Your top 10 favorite guitarists?

wywires

Re: Your top 10 favorite guitarists?
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:00 pm »
How about Elliot Randall and Denny Diaz from Steely Dan?

simoon

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:09 pm »
Here are mine in no particular order.

Alan Holdsworth
John McLaughlin
Alex Machacek
Shawn Lane
Steve Hackett
Mike Keneally
John Williams (not the movie composer)
Paco De Lucia
Steve Hillage
Robert Fripp
Ralph Towner
Daniel Gildenlow
Ron Jarzombek

Yeah, it's more than 10...sue me...

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #62 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:19 pm »
All great musicians so far.

A couple additional names come to mind:

Charlie Christian
Rory Gallagher
Kenny Burrell
Alvin Lee
Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown)
Steve Morse

and so many more...

:thumb:

I may have missed it, but I don't think I saw Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on anyone's list.  :o

won ton on

« Reply #63 on: 9 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm »
can't forget Frank Marino

HAITIMAN

« Reply #64 on: 10 Jun 2011, 12:13 am »
can't forget Frank Marino

Mahogany Rush/Live - "Dragonfly"......brilliant!

won ton on

« Reply #65 on: 10 Jun 2011, 12:19 am »
real live double cd in montreal is excellent

won ton on

« Reply #66 on: 10 Jun 2011, 12:25 am »
jeff beck live at ronnie scott's =wow. what's ole clappers or page done lately

Delacroix

« Reply #67 on: 10 Jun 2011, 04:57 am »
Lenny Breau -- was he mentioned....ouch, that man was magic!
Joe Pass.....need I say more?

I hear these guys and I wonder what the fuss is about so many of those 70s rock "gods" with their two-bar riffs or those 80s guys widdling around the neck in some kind of finger-speed Olympics. Impressive, yes but.....

and because I love him, Ronnie Earl...feel over technique, every time.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #68 on: 10 Jun 2011, 05:23 am »
Mahogany Rush/Live - "Dragonfly"......brilliant!

Mahogany Rush played at my middle school in 76 or 77. It was my first live concert  8)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #69 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:51 am »
Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar in 1941 so he has to make my list. He and Mary Ford were the first to lay down multiple tracks ( over dubbing ) way back in the 50's. Google just honored him on his birthday.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jun 2011, 01:59 pm »
Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar in 1941 so he has to make my list.

He was also an awesome picker...
 :thumb:
D.D.

jackman

« Reply #71 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:33 pm »
Hey guys, this is about our "favorite" guitarists, not who we think is "technically" the best.  I am not saying Angus and Malcolm will ever have the technical chops of Segovia or that guys like Mark Knopfler will ever be mistaken for Wes Montgomery, etc.  But all of these guys are great, in my opinion, because the music they play speaks to me (and so many others).  My list was comprised of players who are able to stir something up in my soul that is impossible to explain. 

When I was a younger guy (high school and early college), I played guitar and hung out with some guitar player friends.  We were total snobs and would go to concerts to see some great technical players.  I saw all of my technical guitar heros during this time including Al DiMioia, Paco Delucia, Steve Morse, John McLaughlin, legends like Carlos Montoya, and of course all of the schredders including Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc.  I also had first row for Christopher Parkening and marveled at his skill.  None of these players spoke to me, musically, like Stevie Ray Vaughn, David Gilmour or Jeff Beck (all of whom I have seen perform live). 

Jeff Beck, for instance, is insanely talented and because he is not flashy, he rarely gets the credit he deserves.  I am 100% convinced that Beck could have easily been a Jazz player if he wanted to, and if he did, he would have been a great one.  His command of the instrument and his understanding of music is humbling.  I'm not saying he is the best or my favorite (that would be SRV or Gilmour) but I can say that I've never seen anyone better than Jeff Beck. 

Another guitarist at the top of my favorite list is John Fruscante.  He could easy shred with any of the technical greats but has a sense of melody that is as good as any guitarist I have ever heard.  His playing is often minimalist but beautiful.  I've seen him play several times and have always marveled at his artistry and creativity.  He takes pieces from funk players, blues players, Jimi, EVH, etc. and melds them together with melodic styles of guys like Johnny Marr and Bernard Sumner (New Order/Joy Division) to make it his own.  His funky style of playing fits the RHCP's perfectly and I can't imagine any other guitarist replacing him in the RHCP.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm »
Lot of votes for EC (including me) but not too many for where young Eric got any awful lot of his licks from.
The great Freddie King with his red ES-345:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbqtnNorgQA

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #73 on: 10 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm »
Man, I saw one mention of Richard Thompson. When guitar players want to see something special, they go see Richard Thompson. I see lots of love for Roy Buchanan. How about that other great player from DC, Danny Gatton? Growing up around DC, I got to see Roy & Danny often. Being a Guitar God in DC is bad for your health. Roy hanged himself in the Reston jail, Danny blew his brains out in his garage. One other guy originally from Michigan who has been based out of the DC area for years now is Bill Kirchen, the Master of the Telecaster. Go way back and we had Link Wray. DC seems to produce better guitar players than it does politicians!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #74 on: 11 Jun 2011, 12:00 am »
Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Lee Ritenour....favorites....and they play so well!!

Alex
 :D

Loud and proud

« Reply #75 on: 11 Jun 2011, 12:56 am »
Great thread, Favz in no particular order!

Michael Hedges
Dwayne Allman
Robben Ford
Jerry Garcia
SRV
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Wes Montgomery
Jim Thomas (Mermen)
Angus Young

jimdgoulding

« Reply #76 on: 11 Jun 2011, 01:43 am »
Speaking of Buddy Guy and Stevie Ray Vaughn, on Buddy's "Damn Right, I've Got The Blues", he pays tribute to Stevie Ray on the last track, Rememberin Stevie.  THAT IS NOT TO BE MISSED.  Four choruses, each building to the other, is sooo wonderful.  The structure reminds me of how Coltrane would do that during his middle period.  It's an instrumental and Buddy Guy is mesmerizing with the feeling he delivers as well as his technique.  I wouldn't be kidding you.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2011, 04:52 pm by jimdgoulding »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #77 on: 11 Jun 2011, 02:25 am »
I like to listen the virtuoses John Tropea and Ricky Skaggs.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #78 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:50 pm »
Always a tough question -

Leo Kottke
John Renbourn
John Abercrombie
Pat Metheny
Terje Rypdal
Ralph Towner
Eric Clapton
Rory Gallagher
Alvin Lee
Jeff Beck
SRV

In the bass dept will throw in -
Eberhard Weber
Jaco Pastorius
Stanley Clarke
Jack Bruce
John Entwhistle
Dave Pegg (Fairport Convention & later Jethro Tull)
Jack Cassidy

Pedal Steel -
Rusty Young

bummrush

« Reply #79 on: 11 Jun 2011, 04:17 pm »
Tommy Bolin
Eric Clapton
Duane Allman
Ryan Adams
Neil Young
Stephen Stills