US Open: Can McIlroy hold on this time?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: US Open: Can McIlroy hold on this time?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:26 am »
Looked a bit shaky on the home stretch, but nothing like Augusta.  Maybe he was trying to coast home and not take unnecessary chances.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:55 am »
It was great to see some of the players swing in person.  Repeatable swing -- that's what every pro has and what I want.  So many times, I tell myself to swing "normally" on a critical 220 yard shot to reach a par5 in 2 but end up over swinging.  Seeing pros in person always benefit my game for a few weeks because I will commit to swinging easy. 

Rory has no fear.  He is in a zone and just goes.  It was fun to see.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:47 pm »
Looked a bit shaky on the home stretch, but nothing like Augusta.  Maybe he was trying to coast home and not take unnecessary chances.

I'm not sure I would call an even par back nine at the US Open with a birdie, bogey, par on the last 3 holes shakey. He may have let his foot off the accelerator on 17 with a 9 stroke lead and 2 holes to play and was coasting a little. His reaction to the bogey on 17 was what you would have hoped it would be. He put his approach on 18 right where he should have given he was hitting from the rough with water on the left. Then he put an 80' putt from the fringe about 6" from the hole. For me, the most impressive part of his final round was the first 5 holes. He answers Lee Westwood's birdie on 1 with his own birdie, drills two par saving putts from that dangerous 5' to 10' range and makes another birdie on 4. He clearly sent a message to the field that it was game over, have fun playing for 2nd. Then he topped that with a near ace on 10, one of the toughest holes on the course.

I think he is a great kid and will be a real asset to the tour. He never got upset with the constant references to what happened on Sunday at the Masters. He handled those questions professionally and with grace, and then let his golf game close the book on what happened at the Masters.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:13 pm »
I agree. He was totally in control from start to finish and he conducted himself impeccably.

-Roy

drab

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:21 pm »
I agree too. I think it may have seemed a little shaky but only because they showed every single shot he played. Trust me, if they had showed every shot from the other players they would have seemed even more shaky. :D