US Open: Can McIlroy hold on this time?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
US Open: Can McIlroy hold on this time?
« on: 17 Jun 2011, 07:09 pm »
I don't see anybody in the afternoon groups making a charge.  Conditions almost always get tougher in the afternoon as greens dry out and gets bumpier with foot traffic.  There is a storm coming in too. 

Anyway, Rory will probably carry more than a 5 shoot lead into the 3rd round.  Has he learned from his Masters melt down?

vinyl_lady

Re: US Open: Can McIlroy hold on this time?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2011, 02:46 am »
I think we will see a different Rory down the stretch this time. I've been glued to the golf channel since I got home from work. He has one of the best golf swings I've seen in a long, long time. I sense that he has learned/grown from his Masters experience and having his dad here could really help on the mental/emotional side. Of course, he still has to do it and until he does someone is going to keep bring up the Masters. I hope he does, I like his chances.

Are you there in person?

Tough to bring the greens to "US Open conditions" when thunderstorms keep rolling in. Not often that you see them shooting at the flag at a US Open and sticking it.

Laura
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2011, 05:23 pm by vinyl_lady »

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:35 am »
I hope he can. He seems a lot more relaxed than at the Masters. He has a great temperment and looks like he is having some serious fun out there. 8)
Good luck to him :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:42 am »
The fact that you asked the question shows the doubt we all have.  Listen, I love Rory and no one is rooting for him more than I.  I've been following him since his debut, he's a great kid and a fine golfer.  But he's yet to show that killer instinct we saw in Tiger as a youngster.  Not that he is or should be be Tiger, he has his own style that is very different, but I think you know what I mean, that fire in the eye that says winner.  I hope he slaughters them on the weekend and goes on to to win one or both of the other majors this year, he has the talent, just don't know if the guts are there, yet.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:49 pm »
I am going tomorrow.  They made a lot of changes at the course.  All the greens have been redone with a lot more undulations and holes have been lengthened.  I have been told that you wouldn't recognize some of the holes if you played it a few years back.   I will check it out for myself tomorrow.  I am hoping someone steps up today to get within 4 of Rory -- that's lead he had at the Masters.  Then we will see Sunday if he has learned his lesson. 

P.S.  I would love to be in his finish position after a full shot -- what a full turn on the swing. 

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:07 pm »
I am a big fan of McIlroy and hope he pulls this one out.  He's a good kid and a real pleasure to watch play.  If he pulls a LeBron, I'll be shocked.   :thumb:

At the moment, there are not a lot of golfers in the mix who are as exciting as Rory.  He is hitting some crazy-good shots.  Go Rory!

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:13 pm »
I will be watching with interest, I like the kid, and it would be great for a young Euro player to win.

Not because I don't want a US person to win, but for the global game, Rory would be a great champion for the coming year.

I imagine YE will hang around and make a decent run of it, but I honestly do expect Rory to get it done this time.

I also agree that he has a beautiful swing to watch.

PeteG

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2011, 05:28 pm »
I like him too, hope he wins. I think it will be close at the end of the day Sunday, I don’t think he will win with a 5 shot lead. However, if he has another melt down and doesn’t win, it will leave a deep scar.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm »
P.S.  I would love to be in his finish position after a full shot -- what a full turn on the swing.

No kidding.

He's looking good so far today-- 2 under through 11. Followed a bogey at 10 with a birdie at 11, and from the rough no less.

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2011, 12:18 am »
The media is going full blast to make him the next "Tiger".

I wish him well.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:15 am »
The young man has a good head on his shoulders, and one of the best swings around. He was throwing darts a good bit of today. I think the only way he doesn't win tomorrow is if he doesn't tee off.

It's possible someone might catch him, never say never, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

I am going tomorrow.

Hope you have a great day, and the weather holds. And enjoy what turn you've got, as the body likes turning less and less as it ages. Speaking from experience.  :thumb:

jwes

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:20 am »
I used to root for Tiger all the time.  Right now I'm hoping Rory beats his US Open margin of victory record.  Fairly sure he's not going to get caught with an 8 stroke lead.  Not at a US Open.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2011, 08:24 pm »
Looking awesome through 5. Two under for the day and some great par saving putts. :thumb: :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2011, 09:59 pm »
Wow, he's running away with it.

Bigfish

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm »
I really great for the guy!  It is time for another great player to step up and maybe it is Roy!

Ken

pardales

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm »
He's gonna do it!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2011, 11:41 pm »
Great story!!!! Congrats!!!!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:00 am »
WOW! 8)

A solid final 18 under incredible pressure and scrutiny. A well deserved win for a great kid with a great attitude.

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:23 am »
WOW! 8)

A solid final 18 under incredible pressure and scrutiny. A well deserved win for a great kid with a great attitude.
+1

jwes

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2011, 04:31 am »
16 under and 8 stroke margin of victory.  Broke every record I think except Tiger's 15 stroke margin of victory at Pebble in 2000.

Nice job young man!! :thumb: