality was fine, the output was disappointing. I've heard several REL subs and thought they were very good. I would recommend the REL. I'm currently using Elemental Designs subs and I'm very happy with them.

john1970

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2011, 02:25 pm »
I used to own two REL Strata III subs in my system.  Frankly, I found them more of a woofer than a subwoofer.  I also second the opinion to give JL Audio a try.  IMO they are one of the few subs that are very musical while at the same time have the ability to perform in LFE applications for home theater.

Good luck,
John

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2011, 02:29 pm »
I really like my Rythmik subs for ULF.  Of course my multiple sub (4) approach is the best I've ever had though.

I'd say get two Rythmiks and go from there.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2011, 03:26 pm »
I use 2 Rel Storm IIIs for distributed ".1" and stereo music.  I have a Rel Strata III on the rears and a Rel Q150 on the center.  Had them a long time.  Never heard the Rythmik subs so I can't comment.  I've also helped set up over a few dozen Rels so I'm familiar with them in a variety of set-ups.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2011, 03:35 pm »
  Geddes ???

charles

jlafrenz

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2011, 04:07 pm »
I see a few posts commenting about output and various concerns. I do want to clarify that this system is in a spare bedroom so large amounts of SPL are not necessary. As well, I will not be using it in an HT application at all, strictly 2 channel.

THROWBACK

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2011, 04:31 pm »
Here's another view. I have dipole Soundlab ESLs. I tried a number of subs but couldn't get them to integrate well. At the time, I didn't know why. I tried the OB GRs (Rhythmiks) under the (data free) theory that OB woofers might match better with my dipoles. Was my theory correct? Does radiation pattern really mean that much? No idea; but I am very pleased with the result. If you are going with dipole Maggies, you might explore this a bit.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:55 pm »
There are 2 ways to deal with bass issues in a room - either try to minimally excite room modes, or try to maximally excite them and thus even out bass response on average.  I think both approaches are valid. 

The first approach would be to have an OB sub, as it will excite fewer room modes than a box sub.  I've heard this approach in the GR Research V series speakers and it works very well. 

The second approach is to use multiple sealed subs asymmetrically placed around the room.  I've heard this in a Geddes system (using Rythmik subs), and it worked very, very well.  This is called a "swarm" setup.

Both of these approaches work much, much better than the old "stick the sub in the corner and hope for the best" approach most people seem to use.  Pick your path - OB or swarm, and don't look back ;)

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm »
In my opinion, OB and IB subs are where it is at.  I run four AE IB15s in an infinite baffle alignment for my HT driven by a Behringer EP2500 (2400 watts if I remember correctly), it could bring the house down if I let it.  Quick tuneful bass, outstanding especially for HT use.

I have a dedicated room for my 2 channel system, it started life as a small bedroom (10.5x12.5).  Box type speakers always sounded boomy, a boxed sub need not apply.  I am running GR Research V1s, they contain a pair of Rythmik 12" servo drivers per speaker in OB alignment, the sound is outstanding.  Not boomy, just clean articulate, powerful and deep bass.  While it doesn't compare to the 4 15"s in the HT for output it is capable of waaay more output than I could ever use for 2 channel in this space.  It is the best bass I have ever heard.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm »
Well, I thought I saw a request for more info on OB subs but I don't see it now.  I am not certain exactly what the poster wanted to see but I dug up a thread by someone on AC who built the bottom half of a GR Research V1 for use as a stand alone sub, it is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70370.msg659197#msg659197

Best,
Ed

jlafrenz

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2011, 12:52 am »
Well, I thought I saw a request for more info on OB subs but I don't see it now.  I am not certain exactly what the poster wanted to see but I dug up a thread by someone on AC who built the bottom half of a GR Research V1 for use as a stand alone sub, it is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70370.msg659197#msg659197

Best,
Ed

I actually deleted my post asking for info because I realized that there was a section dedicated to OB. I appreciate the link and will check it out.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:43 am »
By the way, what is your budget?

jlafrenz

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:09 am »
By the way, what is your budget?

I was originally looking at the Rythmik/GR servo kit so I would like to be around there. I know this is limiting for various options, but it is a secondary system. And not to mention, other things to purchase for the new place.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:16 am »
Well, you've probably heard box subs before, this might be an opportunity to branch out a bit and hear a different implementation - an OB sub.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2011, 06:08 am »
Well, you've probably heard box subs before, this might be an opportunity to branch out a bit and hear a different implementation - an OB sub.

I have a couple of really nice dual 12" subs driven by O audio bash amps.....they are nice.

They do not compare in anyway to the OB bottom half of my V1s.....
I agree with Tyson........opportunity knocks.