Talkin BLUES here, jez cain't help myself . .

jimdgoulding

Talkin BLUES here, jez cain't help myself . .
« on: 28 May 2011, 03:42 am »
Haven't seen a thread bout this kind of music in my days on Audio Circle, so I thought I would start one: 

Now, you know, lots of blues players have recorded extensively.  Well, here's one who hasn't and deserves to be heard (he's not alone) cause he has it ALL goin' on (songwriter, player, singer)- The Jimmy Johnson Blues Band.  Thank you Lord, he can be heard on a compilation record (maybe disc), Living Chicago Blues on the Alligator label, Volume 1.  He may even have solo recordings available, dunno.  You gotta hear this anyway!!  Get a load of Feel Like Breakin Up Somebody's Home.  Somebody else love the blues?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Talkin BLUES here, jez cain't help myself . .
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2011, 03:57 am »
 I loves me some blues, Jim ! Just checked on Amazon- still lots of Jimmy's work available for you to enjoy.

D.D.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2011, 04:14 am »
Dog, I know that's right!  Thanks for the tip.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2011, 02:53 pm »
Good find Jim.
Alligator Records has some great artists indeed. Last good Blues artist from them I "found" was Dave Hole. Looks for "Short Fuse Blues".

Would be great to have an "Alligator Records XM channel".  :thumb:

Bob

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2011, 03:43 pm »
I love the blues as well. Just saw Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials a few weeks ago in ATL. Great show. Terrific slide guitar player. On top of my wish list is J.B. Hutto now that I saw Lil' Ed. I believe J.B. was Lil' Ed's uncle and taught him how to play slide.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2011, 03:13 am »
A couple Son Seals albums over the last week or so.  Saw him live once at Tramp's in downtown NY years back with a horn section.  Talk about a bonus and the sound in that club was some of the best I've heard anywhere.  A customer who happens to live nearby told me the club is long gone.  Pity.  Tuning up some Albert Collins . .

Diamond Dog

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2011, 03:27 am »
Unfortunately, Son Seals is also long gone - he lived a life that was the blues : Shot in the face by his wife, lost his house in a fire and his leg to diabetes ( which eventually took his life as well ). I own a few Son Seals albums and like Albert King, Son had a tendency to play the same highly recognizable lick a little too often - mind you it was one hell of a lick. You could turn that into a drinking game - have a shot very time you hear that same lick during one of Son's albums. By the time you got through all of Bad Axe, you'd be so loaded that you wouldn't be able to get up and change the CD... :D

D.D.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2011, 04:09 am »
I know just the lick you're talking about.

mjosef

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2011, 04:16 am »
Yow Jimbro...reading the post title brought this Bob Marley tune to mind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DmI6MAoltQ
Talkin blues...they say my feet is too big for my shoes... :lol:
Reggae blues my friend... :lol:

dokblues

• Stereo "the Other Addiction"
Re: Talking BLUES here, jeez cain't help myself . .
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2011, 04:18 am »
If you like some of the old stuff there is of course Robert Johnson. As far as newer stuff try Blind Pig records and you might want to try Robben Ford "Discovering the Bues" is a Great one as well as some Ronnie Earle and the Broadcasters "Live in Europe" . On Blind Pig if you like Great guitar work look up Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers. If you like a little off the beaten path so to speak try Joey DeFrancesco & Danny Gatton " Relentless" Great album.
Oh Ya and I can`t forget my buddy Duke Robillard.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2011, 05:37 am by dokblues »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2011, 04:32 am »
I've seen Duke live two times with Roomful of Blues and have at least one of their albums.  The first place I saw them, an old VFW hall, you could dance.  And just about everybody was.  Great stuff.  Thanks for the recs.

dokblues

• Stereo "the Other Addiction"
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2011, 05:38 am »
Ever get around to checking any of those out? PLenty more if you need them.  :green:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:50 am »
I like Albert Collins a lot.  That tension he gets from choking off his strings at half mast on his fret board.  Howling Wolf's Smokestack Lighting will forever pluck my heartstrings.  That voice of his . . oh my.

geowak

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:02 am »
BY FAR. My fav blues artist is JOHN LEE HOOKER

"My Dream"
" I Cover the Waterfront"

Also his collaboration with VAN MORRISON (my second fav blues artist)

rockadanny

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:17 am »
Diamond Dog - Cool idea for a game!  :lol:
I've got "Live and Burning" (my fav), "Bad Axe", and "Living in the Danger Zone". I'll give it a go and see how far I can get through them.  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2011, 04:34 pm »
BY FAR. My fav blues artist is JOHN LEE HOOKER

Also his collaboration with VAN MORRISON (my second fav blues artist)

:thumb: Amen Brother, amen.

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:29 pm »
Hope I'm not out of line with Greg Brown.  Just recently discovered him and is a great artist to audition speakers with.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2011, 12:36 am »
She's Back!- Willie Mae Big Momma Thorton (Backbeat Records).

Been tootin this white girl fellow Texan's charms for awhile now . . Deja Blue- Angela Strehli (HOB in HDCD).  Get a load of the title tune and the guitar break by Mike Schermer and It's too Late written by Tarheel Slim and Little Ann.  A duet with Doug Sham.

dflee

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:18 am »
Hey Jim
That VFW turned small nite club wasn't in Warwick, RI was it? Saw Duke at this place a couple of times while I lived just down the road. I love many blues players and have seem quite a few here in NC. and am having a ball with the great variety there are out there.

Later
Don

Diamond Dog

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:26 am »
For something a little more uptown, hows about Mr. Joe Louis Walker? Those albums he did on the Gitanes label are some fine...

D.D.