iTunes Library to DAC for Dummies...and I'm the Dummy

ajzepp

Okay, so I love iTunes. I have a Squeezebox Duet that is continually having connection issues, so I'm just trying to figure out how I can just use iTunes as my source for the time being. My computer doesn't have an optical out, but I have some available USB ports. Do I just need to run a usb-to-toslink cable/adapter from my Dell laptop to my outboard DAC? Or is it more complicated than that? Do I need to configure iTunes in a certain manner in order to have it output through the USB?

Thanks guys :)

srb

Re: iTunes Library to DAC for Dummies...and I'm the Dummy
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2011, 02:12 am »
You will need a USB to S/PDIF converter.  If you only need 16/44.1 playback, probably the cheapest option I know of is something like the Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface (< $30)  http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx.  Besides being a very mediocre DAC with analog outputs, it does also have an S/PDIF TOSLINK optical output.  If your DAC has an optical input, you are good to go.

There are a few other USB to Optical converters out there for even less money, but they are unknown brands that I am not familiar with.

If you need higher resolution playback like 24/96 or 24/192, or if your DAC only has a coaxial S/PDIF input, you will need a different, bit more expensive interface.

iTunes does not have the option to select its own audio playback device, so you would just have to set the Behringer USB device as the Windows default audio playback device.

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2011, 02:34 am »
Thanks, Steve...much appreciated!

What is your take on the Airport Express gadget? Looks like I can just plug it in next to my DAC and connect it via the optical output...is there any sonic disadvantage to using this method? Most of my music was ripped in Apple Lossless format.

Thanks again!

srb

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2011, 03:30 am »
I have three wireless N Airport Express.  If you have a good wireless N network, they work pretty well.  Although I'm using the built-in DACs on mine for other less critical zones, the optical output works OK if you are not using an ESS Sabre DAC, which because of a very narrow jitter aperature, can result in stuttering and dropouts.

The older wireless G Airport Express (A1084) does not have this problem with the ESS Sabre DAC, but again, if you don't have one of the ESS Sabre DACs (I believe you have a TDAC), then I would recommend the newer wireless N (A1264) for greater wireless network stability, persistance of connection and range.

I bought all three of mine on eBay for $50 - $60 each.

Steve

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2011, 03:50 am »
Another option is to pick up a Apple TV, gen1 or 2 (@$99), and use the optical output with your DAC.    It will sound very good, but many will argue it can be better (including me), but no one can argue how simple it is to set up and can be controlled from your computer or if you have an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad it's just even easier.    With any streaming device though, there can be gotchas with the quality with both a wired or wireless network, but with a proper router and cat6 Ethernet cable will eliminate most of the issues.

For desktop/laptop + media player settings, I like to point folks to Benchmark's website (http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) for both USB and optical/coax output. 

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2011, 05:03 am »
Great info guys, thanks  :thumb:

chrisby

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2011, 06:02 pm »
second the suggestion of Aex or ATV2 & optical output for wireless - of course you'll still need a decent DAC ( Aex's is not the best, but what can you expect in that small package?) 

tons to chose from there, either in kit form, or ready to go from as little as $100 to the sky's the limit

for a much higher quality wired gadget, there are numerous ways to go - forgive the doltish question, but does the HRT Musicstreamer work with an PC based iTunes system?

then there's always products such as Edirol UA-25 - more features than you need, but quite a decent value for a USB ADC/DAC & mike pre-amp mixer  and it certainly sounds miles better than the Aex
 there are literally dozens to   

srb

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2011, 06:29 pm »
- of course you'll still need a decent DAC

According to ajzepp's profile, he has a TDAC, which I assume to be the Tube Audio Design TDAC, a TI PCM1793 with analog tube output stage.  Although I haven't heard it, I would also assume it to be a "decent" DAC.

- forgive the doltish question, but does the HRT Musicstreamer work with an PC based iTunes system?

The HRT Musicstreamers are standard USB (driverless) plug and play implementations which will work with PC or MAC.  The choice of player software, whether iTunes or a different player, doesn't matter as far as compatibility.

Steve

chrisby

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2011, 08:13 pm »
thanks Steve - the HRT's are looking more attractive all the time, particularly in respect of the ease of use - living with several Apple devices for a few years now with generally faultless performance, it's so gratifying when a plug 'n play device simply works as advertised.

Wish I could say the same for my Motorola HD/PVR box - one night over the past weekend I had to cycle the power 4 times for it to finally work properly.

If it wasn't for about 50hrs of time shifted movies and TV shows remaining (hard to ever catch up), it and the external SATA drive would have been returned to the local service provider for replacement months ago - but there's apparently no way for them to recover that data once the external drive is disconnected.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 07:28 pm »

According to ajzepp's profile, he has a TDAC, which I assume to be the Tube Audio Design TDAC

Yeppers  :thumb:

By the way, is there any concern over length of the optical cable if I were to grab that Behringer adapter and run a cable from laptop to the TDAC?

Also, it's kinda weird, cause when I go under control panel for Windows, when I look under audio devices it actually lists something called a "SigmaTel Digital Output Device" and then in parentheses it says "(SPDIF Out)". I don't see anything on my computer that resembles an optical output jack, though....weird

srb

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 07:47 pm »
The TOSLINK spec mentions 20 feet as a practical limitation and I am presently using a 25 foot plastic optical cable.  For longer lengths, glass fiber cable has less attenuation, but within those lengths any quality plastic or glass cable will be fine.

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 07:50 pm »
The TOSLINK spec mentions 20 feet as a practical limitation and I am presently using a 25 foot plastic optical cable.  For longer lengths, glass fiber cable has less attenuation, but within those lengths any quality plastic or glass cable will be fine.

Steve

Excellent...I just ordered the Behringer and a 12' optical cable off of Amazon....should be here tomorrow...this will be a nice break from continuing to screw with my Squeezebox Duet...I love that gadget, but it's been nothing but a headache lately and I'm all out of troubleshooting patience lol.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 08:04 pm »
Also, it's kinda weird, cause when I go under control panel for Windows, when I look under audio devices it actually lists something called a "SigmaTel Digital Output Device" and then in parentheses it says "(SPDIF Out)". I don't see anything on my computer that resembles an optical output jack, though....weird

It is possible that your laptop has a combination headphone/optical jack which can accept a mini-TOSLINK connector.

If that's the case you might be able to simply use a Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable, or a Mini-TOSLINLK adapter with a standard cable and not need a USB interface.  If you have the combo jack, you might be able to see a red LED shining through the jack if you peer into it.  You may have to enable SigmaTel Digital Output Device (S/PDIF Out) for it to be active.

What model laptop do you have?

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2011, 08:22 pm »

It is possible that your laptop has a combination headphone/optical jack which can accept a mini-TOSLINK connector.

If that's the case you might be able to simply use a Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable, or a Mini-TOSLINLK adapter with a standard cable and not need a USB interface.  If you have the combo jack, you might be able to see a red LED shining through the jack if you peer into it.  You may have to enable SigmaTel Digital Output Device (S/PDIF Out) for it to be active.

What model laptop do you have?

Steve

Hmmm...the plot thickens lol.

I have a 3.5 year old Dell Inspiron 1525.

Would there be any sonic benefit using the mini-toslink vs the USB? Or still just 0's and 1's?

Really thankful for your help, Steve.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2011, 08:46 pm »
I don't know if it's too late to put the Amazon order on hold .....

I can't say that optical out of that jack would be better or worse than the USB to optical interface - it depends on the individual implementation with each device.

As mentioned, If you did use the headphone/optical jack you would either need a Mini-TOSLINK adapter or a Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable.

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2011, 08:51 pm »
I don't know if it's too late to put the Amazon order on hold .....

I can't say that optical out of that jack would be better or worse than the USB to optical interface - it depends on the individual implementation with each device.

As mentioned, If you did use the headphone/optical jack you would either need a Mini-TOSLINK adapter or a Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable.

Steve

These items are very inexpensive on Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered the mini-toslink-to-toslink cable, as well. That way I can try both configurations and see if I notice any difference, and Amazon also has a very good return policy in case I want to return any of the items. Can't wait to try this out tomorrow!

srb

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2011, 09:07 pm »
You are one quick-draw dude!  Cool.  Yeah, they are 0's and 1's, but the timing of them (jitter) might make one interface sound a little better than the other.

I look forward to your comparison, but take your time.  You won't be able to do a rapid-fire A/B comparison because you will have to select one or the other as the default audio playback device in your Sound > Playback window.

You could also compare the analog outputs of the Behringer DAC to your TDAC, but I strongly suspect the TDAC will (should) win!

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2011, 09:21 pm »
You are one quick-draw dude!  Cool.  Yeah, they are 0's and 1's, but the timing of them (jitter) might make one interface sound a little better than the other.

I look forward to your comparison, but take your time.  You won't be able to do a rapid-fire A/B comparison because you will have to select one or the other as the default audio playback device in your Sound > Playback window.

You could also compare the analog outputs of the Behringer DAC to your TDAC, but I strongly suspect the TDAC will (should) win!

Steve

lol, well in this case the suggestions you are making aren't going to dent the budget at all. I think the total cost of the amazon order was under $50, including next day shipping  :thumb: :thumb:

I love my TDAC, so I'd be REALLY upset if for some reason the Behringer kept the sound in the same league, but I will definitely try all three configurations. It will just be nice to sit back and enjoy the music without futzing around with this Duet anymore. I got many hours of enjoyment out of it, but I'm worn out doing all the troubleshooting lately. It's very convenient for me to just hard wire the laptop for the time being, and if that ever changes I'll just go with the Apple wireless options. I have yet to have a single problem with any Apple product I've purchased. I just wish my iPod had a bit more storage, cause I just hit 148 GB of music files and I like using the iPod as a back-up for my collection. I guess it's time for an external HD lol

I'm off the next two days from work, so I'll chime in tomorrow with some early feedback.  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2011, 07:30 pm »
Gotta love Amazon Prime...place the order yesterday and have items in hand less than 24hr later  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2011, 09:41 pm »
Okay, so far there is good news and a little bad news...

The bad news is that either I can't figure out how to configure the mini-toslink jack, or my computer doesn't have that capability.

The GOOD news is that the Behringer/toslink cable works GREAT. My roomate is sleeping, so I only listened at low levels so far, but from what I can tell it's sounding really nice  :thumb:   I don't want to rely on first impressions too much, but the biggest change I noticed after about an hour of listening was an improvement in the low end. On one of my Diana Krall discs, the bass sounded more articulate and crisp. I will need to listen to more tracks to really discern if there are any differences, but that was what struck me so far.

I sort of freaked myself out, though, cause at first when I set the USB as the default, it wouldn't switch over and just kept using the internal speakers. I clicked on configure and saw a drop down where you could choose "enable" or "disable" the device. I clicked on disable, and all of a sudden the USB output was working perfectly. But when I went back under device manager, all of a sudden the internal speakers weren't on the list! When I clicked on the main hardware list, I could see it listed under the audio devices, but I couldn't figure out how to enable it again. Thankfully once I rebooted it showed up again, but if anyone knows how to prevent the option from disappearing from the list, I'd sure appreciate the feedback. lol

But all in all, a successful change in the way I access my music...I'm really excited! Thanks again all, especially Steve. I'll chime in again later after I've had more time to listen at moderate volumes  :thumb: