Sticker shock

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Sticker shock
« Reply #20 on: 8 May 2011, 01:42 am »
Yeah, music is food for the brain and heart. A car is a pain in the ass.

Lars

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2011, 01:02 pm »
Hi Al

I agree it has not been nice but the prices are what they are out of the economics of manufacturing and development cost. No one (at least at Bryston) is ripping anyone off. Currency value fluctuations (especially the US dollar), transportation costs, parts cost, etc are increasing exponentially.

James

Of Course James i don`t think that Bryston is ripping anyone. But i was really shockt about the price for the MM Phono Option for B 100 SST: 1.205,49 Dollar. 55% price increase in 4 Years. All High End Products in Germany are high priced but Bryston is too expensiv in in comparison to other Companys. Don `t take wrong but bryston is not a very acttractiv at the moment for European Customers.

Otherwise i`m very pleased with my B-100 and your service.  :thumb:

Greetings Lars

Alpha10

« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2011, 02:40 pm »
Of Course James i don`t think that Bryston is ripping anyone. But i was really shockt about the price for the MM Phono Option for B 100 SST: 1.205,49 Dollar. 55% price increase in 4 Years. All High End Products in Germany are high priced but Bryston is too expensiv in in comparison to other Companys. Don `t take wrong but bryston is not a very acttractiv at the moment for European Customers.

Otherwise i`m very pleased with my B-100 and your service.  :thumb:

Greetings Lars

The same is true unfortunately in the UK, dollar prices seem to manage to be transfered directly into British Pounds. So $10k for the SP3 means a probable £10k which puts it way up there, not Bryston's fault, it is the same for everything, just puts some things out of reach...

Cheers

95Dyna

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2011, 03:28 pm »
I feel fortunate that I bought my 7B's and BP26/MPS2 in June of '09 just after the PS/capcitor upgrades and just prior to the price increase that year.  The 7's cost me $6,711.00 USD and the BP26/MPS2 $3,272.00.  The list price of this combo is now $3,897.00 higher.  I think I'll take all my money and invest it in a warehouse full of Bryston gear.  Way better return than the 1.5% I'm now earning.

G E

« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2011, 05:32 pm »
As a purchaser of a Bryston 4BSST2 in the past 6 or 7 months I also noted the price increases over the past couple years.  A couple months after, I decided to build a phono preamp (Hagerman Technologies Bugle).  As I sourced the items needed, it seemed like parts were higher than when I last built an electronics project.  I compared with a Bill of Materials from a project I did a few years ago and across the board costs are up, in a big way.

There are two major emerging economies that are really ratcheting up their consumption and as a result resource prices are up.  I fear we haven't seen anything yet. 

So, with hyperinflation on the horizon it now becomes a prudent course of action to max out the credit cards and get really cool Bryston stuff (how about 6 x 28BssT2 and the SP3 for a multichannel rig) and pay later with inflated dollars.   :icon_lol:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2011, 05:46 pm »
I tend to be a "I get what I pay for" guy.  If people feel they can do as good or better for less $$ then that's what they should do.  Value is a subjective concept.  If it wasn't...statements like "best bang for the buck" wouldn't exist.  I've been in this hobby for nearly 40 years and frankly, if I had bit the bullet 20 years ago and spent a bit more instead of constant incremental upgrades, I'd be at pretty much the same point I'm at now, but with far less outlay.
Just sayin'
Hibuck....

PRELUDE

« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2011, 11:08 pm »
The high price tag for HI-FI gear is something that we can talk about it forever, till we see a day that none of them are in existence.
I think the real reason for this prices is consumers not the manufactures.
There are two deferent type of consumers,one that like the performance and do not mind to pay the extra for it, but does not like to over spent or waste.
The second one is a person that he/she won't pay unless it is cheap and every thing will be expensive to the view on mater what.
When you have any product and would like to put it in the market you always have two major cost. One to make it and one how much it will cost you to stay in the business and unfortunately we cannot control any of them in this days.So regular price increase will be acceptable as far when they are reasonable.

G E

« Reply #27 on: 13 May 2011, 12:16 am »
The prices are up because the cost of electronic components (capacitors,resisters, switches, silicon based products) are skyrocketing

steel, aluminum , copper are all way up. It affects many industries not just consumer electronics

math-geek

« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2011, 01:02 am »
I in no way play in the feild with some of you guys.  I am a graduate student and make almost no money.  I have, though, managed to assemble quite an impressive sound system over the past few years.  I have had Krell and now happily own Bryston (.5B and 4B ST).  Along with my Dynaudios I have way more money in my system than the average "Big Box Store" buyer ever will, even at used prices!

Music is much more than sound to me though.  It is an experience that moves me...Sometimes to tears when thinking about special times.  Music can be a time machine, transporting us to past events with vivid clarity.  I cannot put a price on my listening experience, it is an important part of my life.

As far as expense goes, Bryston is a bargain compared to Krell and Mark Levinson equipment.  I have seen the price increases on used equipment as well.  I am just happy that many of our favorite high end brands are still in production, it is almost miraculous!

vegasdave

« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2011, 02:20 am »
The prices are up because the cost of electronic components (capacitors,resisters, switches, silicon based products) are skyrocketing

steel, aluminum , copper are all way up. It affects many industries not just consumer electronics

Yep.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2011, 03:26 am »
Yes, a time machine for sure. Music is my esoteric launchpad and my equipment is my boarding pass. :angel: :wave:

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2011, 04:20 am »
Yes, a time machine for sure. Music is my esoteric launchpad and my equipment is my boarding pass. :angel: :wave:

:thumb:

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2011, 04:58 am »
I'm always looking for at least 20% off the sticker price .. if the dealer refuse to knock the price off , i'll play dumb and throw in some hyper expensive snake oil cables (very high bonus for sales guy) and fiddle with the equiptments's price.  Then i'll throw out the cables once they soften up and reach my price mark.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #33 on: 16 May 2011, 06:48 am »
I'm always looking for at least 20% off the sticker price .. if the dealer refuse to knock the price off , i'll play dumb and throw in some hyper expensive snake oil cables (very high bonus for sales guy) and fiddle with the equiptments's price.  Then i'll throw out the cables once they soften up and reach my price mark.

You're a grinder.

The dealer is not the enemy.

amblin

« Reply #34 on: 16 May 2011, 08:11 am »
 :icon_lol: ha ha i never consider them my enemy, it's just that the price tag is always sky high here in my region.   my dealer's sticker on a 14B SST SQ = ~13500 USD excl. tax.   BP26+ MPS2 = ~6700 USD w/ remote  :green:

:green: i'm a poor man, so i must knock at least 20%, sometimes 30% off that tag...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2011, 11:22 am »
Hi All,

Just be aware that once the product gets discounted to the point it does not support the cost of doing business the product will disappear from the market :duh:

james

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2011, 11:49 am »

If the dealer holds the price you negotiated after you pull that stunt, he deserves customers like you.

Just curious...does your dealer offer you a price on a unit and then when you agree to it, does he tell you that you'll have to also buy, oh, say ... a high-end turntable at full price to get the price you had agreed to on the original item ? Wouldn't be fair now, would it?
 But that's what you're doing to him.
Negotiating a price is fine but both sides of the negotiation should be showing good faith or it opens the door to all kinds of crap which ends up with some guy whining about how dealers are all greedy crooks in an Audio Circle thread.

:green: i'm a poor man, so i must knock at least 20%, sometimes 30% off that tag...

I grew up poor. I didn't spend a whole lot of time dickering with salesmen on high-end audio.

D.D.

amblin

« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2011, 03:52 pm »
well, sorry if i said anything that upsets you .  :o

But that's how things work here in my region. While living in the UK, i always buy at listed price because it's REASONABLY priced.

But here, simply by asking ' what's the discount?' they'd immediately knock 20% off their own price, Because this is how they sell such things here in my place, bow the price sky high and let the customer knock the price off bit by bits.   If they asked say, $9000, or even ~$10k w/no more discounts for a 14b , i'd be more than happy to accept the deal immediately. But we are talking about $13000+ , and $3000+ for a pair of MB2 stands.  :o and every other brands aswell. Fancy a pair of B&W 800 diamond? $35000.

Well i'm not complaining, it's just some facts i must tell. If you can buy the stuff w/o any discount because they carry a reasonable price tag. I envy you, really. I hate the tedious grinding more than you do, because it was me been doing al the bad thing.  :green:

adol290

« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2011, 05:06 pm »
In my city it is almost expected that some sort of discount will be applied.

I have bought many items from a mid range audio store(Marantz/Denon), and they commonly gave me 15-20% off of the retail price. This has occurred over a 10 year period.

When I started upgrading to separates at a higher end store, I still got up to 15% off.

But I have also had a high end store refuse to lower their price more than 3%. They always had
 an arrogant attitude, like they were doing me a favor. Well I went elsewhere, got my discount,
 and they lost ALOT of business from me.

I think a smart business is able to gauge what their their customers can and are willing to
 pay.

Some people want the best/ have the money, and will pay MSRP, with no questions. Some will pay close
 to MSRP, because they believe the product is the best and it is worth it. Some people know its the
 best but need to stretch their dollars a bit more. In this case the business will tend to give this person
 a bigger break, knowing the person will probably return for future purchases(myself). I have built a
 good relationship with such a business. Of course there must be a reasonable middle ground for both parties.

For the smart business its a win win.

Rustycat

« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2011, 05:15 pm »
A lot of the time, the distributor/manufacturer puts the fear of God into their dealers regarding discounting prices.  A perfect example is REL.  Try finding a dealer that will discount a REL sub that isn't "a floor model".  This policy is good for the dealers, but, with the internet as a primary
alternative, especially for "gently used" to brick and mortar, a lot of business is lost.
It is also a bit ludicrious (re REL), when they price a sub at $10K.  Of course, when they are pitching to a dealer, they cam assure them they will protect their territory and insure huge margins on the product they sell.