Talkin BLUES here, jez cain't help myself . .

Leadfeathers

Re: Talkin BLUES here, jez cain't help myself . .
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2011, 06:25 am »
Been a blues dog myself for lotsa years.....where does one begin to mention just a few?  Here's a couple I never heard of that I discovered, probably from a track played on Sirius Blues channel:
Karen Lovely - terrific voice, sweet band, good songs;
Cyndi Lauper - yes, that one. Her "Memphis Blues" album from last year is a lot of fun; BB King sits in, as does Charlie Musselwhite on a couple, and others
William Clark - Terrific harp player with a grand voice.  A big man who died young around '99 cause he just wasn't taking care of himself.  I think he'd of been a bigger blues force had he lived, was just hitting stride when he passed;
Ronnie Earl and his various Broadcasters bands are terrific especially for slower blues; Kim Wilson has played some chromatic harp on a few tracks that I have to go back to for a listen every once in awhile, specifically "Double Trouble"
Just recently got a CD of BB's that featured a 14 minute blues jam with Dave Brubeck that is just killer; don't often hear a trombone or clarinet solo on a blues song.
And we could go on and on, couldn't we?   Loves them blues....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jun 2011, 07:54 am »
Hey Jim
That VFW turned small nite club wasn't in Warwick, RI was it? Saw Duke at this place a couple of times while I lived just down the road. I love many blues players and have seem quite a few here in NC. and am having a ball with the great variety there are out there.

Later
Don
No, Don, it was in fabulous Fort Worth, Tx. which used to have quite an audience for some blues.

soundbitten1

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2011, 11:34 am »
Anybody into Johnny Winter? What a great slide player!

rockadanny

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:20 pm »
Me! :guitar:
My fave are hist first two, "Johnny Winter", and "Second Winter", and also , "Guitar Slinger".
I saw him and his bro live many times back in the early 70's. He used to put on quite impressive shows. Really rockin' burnin' blues.  :thumb:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:58 pm »
No serious blues collection should be missing these stone classics.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:50 am »
Willie Dixon . . my, my.  That man was one prolific writer of fine tunes.  He's penned a bunch.  Most everybody has heard Spoonful played by, well, many artists.   

wharfrat

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm »
Has anyone heard these three releases?

Jimmy Rogers- "Chicago Bound." This is Muddy Waters band from the early 1950s. Little Walter and Big Walter Horton on harmonicas, Otis Spann on piano, Fred Below on drums, Muddy on guitar, and Willie Dixon on bass.

Mississippi Fred McDowell- "I Don't Play No Rock and Roll." 

Government Mule- "Mulennium."  A live 3 set CD with Little Milton.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09 pm »
Government Mule- "Mulennium."  A live 3 set CD with Little Milton.
Also know as; "Gov't Mule".
I have several of their albums, but not the one you mention. If it's as good as the rest........well then...... 8)

Bob

soundbitten1

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:12 pm »
I have several of their albums, but not the one you mention. If it's as good as the rest........well then...... 8)

Bob

That might be their best, at least one of the tops.

soundbitten1

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2011, 01:16 pm »
My fave are hist first two, "Johnny Winter", and "Second Winter", and also , "Guitar Slinger".
I saw him and his bro live many times back in the early 70's. He used to put on quite impressive shows. Really rockin' burnin' blues.  :thumb:

I've got his first, the 2 disc Rock & Roll Collection and Live @ Woodstock. Need to get some of the others.

jackman

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:07 pm »
Great thread!  There are few things in life I love more than the Blues!  Lots of great suggestions and I'd like to add a couple more.

Bb King Live at Cook County Jail. This recording is BB a his best. For me, Blues doesn't get any better than Mr. King and his playing and singing on this one are inspired.

Mike Bloomfield - the work he did with Paul Butterfield (one of the best Blues harp players to ever live) was awesome. Mike was a student of the Blues and his instructional album If you like these blues" is great for anyone interested in an education in the blues.

I'm a big fan of blues harp players and love Little Walter, Paul Butterfield and Howling Wolf. There are tons of harp players but very few greats.

wharfrat

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jun 2011, 03:38 pm »
I've got his first, the 2 disc Rock & Roll Collection and Live @ Woodstock. Need to get some of the others.

His second release, Second Winter is really good.  It's less blues than harder rock, and the remastered release sounds WAY better than the original.

wharfrat

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jun 2011, 03:39 pm »

Bob

Thanks for bringing to my attention.  After listening to the 3 CDs I've got to say Warren Haynes is amazing!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:54 pm »

I really like the 3 he did on the Alligator label I have them on CD & LP  :thumb:

One of my alltime favorite blues albums is Jimmy Dawkins Fast Fingers

PRELUDE

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jun 2011, 06:00 pm »
Takin blues,here are some of my favorite. :thumb: