Are Salk speakers right for me?....I'm thinking SoundScapes

fsimms

Re: Are Salk speakers right for me?....I'm thinking SoundScapes
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2011, 02:36 pm »
Hey Bob,  If you get a chance,try and listen to the Soundsmith Zephyer cartridge. It was designed for VPI unipivot arms.  It's very good.

Thanks Mark.  I will look for it next time I am at a show or store.

Bob

MarkP

« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2011, 06:47 pm »
Chris, I'd love the chance to hear your SS 10's. I sent you a PM.  You're very nice to offer.
Thanks

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2011, 03:09 am »
Thanks again to everybody for the information,nice comments,and the offer for the audition Mike!!
I wouldn't ever think of buying speakers without hearing them first.  So I guess the next thing to do is call and talk to Jim about setting up some kind of an audition.
You guys should get some kind of kickback from Jim,because you sure convinced me to give his speakers a listen!
Thanks

We don't want kickback; we just want potential customers to find a speaker that makes them as happy as we are with our Salk's.  Jim and his products are tops, they really are, and I feel it necessary to ensure people know this.  They don't have to agree with me, of course, but hopefully they fall in love, just like we did.

I really hope you love them!

MarkP

« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2011, 08:31 pm »
Well, Chris has contacted me and it looks like I'm going to be able to hear his SS 10's .
I'm really excited, I sure hope these speakers like rock music, 'cause that's what I'm going to feed them :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2011, 01:15 am »
Hi,

I agree with Nuance's comments.  If you do your research on the internet you will find it difficult to find speakers that have as much value and quality as Jim does. 

Do some research but definitely take the opportunity to listen to a pair of soundscapes if you can.  Laying down $10 000 is a lot of money without taking the opportunity to listen to them.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Rod

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2011, 12:49 pm »
Well, Chris has contacted me and it looks like I'm going to be able to hear his SS 10's .
I'm really excited, I sure hope these speakers like rock music, 'cause that's what I'm going to feed them :thumb:

Awesome - keep us posted.

MichiganMike

« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2011, 01:01 pm »

There is no substitute for hearing speakers.  One thing to keep in mind when auditioning the SoundScapes is these speakers like few others may disappear leaving only the music.  If you are accustomed to listening to speakers that emphasize part of the music, this may take some time to appreciate.

As Jim Salk stated in an interview:
I had a friend over one night to hear the SoundScapes. Before I fired the system up, I said, “You know that tomorrow people will ask you for a report.”

“Yeah…so…,” he said.

To which I replied, “Well, the problem is you will be hard pressed to explain it to them. These speakers do not stand out in any way. So it will be difficult to point toward any specific performance attribute that might set them apart. All you will hear is the music…nothing more, nothing less. Once you hear them, you will understand. But it will be difficult to explain the experience to someone who has not.”
http://www.hifizine.com/2010/06/salk-signature-soundscape-speaker/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2011, 02:04 pm »
  Yes they are according to many great speakers, which I do not doubt. However $10,000 is serious money.
  There is a reason why so many speakers are available. Everyone has different taste as well as ancilary equipment. If it were me before laying down 10,000 a plane ticket to the manf. would be my first option. If ya do not care for them it's not $10,000 out of your pocket. If you do like them it was worth the ticket price.

charles

fsimms

« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2011, 02:29 pm »
I'm really excited, I sure hope these speakers like rock music, 'cause that's what I'm going to feed them  :thumb:

I am glad you are getting to hear them.  Please give us a brief report after listening, pro or con.

Bob

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2011, 04:31 pm »
The SoundScapes will cost you money. 

First better ancillaries, especially your sources (they are that good).

Second better furnishings in the rest of the room/house (they are the most beautiful pieces of furniture I've ever seen and would put my solid cherry pieces to shame).

Oh and BTW, get rid of pets and kids, cause you'll not want anything to touch them.