Favorite 2a3 Tubes

ebag4

Favorite 2a3 Tubes
« on: 29 May 2011, 07:41 pm »
Hey guys, now that I have built my Bottlehead 2a3 amp I am now in the (what I am sure will be the never ending) hunt for a 2a3 tube that will float my boat the best!  Of course the answer is different for each person and system but I would still like to know which tubes you liked and didn't like.  Lets try to keep this to SET designs, no push-pull, that will keep the power issues on an even playing field.  Amplifier type, driver and speaker sensitivity is a bonus!  Since I am new to SETs and the 2a3 in particular, my amp only has 50 hrs on it and is still breaking in, I dont really have anything to offer, but please let us know what you hear!

Thanks,
Ed

Nels Ferre

Re: Favorite 2a3 Tubes
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2011, 07:55 pm »
Depends on what you want to spend. I have in my preamp, and have been told that the standard Shuguang 2A3C is a very good tube at approximately $130 a pair.

Upmarket from that is the Shuguang Treasure Series 2A3. I have not tried them yet, but plan to.  I've also read RCAs from the '40s are excellent as well.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2011, 09:43 pm »
and have been told that the standard Shuguang 2A3C is a very good tube at approximately $130 a pair.

Upmarket from that is the Shuguang Treasure Series 2A3. I have not tried them yet, but plan to.  I've also read RCAs from the '40s are excellent as well.

Shuguang is very nice for the money, but ultimately one *needs* EML 2A3 solid plates, which has not moved from my Bottlehead ever since.

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2011, 10:55 pm »
The Treasure 2A3 is pretty much the best I have heard, though I haven't really heard a lot of setups that us 2A3s I have heard a couple at RMAF that did and they were best in show IMO. I use the Treasures KT88s for low powered SET and they are by a wide margin the best I have heard. Being that we are using them in similar applications I would say go with the Treasure 2A3s.

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2011, 11:27 pm »
I've been through a few different 2a3s over the years and my fav is the mesh plate Sophia/TJ Full Music. Silky clean highs, good bass and very rich midrange. Lots of texture without being veiled at all.

Drawback?  They are sort of pricey...but they are worth every penny. I won't buy anything else for my 2a3 :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2011, 12:41 am »
I thought I already posted this reply but it didn't show up.

Have any of you that have responded heard the JJ 2a3-40?  If so, how do you think it compared to your recommendation?

Thanks,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2011, 05:49 pm »
Bump for more input!

Only 4 people with opinions on the 2a3??

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2011, 06:03 pm »
I've been through a few different 2a3s over the years and my fav is the mesh plate Sophia/TJ Full Music. Silky clean highs, good bass and very rich midrange. Lots of texture without being veiled at all.

Drawback?  They are sort of pricey...but they are worth every penny. I won't buy anything else for my 2a3 :thumb:

Scott,
Is this the tube you are talking about? 

No mention of TJ is the reason I ask.

Edit:
I found this after a little more googling:

I believe this may be the tube you are referring to, if so they are not too bad as compared to other current production models (the EMLs are out of my price range).  That leaves me here:

Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate- about 100 hrs on it...~$220 matched pair
JJ 2a3-40 new...$220. matched pair
TJ Full Music Mesh Plate new...$229 matched pair

What to do???????

Thanks,
Ed

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 06:48 pm »
Yep, the balloon (globe) style are the ones I use. I've compared the globe to the ST envelope in the 300Bs and the difference is that the ST shape is a little less microphonic....but only a little.

As I understand it, the TJ and the Sophia are identical tubes made in the same factory. Richard at Sophia supposedly buys premium versions that are more closely matched plus he offers a variety of warranty lengths for a premium price. I've bought from Sophia and Brian at DIYHiFiSupply.com and haven't had any issues with either.

Here's an old article I wrote about the mesh plate 2a3.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/tjmeshplates_e.html

...sorry I can't help with the JJs. I've not seen much press or users writing about them either  :scratch:  One of these days (maybe) I'll get a bunch of them in and do a big comparo for ETM. Might be a fun little article :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 07:11 pm »
Thanks for the info and the link Scott, much appreciated.  I think a comparison of 2a3s is a great idea, looking around the web I don't find much in the way of good comparisons with common equipment.

FYI, Srajan did a review of the JJ 2a3-40 here:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jj2a3/40.html

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 07:14 pm »
A little old but...

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1133570960

12-03-05: Reubent
As S23chang said, it is probably going to depend on your amp. I've had 3 different 2A3s in my Paramours. The stock valveArts were OK, the Sovteks were better across the board and the mesh plate TJ Full Music 300B/2.5V(drop in replacement for a 2A3) was easily the best in my setup. The TJ had more of everything and was worth the price for me. However, the price is about 3X the price of a pair of Sovteks, so a "value decision" would have to be made....

ebag4

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 07:52 pm »
Thanks Jason, I had actually read that one.  Of course like everything audio (maybe everything in general) the more you search the more confusing it gets, everyone has an opinion.  But still, it is good to hear from those on this board with whom you have corresponded over the years.

Best,
Ed

chrisby

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 09:36 pm »
Well if it's reasonable to extrapolate from the impressions I've had with Shuguang Treasure 6CA7 and Psvanne EL84 & 12AT7s in quite different amps ( SE triode connected, and P/P pentode respectively),  I'd certainly take a chance on the Treasure 2A3s as an upgrade from EH Gold Grids in my Bottlehead Paramours. 

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2011, 09:04 pm »
Would EML photo help?  :wink:

IMG_1372 by drjlo2, on Flickr

ebag4

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2011, 09:06 pm »
Would EML photo help?  :wink:

Thanks Jon, much appreciated.  I am afraid your favorite is a little (by about double) out of my price range.  That is unless you know where I can get a pair for about $250.

Best,
Ed

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm »
Hey guys, now that I have built my Bottlehead 2a3 amp I am now in the (what I am sure will be the never ending) hunt for a 2a3 tube that will float my boat the best!  Of course the answer is different for each person and system but I would still like to know which tubes you liked and didn't like.

Thanks,
Ed

Hey Ed,
My $0.02; I've had numerous 2A3 SET amps as well as a few push-pull designs since 1998; I've also amassed a large collection of 2A3's over these years, many I kept, others sold...

My favorite is vintage Sylvania 2A3's with coil spring filament tops (mine have engraved bases but screened on logos sound great too). To me they appear to me to have a very accurate, musical & balanced sound. Great sounding mids that have depth as well as with sweet highs, liquid & extended without a hint of sibilance. The bass is tight & well defined. My standard.

Tried several of the newer varieties, Sophia with mesh plates, KR's & Electro-Harmonix. They weren't bad but didn't have the musicality of some of the original vintage 2A3 triodes. RCA black & grey plates are very good... can't go wrong with vintage RCA 2A3's...

The Sophia mesh plates sounded colored & "mushy" to me. Extremely romantic sounding (ie- colored rich) with a somewhat flabby bass. The KR's were the opposite, very tight & authorative bass, mids & highs forward sounding & hi-fi'ish... the Electro Harmonix sounded pretty good, a great budget tube IMHO, for the money... (FYI, I kept the EH & sold the newer varieties).

Once again, this is my $0.02 based upon my observations; YMMV.

Cheers,
Pete

ebag4

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm »
Pete,
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Best,
Ed

Angaria

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm »
Have to say, between the EH, Sovtek and JJ 2a3's, comparing over several amps, the JJ were a major improvement - to the point that I had been considering selling off the amps before I tried them, and now it's 2a3 all the way.

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2011, 12:16 am »
Have to say, between the EH, Sovtek and JJ 2a3's, comparing over several amps, the JJ were a major improvement - to the point that I had been considering selling off the amps before I tried them, and now it's 2a3 all the way.

Good to hear Angaria, I have a pair of the JJ 2a3-40s on the way.  Thanks for your input.

Best,
Ed

Angaria

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2011, 06:51 am »
Sure thing -will be interested in your results as well.