looking for SS that sound like tube

newbee123

looking for SS that sound like tube
« on: 26 Apr 2011, 09:03 pm »
Any input??
I have old B&K ST-140 and sound like tube.
Any others SS sound like that?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: looking for SS that sound like tube
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2011, 06:01 pm »
Some people compare Burson amps sound to tubes. I wouldn't say so.
However, they are still great sounding.  :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2011, 02:26 am »
Some older Rowland and Pass labs amps sounded what I consider a hybrid sound, warmer than ss but leaner than tube. 

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2011, 02:29 am »
To some extent, Electrocompaniet.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2011, 02:34 am »
you might want to check out this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93906.0

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2011, 06:39 am »
No SS amps sound like tubes.  Sorry...

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2011, 10:01 am »
The B&K ST-140 was an exact and unauthorized copy of our first power mos-fet amplifier design, our Mos-Fet 150.

The design goal was to eliminate any trace of transient intermodulation distortion and we were very successful in doing this.  However, to do this we ended up suppressing some musical inner detail along with the nasty solid state grit.

The good news is that the amp ended up pretty "tube like".  The bad news is that the amp ended up sounding pretty "tube like".

I think to start your quest for a solid state amp that is better than the old B&K 140 or the original AVA Mos-Fet 150, you better first define what the "tube like" sound you are looking for really is.

Go to some live unamplified concerts (no electricity allowed at all) and while there, close your eyes and pretend that you are listening to an audio system and try and think about what the strengths and weakness of this "audio system" has.  That will give you an interesting take on what an audio system can, and can not, do.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2011, 11:10 am »
Good advice Frank, define the exact issues,  otherwise this thread will become mindless chatter.

Berto

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2011, 02:43 pm »
Although I agree w/Tyson, if yo can use a integrated the Redgum from Australia surprised me to no end. As a former B&K owner I think it would be a BIG step up!  FWIW I've had some VERY high end tube amps in my room lately and I would take the redgum over a few of them :o

morganc

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2011, 03:12 pm »
Although I agree w/Tyson, if yo can use a integrated the Redgum from Australia surprised me to no end. As a former B&K owner I think it would be a BIG step up!  FWIW I've had some VERY high end tube amps in my room lately and I would take the redgum over a few of them :o

Berto:   Which tube amps have you compared and what type of speakers and music do you prefer?

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2011, 03:36 pm »
No SS amps sound like tubes.  Sorry...

Yes 100% agree. Give it up and get tubes and quit crying about wattage.

werd

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2011, 09:22 pm »
The B&K ST-140 was an exact and unauthorized copy of our first power mos-fet amplifier design, our Mos-Fet 150.

The design goal was to eliminate any trace of transient intermodulation distortion and we were very successful in doing this.  However, to do this we ended up suppressing some musical inner detail along with the nasty solid state grit.

The good news is that the amp ended up pretty "tube like".  The bad news is that the amp ended up sounding pretty "tube like".

I think to start your quest for a solid state amp that is better than the old B&K 140 or the original AVA Mos-Fet 150, you better first define what the "tube like" sound you are looking for really is.

Go to some live unamplified concerts (no electricity allowed at all) and while there, close your eyes and pretend that you are listening to an audio system and try and think about what the strengths and weakness of this "audio system" has.  That will give you an interesting take on what an audio system can, and can not, do.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

I like this post but i would say your evaluation is pointing towards source capability and less amplification. If you are comparing sound systems to playing acoustic live then you are comparing source components vs live - and a lot less amplification/speakers imo. We are hearing acoustic instruments with natural amplification, its all source.

You are absolutely bang on though. Get a good handle on acoustic live and your journey into tubes or SS is trivial. Its a great way of improving your own sonic identity.

Berto

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2011, 09:32 pm »
Berto:   Which tube amps have you compared and what type of speakers and music do you prefer?

Hey Morgan,
         I've compared it to Atma-sphere Ma-1s, Toshi Kurashima 520amp, Tubeguru F2a's all hand wired point to point and well executed designs. I like a warm musical sound. I have Daedalus Ulysses. and I pretty much like ALL well recorded music, depends on the mood, but I NEVER want my gear to limit my genre so besides doing female/male vocals exceptionally well they have to ROCK OUT TOO :rock:

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2011, 09:58 pm »
Any input??
I have old B&K ST-140 and sound like tube.
Any others SS sound like that?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  The Yamaha a-s2000 Integrated amp sounds like "NO AMP AT ALL" !

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2011, 02:38 am »
Some people compare Burson amps sound to tubes. I wouldn't say so.
However, they are still great sounding.  :thumb:
I couldn't agree more. I have the latest Burson integrated, the PI-160 and though its not tube like in its sound, its not really SS either. Its uncommonly neutral with gobs of tone and detail. Extended, full bodied and yet lean like real life. Nothing romantic but that's what I like. When I say its "not really SS either" I guess I mean to say that it doesn't have the slightest trace of mid-fi in it and that's the highest compliment I can say. You could do a lot worse.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2011, 03:43 pm »
Is it broke?
Don't you just hate it when you turn on an amp and..........nothing.  :banghead:

BTW I know a good repair shop in your area.

Lin  :)
                                                                                                                                             The Yamaha a-s2000 gets 'totally out of the way' and lets all the music come through.....exactly what we are all looking for, I think !.. I think this is a future classic that we will talk about for a long.... long time !...

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2011, 03:59 pm »
Berto,

I am curious how the Redgum compared to your Atmas.

BPoletti

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2011, 04:09 pm »
I think the Herron M-150 provides both good "tube warmth" and exquisite detail without being etched.  IMO the Herron M-1 is even better.

werd

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2011, 07:34 pm »
The Blue Circle BC22 amp sounds tubey.

Gopher

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2011, 07:49 pm »
Berto,

I am curious how the Redgum compared to your Atmas.

I preferred the RGi120 to your S-30 by a significant margin.  It didn't nail the same level of transparency, but all the control was there with additional warmth, tons more texture and a much more harmonically complete sound on my Superflys. 

I flat out didn't like the MA1s with Berto's speakers and, though I didn't hear our mutual friend's Redgum with his speakers, I am not surprised he greatly preferred the Redgum there. 

OP, 

if 15wpc can be enough power I'm REALLY digging the F3 right now.  I need to compare it to the Redgum RGi120 and RGi35s I have at home, but since plugging it in I've had no interest in taking it out.

Berto,

Next time I come over I'm bringing the Shindo/F3.  I set out looking for a summer amp and this thing is competing with my 845 monos for full time duty!