Favorite 2a3 Tubes

sebrof

Re: Favorite 2a3 Tubes
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jun 2011, 12:53 am »
Good to hear Angaria, I have a pair of the JJ 2a3-40s on the way.  Thanks for your input.

Best,
Ed

If you would post your impressions about the JJ 2A3-40s I and I'm sure others would appreciate it.
I've used Sovteks, Shuguang 2A3Cs, and Old Stock Sylvanias. Depending on the system I like either the Shuguangs or the Sylvanias, but all in all not a drastic difference between all 3 pairs, they all sound pretty darn good.
This is in a DIY Radiotron (6C6 drivers) amp.

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2011, 03:07 am »
If you would post your impressions about the JJ 2A3-40s I and I'm sure others would appreciate it.
I've used Sovteks, Shuguang 2A3Cs, and Old Stock Sylvanias. Depending on the system I like either the Shuguangs or the Sylvanias, but all in all not a drastic difference between all 3 pairs, they all sound pretty darn good.
This is in a DIY Radiotron (6C6 drivers) amp.

Hi Sebrof,
I now have about 8 hrs on the JJ 2a3-40s.  As soon as I first fired them up it was obvious that they had much better clarity and extentsion in the high frequencies.   They have better detail, I hear more individual sounds in the music.  It is much too early to know where they will end up but they have easily met my expectations already.  Can't wait to hear them with 100+ hours on them.  More as I put additional hours on them.

Best,
Ed

sebrof

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:55 am »
Hi Sebrof,
I now have about 8 hrs on the JJ 2a3-40s.  As soon as I first fired them up it was obvious that they had much better clarity and extentsion in the high frequencies.   They have better detail, I hear more individual sounds in the music.  It is much too early to know where they will end up but they have easily met my expectations already.  Can't wait to hear them with 100+ hours on them.  More as I put additional hours on them.
Best,
Ed

Well, you just cost me $250. Thanks for that. :D
Seriously, I've read good things about them, and your comments just confirm what others have said. I've been looking for an opportunity to get a pair of these so I'm sure I'll order soon.
Thanks for following up.

ebag4

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm »
Seriously, I've read good things about them, and your comments just confirm what others have said. I've been looking for an opportunity to get a pair of these so I'm sure I'll order soon.
Thanks for following up.

You are welcome, glad I could help! :lol:

I can only compare them to the Sovteks but I can tell you they are much better than the Sovteks with less than 10 hrs on them in my system.

BTW, I bought mine at Eurotubes for $220. plus shipping (very fast shipping, ordered Friday received Monday).

Best,
Ed

jameshuls

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2011, 07:08 pm »
I have used 3 different sets of 2a3s in my Melody H2AS Push Pull Integrated.

Initially I used the stock Sovteks - I traded these in fairly quickly for some Shuguang 2A3Cs. These tubes were smoother, airier and more refined than the Sovteks. The Shuguangs always seemed to be a little lacking in dynamics however. This was confirmed recently when I purchased a quad of the JJ-2A3-40s. At low volume listening the music is much more dynamic and the overall sound is now more engaging, rhythmic and forward. The Shuguangs were a little more romantic bloomy and classic tubey sounding which could be very nice with the right music - pot puffing trip hop or smokey nina simone for example. Overall, I prefer the sound of the JJs however. One caveat though; There seemed to be a very long break-in period - there was a fatiguing high-frequency glare/hardness that lasted for several months (probably 300+ hours) after installing these tubes. It is gone now and has been replaced with a very extended clear and balanced sound. I feel their extra cost over the Shuguangs is justifiable based on their performance and VERY robust build. As a bonus, these tubes are said to have at least double the lifespan of more generic 2A3s.

sebrof

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jun 2011, 03:23 am »
I have used 3 different sets of 2a3s in my Melody H2AS Push Pull Integrated.

Initially I used the stock Sovteks - I traded these in fairly quickly for some Shuguang 2A3Cs. These tubes were smoother, airier and more refined than the Sovteks. The Shuguangs always seemed to be a little lacking in dynamics however. . .

My impressions Sovtek vs. Shuguang 2A3C mirror yours. The 2A3Cs do sound excellent with the right music and better overall, but sometimes when I play rock I'll drop the Sovteks in for a little added punch.

ESaudio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 9 Jun 2011, 04:15 am »
My impressions Sovtek vs. Shuguang 2A3C mirror yours. The 2A3Cs do sound excellent with the right music and better overall, but sometimes when I play rock I'll drop the Sovteks in for a little added punch.

I luv the Shuguang 2A3Cs:

sebrof

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:18 pm »
Thanks for following up.

I received my pair of JJ 2A3-40s yesterday from Eurotubes.com. Quick shipment, the lowest price I could find ($US234 shipped), and good communication. Seems like a solid outfit.
After having them turned on for 17 hours I do not prefer them to my well broken in pair of Shuguang 2A3Cs. The JJs are a bit too forward, a little grainy on top. I do hear more detail, and the music is more "solid" as if the amp has more balls. But the 2A3Cs are so smooth and easy to listen to, they are anything but harsh.
I expect that after some hours on the JJs they'll retain the improved detail but smooth out. Every tube that I have ever bought new changed for the better with some time (usually about 50 hours), so we'll see about these. I have high hopes.

Frihed91

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2011, 11:27 am »
The AVVT is both hard to find and highly regarded.  I have an unused pair and, as of yet, no amp to play them in.  I am waiting for a pair of Fi monos.

jameshuls

« Reply #29 on: 4 Aug 2011, 04:55 am »
I think the Shuguang 2A3Cs are very nice sounding tubes! The JJs just have a lot more going on. I can see how some might not like them (JJs) though, since they will reveal different things upstream. It's funny, the JJ's made my 8 year old yamaha cd changer (i am mostly a vinyl man) sound a lot better than the Shuguangs did -  it was like their (the JJ tubes and CD player) strengths, which seemed to be macrodynamics, soundstage and presence worked together - synergy. OTOH, when I had to revert to a 30 year old entry level Grado MM cartridge from a Dynavector Karat 17D3 (broken - long story) the JJ's seem to really highlight how crappy this cartridge is. Perhaps the Shuguangs more luscious sound worked well with the rolled-off muddy sound of the Grado but didn't highlight the strengths of the yamaha cd player?

sebrof

« Reply #30 on: 4 Aug 2011, 11:54 am »
I received my pair of JJ 2A3-40s yesterday from Eurotubes.com. Quick shipment, the lowest price I could find ($US234 shipped), and good communication. Seems like a solid outfit.
After having them turned on for 17 hours I do not prefer them to my well broken in pair of Shuguang 2A3Cs. The JJs are a bit too forward, a little grainy on top. I do hear more detail, and the music is more "solid" as if the amp has more balls. But the 2A3Cs are so smooth and easy to listen to, they are anything but harsh.
I expect that after some hours on the JJs they'll retain the improved detail but smooth out. Every tube that I have ever bought new changed for the better with some time (usually about 50 hours), so we'll see about these. I have high hopes.

After a few more hours with the JJs from when I posted previously (this update is a little late), the JJs settled in nicely. After a week or so of playing the JJs I dropped the 2A3Cs back in and found them to be a bit lacking in detail, and the grain I heard from the JJs is gone. The JJs are about as smooth as the Shuguangs but the JJs sound much cleaner.
Both good sounding tubes, if you have $100 to spend then the Shuguangs are a great buy. But the JJs are considerably better in my system. I agree with James about the synergy thing as well. In another system I may have a different opinion.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2011, 07:46 pm »
My Dared came with Shuguang tubes and the owner's manual says that while other 2a3's will work fine they are voiced to Shuguang 2a3c. Can that be?

sebrof

« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2011, 09:54 pm »
My Dared came with Shuguang tubes and the owner's manual says that while other 2a3's will work fine they are voiced to Shuguang 2a3c. Can that be?

Only one way to find out. Roll some other tubes in it :lol:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2011, 02:46 pm »
My friend just acquired the Bottlehead Paramours which came with the Valve Art 2a3. I removed the Shuguangs from my Dared and tried them in his Paramours and the improvement was significant. Now he wants to upgrade but can't decide between the JJ's and the cheaper Shuguangs. Is the juice worth the squeezing?

adamaley

« Reply #34 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:40 am »
I have the need to revive this thread. Any more impressions on 2A3s? I have a DNA Stratus headphone amp and have the EML 2A3 Mesh Plates and they are slightly too clinical in the high registers for my liking, however, I love their details. Anyone here have any experience with the Solid Plate version, advice on other 2A3 tubes?

borism

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:21 am »
I am currently using a pair of EML 2A3 S in a Bottlehead Stereomour and love them. They are detailed but not clinical and have nicely extended highs and bass. I find them to be very balanced and natural sounding.
My first tube set were Sovteks followed by JJ 2A3s. The JJs were a significant improvement but I was not lucky and I had a tube fail three times. Twice was under warranty and the tube was replaced by Eurotubes. The third time was past the warranty. That's when I got the EMLs. Almost 6 months of daily use since and no issues.
Another pair of tubes that I acquired recently are NOS Ken-Rad. They have a beautiful tone, good bass but are not as detailed and extended on top as the EMLs.
So, overall, in my Stereomour I like the EML solid plates the best.

arthurs

« Reply #36 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:51 am »
Second the exact perspective on the EML solid plates, same experience as borism

adamaley

« Reply #37 on: 6 Mar 2016, 06:38 am »
Don't the EMLs just look sexy as hell? Pity I have to let the EML meshes go. I think the solid plate version will be more suited for my setup. Problem is I'm currently testing out some RCA 2A3 single plates, and the juice sure dost flow through these guys. Very beguiling, but maybe slightly missing the final lower octave the EML solids may be able to give me. I may have to hold off on the EML solids for now though.

Sad to see these guys go

jameshuls

« Reply #38 on: 8 Mar 2016, 11:17 pm »
looks like most of you are using single ended amps but has anybody tried mixing brands in a push pull amp? I'm kinda curious to try...

Fourlegsgood

« Reply #39 on: 1 Apr 2016, 12:47 pm »
looks like most of you are using single ended amps but has anybody tried mixing brands in a push pull amp? I'm kinda curious to try...

I wanted to achieve a sound that had some of each the characteristics of two types of tube so I tried running two of one type and two of another type in each of my push pull monoblocs. I seem to remember that it worked. Then I found another tube type that I liked better and used that instead throughout.