Are Salk speakers right for me?....I'm thinking SoundScapes

MarkP

Hi everyone,  I'm on a quest for new speakers.  My current speakers are PSB Sync. Ones which I really like a lot!  I'm just wanting to go to that"next level".
    My main listening room is 20'x26' with ceiling height of 12-14 ft. The back half of the room opens into the kitchen and the right side opens into the hallway to the front door.
    My other gear is as follows; McIntosh MC501's,Pass XP10 pre.,Cambridge 840c,VPI Classic,Soundsmith Zeypher cartridge,OPPO BD 95.
    I listen to classic rock,some new rock-pop,blues and a little jazz. With all this in mind I'm wondering if Salk speakers are something that I need to hear?
    I like to listen at pretty loud levels at times and I can't stand to listen to "bright" speakers.
I'm looking for a VERY natural sound, cymbals that sound like cymbals,pure vocals,a speaker that doesn't "muddy up' when there is a lot going on at the same time.
    So far I've auditioned Wilson Sophia, VSA VR4sr mk.3,Acoustic Zen Crescendo.  Of the three, I liked the VSA's the best, they played all types of music well.  The Crescendos were fantastic with jazz,but sadly, did not like rock. The Wilsons were good but did not disappear the   way I would have liked.
Anyway, I was curious about the SS's and wanted your feed back.
Thanks,
Mark

Saturn94

Re: Are Salk speakers right for me?....I'm thinking SoundScapes
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2011, 11:33 pm »
........ I like to listen at pretty loud levels at times and I can't stand to listen to "bright" speakers.
I'm looking for a VERY natural sound, cymbals that sound like cymbals,pure vocals,a speaker that doesn't "muddy up' when there is a lot going on at the same time.......

You should definitely hear the SoundScapes as this describes their sound very well.

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2011, 11:48 pm »
You should definitely hear the SoundScapes as this describes their sound very well.

I concur.  The SoundScapes are in my top five speakers of all time, and when I factor in price range they take the #1 spot.  The only speakers I liked better cost more than double the price (triple, in the case of the Vandersteen Model 7's).  I'll probably never be able to afford the SoundScapes, but they'll remain my "dream speaker."  I hope you get an opportunity to hear a pair.  There are a few owners out there, so please post your location information and maybe you'll find that one of the owners lives near you.

Best wishes to you in your search!

P.S.  Your audio system rocks!  You have great taste. :thumb:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2011, 02:18 am »
If it helps at all, I was considering Thiel CS3.7s, VSA VR5 Anniversaries, and SoundScape 10s.  I bought the SoundScapes and couldn't be happier.

funkmonkey

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2011, 04:06 am »
Mark-
If you are spending that kind of money, you should try to hear them first.  Contact Jim and see if he can help you set up an audition for you.  I liked the Synchrony 2B's that I heard a while back (haven't heard the One's), very neutral sound, did everything pretty well (except in depth as they were a stand-mount)...  but I felt they were a little un-involving for my taste.  All of the Salks that I have heard (including the SoundScapes) upped the mid-range clarity, added some air to the top end, and tightened up the mid bass.  I also liked the Acoustic Zen Adagios quite a bit, especially for jazz, but I wasn't in love with the tweeters, and I think they are the same as in the Crescendos... 

The Soundscapes do everything great, and that disappearing act you mentioned is what they were designed for.  Very natural presentation.  You should certainly put them on your short list.
-Greg

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2011, 05:11 am »

Something I greatly admire with the Salk community is their openness and willingness to share their homes as audition venues. There's a thread in the Salk circle where owners volunteer. I'm an SR MkIII owner but I have never heard any Salk speaker since I live in the Far East. I am familiar with some of the parts of the Soundscape though and on paper I can't see how given the parts list and the reputation of the designers how it can't be a really good loudspeaker. I expect that it is every bit as good as their owners report. Tastes can differ greatly however so I agree with funkmonkey and suggest you go for an audition.You just might have a Soundscape owner in your vicinity.

Happy hunting!  :thumb:

StevensSound

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2011, 07:07 am »
Have to agree with everyone- audition the Salks.  Sounds like you've heard most of the others. 
While you're out auditioning, be sure to seek out the latest in the Legacy Audio line as well.

MichiganMike

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2011, 01:10 pm »
I own SoundScape 10 speakers and drive them with McIntosh MC501 amps in combination with a McIntosh C48 preamp and Classe CDP-10.  My listening room where the SoundScapes are located is a large room similar in size to yours with vaulted ceilings and adjacent large open rooms.  I have been very pleased with the performance of the SoundScapes with all kinds of music, including rock, pop and jazz.  The MC501 is a great match and will drive the SoundScapes to very loud levels without strain, if desired.  The clarity of the SoundScapes and resolution on voices, cymbals, piano, etc. is exceptional and natural in my opinion. 

I have Von Schweikert 4JR speakers in my home theater system with Parasound Halo A21 and A51 amps and an OPPO BDP95.  While the VR 4JR are a couple steps down from the VSA 4SR MK3, there is some similarity in sound which I find appealing.  I selected the SoundScapes over competing VSA speakers.  I agree the SoundScapes should be on your short list to audition given your stated preferences and criteria.

I am willing to provide an audition, if convenient.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2011, 01:38 pm »
Since you ask here, I will tell you, yes.  It's right for you.  Just make out the check to Salk Audio and you won't regret it.  8)

If you ask me somewhere else, I will say go listen before buying anything whether it's $10K, $1K or $100.

P.S.  SS will rock.  Your room sounds like it can handle the bass but you can't know for sure until you try.

MarkP

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2011, 06:58 pm »
Wow, Thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond!!  I agree that I will have to hear the SS's.  I live in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area.  I don't know if there are any SS owners in the area.  I will go see Jim if that's what it takes.  I'm in no rush to buy right now,I want to make sure I get the right speaker,"for me".   I've never heard any Salk speakers,so that was why I posted, I wanted for owners and anyone else who has experience with the Salk brand, to try and describe the "Salk sound'.  Knowing that I like my PSB's and also the VSA's will hopefully tell you what I'm looking for in sound quality.
The PSB's are a great speaker,but they are not without fault.  What I'm looking for in my next speaker is better treble,I think that the titanium tweeters can be a little harsh sounding,on occasion,to my ears.  Also, the mids can sound a little dark, especially on vocals.
  I guess I'm looking for a sound that is,again,"very natural" and not harsh or brittle in any way.
The only comments that I've read that have me a little concerned about Salk is that they are very revealing, sometimes that can mean bright,I hope that's not the case with Salk.
Again,Thanks   

funkmonkey

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2011, 12:41 am »
Every Salk speaker that I have heard is "revealing" in the sense that the recording quality is evident, and subtleties become apparent.  I would never call the Salks "bright."

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2011, 12:48 am »
........The only comments that I've read that have me a little concerned about Salk is that they are very revealing, sometimes that can mean bright,I hope that's not the case with Salk.
Again,Thanks

While the RAAL tweeter as used in Salk speakers is certainly revealing, it is very neutral/natural and not at all "bright" sounding.  It excels in "getting out of the way".  If nothing else, I think you will be impressed with this tweeter (I am!).

cujobob

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2011, 02:41 am »
I do not own Salk speakers but I would certainly recommend that you hear the Soundscapes as they were quite good at AKfest and definitely not bright.

fsimms

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2011, 03:02 am »
As Saturn says, your requirements describe the SoundScapes perfectly with the following addition.  The SounScapes also image and soundstage better than any cone speaker that I have heard.

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2011, 04:15 am »
  I guess I'm looking for a sound that is,again,"very natural" and not harsh or brittle in any way.
The only comments that I've read that have me a little concerned about Salk is that they are very revealing, sometimes that can mean bright,I hope that's not the case with Salk.
Again,Thanks

Mark,

"Very natural" perfectly describes the SS's.  We had the SS12's here at our GNW GTG two years ago, along with perhaps a dozen different tower models.  Fault could be found with all of them, regardless of price or manufacturer,...except for the SS's.  They were the first speakers of any kind, ever, that I found REALLY did disappear.  The RAAL tweeters would never be described as bright, or brittle, or harsh in any way...especially with the SS implementation.  And I am very sensitive to speaker harshness, which is why I am an Aerial Acoustics owner (but wish I could afford a pair of SS's).

With the kind of money you're considering spending, an audition is almost required...for your own peace of mind on the investment.  But I can't imagine that you will find a superior loudspeaker when it comes to natural, easy, and accurate presentation.  Let me say this...if you're going to upgrade, you would do yourself a huge disservice to spend that kind of money and not audition the SS's!  They are as good as everyone says.

Good luck with your journey.

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2011, 12:40 pm »
Wow, Thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond!!  I agree that I will have to hear the SS's.  I live in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area.  I don't know if there are any SS owners in the area.  I will go see Jim if that's what it takes.  I'm in no rush to buy right now,I want to make sure I get the right speaker,"for me".   I've never heard any Salk speakers,so that was why I posted, I wanted for owners and anyone else who has experience with the Salk brand, to try and describe the "Salk sound'.  Knowing that I like my PSB's and also the VSA's will hopefully tell you what I'm looking for in sound quality.
The PSB's are a great speaker,but they are not without fault.  What I'm looking for in my next speaker is better treble,I think that the titanium tweeters can be a little harsh sounding,on occasion,to my ears.  Also, the mids can sound a little dark, especially on vocals.
Again,Thanks   

Revealing does not mean bright; bright means bright. :)  Salk speakers aren't bright in the least, as bright would generally coincidence with a tipped up high frequency range, or a suckout in the midrange, thus giving the illusion of a "bright" treble.  No Salk speaker has this issue, for what it's worth.  As stated already, the word I would use is "revealing."  The SoundScapes simply disappear, allowing the music to flow instead of sounding like speakers trying to reproduce music.  And the RAAL tweeter is ultra transparent, but it's smooth as silk, never missing a detail while providing that "stairway to Heaven" effect.

Definitely, definitely, definitely audition a pair if you can, or as mentioned, pay Jim a visit.  He's one of the coolest guys in the business, and he'll do what it takes to ensure you've found your dream speaker. 

Happy hunting!

fsimms

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2011, 01:35 pm »
At this price level auditioning a pair is very important.  The cost of the trip is minimal to the price of the speaker.  Also, the trip would be a lot of fun.

Bob

MarkP

« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2011, 06:57 pm »
Thanks again to everybody for the information,nice comments,and the offer for the audition Mike!!
I wouldn't ever think of buying speakers without hearing them first.  So I guess the next thing to do is call and talk to Jim about setting up some kind of an audition.
You guys should get some kind of kickback from Jim,because you sure convinced me to give his speakers a listen!
Thanks

MarkP

« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2011, 08:07 pm »
Hey Bob,  If you get a chance,try and listen to the Soundsmith Zephyer cartridge. It was designed for VPI unipivot arms.  It's very good.

CC

« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2011, 09:36 pm »
Mark,

I live in McKinney and have a pair of Soundsacape 10,s, you are welcome to give them a listen. My associated equipment is listed in my profile.

Regards

Chris