Home Theater and Stereo Listening

dogbait

Home Theater and Stereo Listening
« on: 30 May 2011, 08:19 am »
Following the purchase of a stack of Bryston monoblocks I'm still finding my system lacking and to be honest it's probably because I've got everything going through an AV Receiver (albeit a good one). Looking to buy a decent pre-amp for stereo and the candidates are the BP26, BP16 and BP25 (all Bryston of course ;)

I want to be able to use some sort of home theater pass through and I understand that only the BP16 offers this. Is there any way to use the BP26 or BP25 with some sort of home theater 'pass through'?
What do I give up buying the BP16 over the BP26/BP25?
Also how does the DAC in the BP16 compare to the DAC in the BDA-1?

Thanks.

skunark

Re: Home Theater and Stereo Listening
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2011, 08:24 am »
BP26 is the only one with balanced input/outputs but it's not a balanced pre-amp.  BP26 has an external power supply.

There's two DACs in the BDA vs the the DAC option for the BP26/16/6.  James or other might be able to speak on the quality difference.  My thought is the cost of the DAC option will get you pretty close to the price of the BDA and you will gain several more inputs.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2011, 11:10 am »
The BP25 is the model prior to the current BP26.  I believe James indicated the DAC in the preamp is 24/96 vs. 24/192 in the BDA-1.  The number of inputs won't be the same as the outboard DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2011, 11:13 am »
Yes definitely go with the outboard Dac - much better value, performance and features :thumb:

James

BrysTony

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2011, 01:08 pm »
Dogbait,

I have the BP-26 and it is a great preamp for 2 channel listening.  However, it just does not work for home theater application.  If I were making the choice again I would choose the BP-16 because of two important features that the BP-26 does not have: HT pass through and remote source selection.

The best solution for both HT and 2-channel is probably going to be the Bryston SP 3.O but it will come with a high price tag.

Tony

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2011, 03:34 pm »
The best solution for both HT and 2-channel is probably going to be the Bryston SP 3.O but it will come with a high price tag.

...it depends on the trade-in :wink:

al.

alexone

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2011, 03:36 pm »
i believe James once said that the internal DAC of the BP25 only goes 44.1/16 ?!?

correct, James?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2011, 03:53 pm »
i believe James once said that the internal DAC of the BP25 only goes 44.1/16 ?!?

correct, James?

al.

Correct - actually 48 and up-samples to 96.  Same for the B-60. The B100 is capable of 96/24.  The BDA-1 192/24 and the new SP3 192/24.

james

alexone

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2011, 04:27 pm »
...can a built in DAC be replaced by another one? for example a customer has a BP25 with the "old" DAC and now wants the 96/24 DAC?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2011, 04:35 pm »
...can a built in DAC be replaced by another one? for example a customer has a BP25 with the "old" DAC and now wants the 96/24 DAC?

al.

Hi Al,

No the board layout is entirely different between the products.

james

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2011, 04:40 pm »
Keep in mind that an HT can still coexist without a "real" HT bypass.  I have posted here on AC regularly that a pre with HT bypass is a cornerstone of HT/stereo marriage.  However, I currently own a great preamp (Concert Fidelity CF-080) that has no HT bypass.

All one needs to do is dedicate an input to the HT (front l/r's of the processor/receiver) and then choose a volume position that is both high in signal /noise (meaning not a real low preamp volume) and one that can be remembered by you or your family.  I also don't recommend MAX volume cuz if one forgets and changes inputs you'll get blown out of the room (and maybe a speaker driver or two, too).  ;)   I would recommend high noon for those volume controls that have no numerical output, or, if a numerical readout, some number high in the 70+% range of the volume that is easy to remember.   Set the volume of the pre there, put down/away your preamp volume remote control, calibrate your HT channel trims with your HT remote, and leave the pre volume there every time you watch a movie, etc.  Yes, in theory, your front HT channels are now being "processed" by the preamp, but so what. 

srb

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2011, 05:16 pm »
Yes, in theory, your front HT channels are now being "processed" by the preamp, but so what.

Only that running through another gain stage usually adds a bit of noise and running through another volume control might loose a tiny bit of clarity.

Which also points out the difference between a true HT bypass that bypasses all circuitry, versus an HT bypass that although might bypass the volume control, still goes through the gain stage at unity gain.

I think the majority of users (myself included), don't see the need for perfection of the soundpath for movies (or in my case, even matched surrounds), and are more interested in one input button convenience.  Those that use "HT" for more critical listening of multi-channel music might feel differently.

Steve

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2011, 06:26 pm »
True,  but if your dedicated stereo preamp adds that much noise, and masks that much clarity...it's time for a better preamp.

bummrush

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2011, 06:44 pm »
A few years ago with my set up the home theatre set up was disappointing in a positive or negative way depending on how you looked at it the problem was my mmg,s sounded to good all I could focus on was,,, that it sounded so good I couldn't focus on the video.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2011, 07:54 pm »
What I like about HT, don't have a BDP-1 yet! Is the higher sample rate, usually 48k and 24 bits. Even at 48k, piped through the BDA-1 or HDMI it puts 44.1/16 bit to shame. Mind you a good re-mastered cd can be quit impressive.

Spent the last couple of days being spoiled by:

Joe Satriani- Live in San Francisco
Peter Gabriel- Growing Up
Heart- Alive in Seattle
Pink Floyd- Pulse
Blue Man Group- Complex
Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere Not Here
Led Zep- Song Remains the Same & dvd
Kitaro- Live at Yakushiji & Enchanted Evening

dogbait

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2011, 08:13 pm »
Sound quality wise how far off is the BP16 from the BP26?
Also is a BP17 with balanced connections on the horizon James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2011, 08:17 pm »
Sound quality wise how far off is the BP16 from the BP26?
Also is a BP17 with balanced connections on the horizon James?

Hi,

The gain stages in the BP16 are identical to the BP-26 - it is just as others have said no balanced inputs/outputs on the BP-16.  No plans at all for a balanced BP17.

james

won ton on

« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2011, 08:29 pm »
James        I just put balanced interconnect's on my 4bsst2, bp-26,bdac and an aes/ebu from my bcd. For the same volume setting it seems to be louder.Yes i did switch the gain switches on the back of the amp and the balanced switch.Is that normal.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2011, 11:51 pm »
James        I just put balanced interconnect's on my 4bsst2, bp-26,bdac and an aes/ebu from my bcd. For the same volume setting it seems to be louder.Yes i did switch the gain switches on the back of the amp and the balanced switch.Is that normal.

Yes Balanced will sound anywhere from 3 to 6 dB louder depending on settings.

james

Mag

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2011, 01:52 pm »
Listened to Santana- Sacred Fire, last night. This was proof that the BDA-1 is doing a better job processing than my av/receiver. Heard details in the music that weren't there before and have played this concert dvd many times.:drool:

I am however using the av/receiver to process in multi-channel stereo with enhancer.

Some concert dvd with just the Dobly track don't sound very good. Like Kitaro- Enchanted Evening, the cd version has better clarity. Pink Floyd- Pulse, is disappointing compared to other concert dvd's. :smoke: