Ripole build - dual 18" Hawthorne Audio drivers

JohnR

Re: Ripole build - dual 18" Hawthorne Audio drivers
« Reply #120 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:29 am »
Bob, cool. Nothing changed at all? Did you try the Levels button on the REW measuring page? Wondering if perhaps you can increase the mic gain on the fasttrack.

[Edit: the Check Levels button - that will tell you if REW thinks you are getting enough signal]

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #121 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:40 am »
Nick - Not sure about the difference between the RiPole and the dual 15" Augies. Too early to tell.
Although, the RiPole sound quality is VERY good. None of the boomy stuff you'd expect from a sealed/ported sub. Very clean, very sharp.
But like I said, I'm still in the settings/tweakings so it's too early to make serious judgements.

John - I changed nothing. In fact, I was probably leaning slightly to the left in my chair during each test. I don't think I sat up straight on any of them.
Ok....that's a bit of a stretch, but not by much. I never touched a setting, I never touched the mic position. Ever. Not once.

Interestingly, one channel of the audio is about 30dB higher than the other. Not sure why as it should be a mono signal.
"REW" had bitched every time that it's not loud enough, although I'm higher than the 65dB shown.  :scratch:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #122 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:41 am »
p.s. The mic levels on the Fast Track are cranked.

JohnR

« Reply #123 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:47 am »
What level does the Level Check report?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #124 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:19 am »
Hmm....I've since unhooked, but if memory serves it was wanting -56dB and I was "only" -10.

JohnR

« Reply #125 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:33 am »
I'm guessing that you saw this screen then?

If so, the levels are way too low - something is not configured right. You should get very close results from sweep to sweep.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #126 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:18 pm »
Yip, that's the one I'm seeing, although my numbers are even further apart than those.  :?

Blackmore

« Reply #127 on: 24 Sep 2011, 03:25 pm »
Bob,
When you get the volume problem fixed you ought to go to REW download section and get the calibration file for the Behringer 8000 mic.  Then under "preferences" you click "mic/meter" and then browse for that calibration file.  Then you'll be as accurate as that mic can be. 

Hope you have some time tonight to get that level up. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #128 on: 24 Sep 2011, 03:39 pm »
Great advice Mark, thank you.
The problem I'm having this morning is it won't run the tone. I'm getting an error message, "signal generator audio output not available".  :scratch:

Been sifting through the pages of REW on the Home Theater Shack forum searching.

Bob

Blackmore

« Reply #129 on: 24 Sep 2011, 03:49 pm »
Wish I knew more about Windows 7.  Are you sure that your computer is talking to the M Audio pre?

(I knew I shouldn't have brought all that gear over in an Apple bag. :lol: :lol:)   I know, I will burn in hell for that last comment.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #130 on: 24 Sep 2011, 03:57 pm »
No worries Mark, I won't tell the MAC guys what you did.  :icon_twisted:

"Am I sure" the PC is talking to the M Audio?
No....I'm not sure of very much at all right now.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Suprisingly, the Shack website hasn't been very helpful. I think I'll dig around in Windows to see what kind of button there are.

Bob

InfernoSTi

« Reply #131 on: 24 Sep 2011, 04:14 pm »
Bob,

REW is a bit buggy/finicky in my experience.  Of course, I'm using it with a Mac and couldn't get it to work until I loaded Windows XP via Parallel (virtual machine).  THEN it worked fine on my Mac....no kidding!  A couple of little things seem to make a difference to REW.  One is to make sure all your interfaces are updated to the latest versions.  I couldn't get things going until I updated my version of Java.  Another is to make sure all other audio inputs/outputs are removed besides the USB to the M-audio pre.  I had to remove the optical out that I used to use for my DAC and reboot with the USB to the pre attached.  It seems there are lots of these little things that have to be just right. 

Once you get past the frustrations of getting REW up and running consistently, you will find it is quite capable and simple to use.  I enjoy it quite a bit, actually.

John

P.S. What is this Windows 7 thing you guys are speaking of?  I thought the "upgrade" to Windows XP was OSX Snow Leopard (which has since been upgraded to OSX Lion).   :scratch:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #132 on: 24 Sep 2011, 04:22 pm »
Yea, it does seem to be finnicky. I "fixed" the last problem I had by unplugging the M-Audio, and plugging it back in.  :roll:

Now I'm back to the original problem of the signal being too low. Interestingly, I can turn the M-Audio's volume of the sweep down to zero, and it still generates a graph almost identical to the one I posted above.

What's it hearing?  :scratch:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #134 on: 24 Sep 2011, 07:07 pm »
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-790
That's pretty cool, but for $300, I think I'll stick with the (borrowed/free) Behringer mic and M-Audio piece that I have. I've actually started a thread on "The Shack", and the fellow that designed the REW software is helping to troubleshoot. It's a very powerful piece of software and Mark was kind enough to lend my some quality tools to go along with it. Once I get past the learning curve I should be in good shape.

Hell, I was able to figure out the DCX2496 remote computer interface..... I should be able to get REW.  :lol:

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #135 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:58 am »
Hi Bob - thanks for persevering  :thumb:

Interestingly, I can turn the M-Audio's volume of the sweep down to zero, and it still generates a graph almost identical to the one I posted above.

What's it hearing?  :scratch:

Perhaps the noise of your computer's own soundcard. REW is not getting the mic signal.

I don't know how it's configured in Windows (yes I also am one of "those" :lol: ) but you may need to configure the Windows default input device to be the M-Audio. Then select the default device in REW. Or perhaps the other way around. In each case, restart REW after each configuration change. This is just to be sure - once you've figured out the settings it should be easy each time.

Another thing to just check is you have REW set to read the correct input channel. I understand the Fasttrack is a single channel device but you may still have to tell REW whether the signal is on the left or right channel.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #136 on: 25 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm »
These buggy issues are why I switched to HolmImpulse.  REW is a great program but I have found it to be very frustrating to use.  I purchased a new computer and was not able to get it to work after spending way to many hours trying to get it working.  I was able to load Holm and instantly start using it. 

Just a thought.

http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #137 on: 25 Sep 2011, 05:43 pm »
jtrace, thank you for the link. I'll keep that in mind if REW decides to continue on it's present course.  :lol:
I've also got another fellow willing to loan my yet another piece of equipment and software if needed.

Just for grins, I downloaded the free version of TrueRTA, and am able to get a working spectrum analyzer with seemingly accurate SPL levels. Although, it's like one bar per octave, so it's fairly useless. But at least tells me "that" end of things are working.

John....Good advice, thank you for sticking with me.
There are two RCA cables running from the M-Audio to my receiver. It does have a right and left output, although, there is a mono button. I suppose that's to "combine" the two channels? I did, however try to change the default channel to the other side with no change in things.

I'm running the M-Audio through a USB. Doesn't that mean I'm not going through a sound card?  :scratch:
I do have my PC recognizing the fact there's an outside piece of equipment installed. It even calls it by name, so I know they're "talking". I did manage to get the green checkmark on the M-Audio icon, so it "should be" enabled. In fact, I've made so many changes to my PC, that I don't even have any audio from it's speakers anymore.  :duh:

The fellow that designed REW hasn't replied in a while, but I'm still playing around pushing buttons. I'm hoping I'll stumble on the right combination of things, but there's a LOT of settings.

Bob

gooberdude

« Reply #138 on: 25 Sep 2011, 05:54 pm »
Bob, last night your neighbor Ryan mentioned that he has the gear to get you measured quickly.   That may be the easiest solution.

Sorry about dropping the ball on the XTZ analyzer, it was late & dewy in your valley, didn't want it sitting out in the humidity until morning.  I'll try to make it out your way in the next few nights if you don't get this straight before then.

JohnR

« Reply #139 on: 25 Sep 2011, 10:08 pm »
I'm running the M-Audio through a USB. Doesn't that mean I'm not going through a sound card?  :scratch:

Yes, I meant that it sounds like you have REW configured to get input from your internal soundcard rather than the M-audio.

Perhaps post a screenshot of your Preferences window?