Which Preamp - Nuforce or Bryston?

nocrapman

Which Preamp - Nuforce or Bryston?
« on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:23 pm »
I know there's a huge Bryston following here, but I am wondering which preamp to get - Nuforce P9 vs Bryston BP-26 or similar?

Any thoughts?

srb

Re: Which Preamp - Nuforce or Bryston?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:28 am »
Both are the manufacturer's top of their line preamps with external analog power supplies.  I've never compared them or had them in my home, so no opinion on which is the better sounding unit, although synergy with your power amplifier might also be a consideration.  But they do have some differences in price, warranty, connectivity and features, which might influence the choice for you.

Bryston BP26
Price:  $4690
Warranty: 20 years
Balanced Inputs:  2
Balanced Outputs:  Yes
Remote control:  volume, mute and phase
Home Theatre Bypass input:  No

NuForce P-9
Price:  $3150
Warranty:  3 years
Balanced Inputs:  No
Balanced Outputs: No
Remote control:  volume, mute and input selection
Home Theatre Bypass input:  Yes

Steve

nocrapman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:13 am »
Thanks Steve!
Appreciate the summary...
The biggest draw for the Nuforce for me seems to be the HT bypass and the price. The biggest drawback is the lack of balanced in/out.
I have long been a fan of Bryston's gear, and I am not poor by any means, but the price has always seemed steep. Yet with their wonderful warranty and some incredible deals on AG, I might be in business. The biggest drawback for me is the lack of HT bypass.

Currently I own an NAD 272 amp and an EE Minimax DAC. I know, I know my DAC costs more than my amp but the NAD is close to being upgraded. I am waiting for a good deal on a 4BSST2 or a Wyred ST 1000.

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:25 am »
Other simular SS pre-amps in the 3-5k price range:
Ayre K-5xe mp
McIntosh C48
Pass Labs XP-10
Sim Audio P5.3

srb

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:26 am »
Thanks Steve!
I have long been a fan of Bryston's gear, and I am not poor by any means, but the price has always seemed steep. Yet with their wonderful warranty and some incredible deals on AG, I might be in business. The biggest drawback for me is the lack of HT bypass.

The Bryston BP16, like the NuForce P-9, has HT Bypass but no balanced inputs or outputs.  One highly rated well-built preamp that has both balanced I/O and HT Bypass is the Parasound Halo JC 2 BP, but is almost as expensive as the BP26 at $4500 with a 5 year warranty.

Steve

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:38 am »
Other very good are Coda, Innersound ,Legacy all at good prices used.

djbnh

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:16 am »

The Bryston BP16, like the NuForce P-9, has HT Bypass but no balanced inputs or outputs.  One highly rated well-built preamp that has both balanced I/O and HT Bypass is the Parasound Halo JC 2 BP, but is almost as expensive as the BP26 at $4500 with a 5 year warranty.

Steve
I think the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE has balanced I/O, HT bypass, pretty full remote, and comes in just below $2K.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:57 am »
I think the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE has balanced I/O, HT bypass, pretty full remote, and comes in just below $2K.

I forgot about that one.  Has all the needed features and a good power supply all at a decent price.  And nocrapman did mention the Wyred 4 Sound ST1000 as a power amp possibility .....

Steve

Caar

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2011, 08:17 am »
NuForce P-9 has balanced output connections.
I'm using them and I'm ver pleased.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2011, 09:22 am »
NuForce P-9 has balanced output connections.
I'm using them and I'm ver pleased.

The NuForce P-9 has XLR outputs, but they are unbalanced.

Steve

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:33 pm »
I know there's a huge Bryston following here, but I am wondering which preamp to get - Nuforce P9 vs Bryston BP-26 or similar?

Any thoughts?

Why guess get a home demo of both units. Opinions are just that opinions. Obtain a Bryston Pre and Amp and a Nuforce Pre and amp and judge for yourself.
  Your room, your speakers, your ears. Before I plucked down some serious cash a home demo is a must.

charles 

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:04 pm »
I am VERY happy with my Wyred4Sound STP-SE and the customer service was excellent during the ordering process. Most highly recommended!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:11 pm »
neither - a preamp needs tubes, imo...

doug s.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2011, 03:01 pm »
neither - a preamp needs tubes, imo...

doug s.

Roger that. :D

larevoj

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2011, 03:51 pm »
My system comprise of Bryston 4BSST2, BP26 with MPS2 and BDA-1 driving my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M. All I can say is the synergy is amazing  :thumb:

Specs are only specs and I strongly suggest (like others) to audition first. What rock my boat may not be the same for you.

Cheers!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2011, 05:28 am »

Any thoughts?

It always helps to know what other components are in your system...as well as your room and music preference..... :thumb:

And a fine point by rollo....

Why guess get a home demo of both units. Opinions are just that opinions. Obtain a Bryston Pre and Amp and a Nuforce Pre and amp and judge for yourself.
  Your room, your speakers, your ears. Before I plucked down some serious cash a home demo is a must.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2011, 06:46 am »
It always helps to know what other components are in your system...as well as your room and music preference..... :thumb:

And a fine point by rollo....

charles 

You can get a home demo on the Nuforce unit. Contact John Casler on the VMPS circle. He will set up everything.

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2011, 03:03 pm »
You can get a home demo on the Nuforce unit. Contact John Casler on the VMPS circle. He will set up everything.

Thanks for the mention Charles and yes, I would be glad to set that up.

As well I have used the BP26 as my personal REFERENCE Preamp for several years in my 2 channel music system, and have also used the P-9.

They are both excellent considerations.  Feel free to contact me if you want my opinion, or have questions.

kingdeezie

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2011, 03:43 pm »
Thanks Steve!
Appreciate the summary...
The biggest draw for the Nuforce for me seems to be the HT bypass and the price. The biggest drawback is the lack of balanced in/out.

Currently I own an NAD 272 amp and an EE Minimax DAC. I know, I know my DAC costs more than my amp but the NAD is close to being upgraded. I am waiting for a good deal on a 4BSST2 or a Wyred ST 1000.

I don't know much about either of the preamps being discussed here, but don't let the lack of HT bypass be a huge consideration if you really like the Bryston over the Nuforce.

When you have a HT receiver or processor, during the setup, the white noise tone they give you is generally reference levels.

As long as you have a SPL meter, you can turn up the volume on preamp to match the desired levels of reference; usually 85 or 75 dbs depending. Mark where the volume is on the Bryston, and as long as you put it on there whenever you are watching movies, you can successfully use the HT processor or receivers volume control to control your HT experience.

I have a Purity Audio Labs/Response Audio preamp from a few years ago that I bought used without HT bypass. I love the sound of the preamplifier so using the above method it works out just fine.

nocrapman

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm »

charles

I would have loved that approach, but the biggest audio store in my area just closed and wasnt even a Bryston or nuforce dealer. I will try to at least demo out the Nuforce at home by contacting John. Wyred does not encourage such demos!!