Treading water, but still feeling overwhelmed.

gprro

Re: Treading water, but still feeling overwhelmed.
« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:49 pm »
Maybe try out the Mapleshade Stantons, available in different mod levels. http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Stanton-ST-150/products/201/ Pierre seems pretty high on it, supposed to be better than stock sl1200. Anyone tried one or have feedback on them? Maybe KAB could start modding these?

Wow, didn't know the sl1200's were going for that much now, I understand the nostalgia, but, if I could sell mine (mint KAB) and get into a used VPI classic for not much more.... :eyebrows:

I'll agree too, that if you don't want to deal with setup, which has been my biggest headache, get a Rega with cart. Good luck with it! I will say there's something about vinyl, even on a cheaper set up like the Pro-ject Xpression I have, that top level digital still doesn't seem to do. I have a ~$3K mac mini/DAC combo, and the Pro-jects upper midrange is better, though haven't heard the newest mac with mods yet.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #41 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:36 am »
Turntables have fans more than most other Audio  gear bits.
Only tubes have such strong opinionated followings.
Technics ANd KAB seem the very strongest. Then Garrard 301/401, and others...
It is just a funny thing.

Wayner

« Reply #42 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:02 am »
Is the sl 1200 for sale?

My local guy says they sell as soon as they come in for $300.  Kids keep buying them to dj.  He says the price will rise since they have discontinued the table and the demand is still there.

I have a friend that is pushing the new Rega p1.   He says for 450, you get a 300 arm that can be saved for many a table....  Will be making the first move by the end of the week.

The P1 comes with a Rega RB100, not to be confused with their other "higher" quality arms, in which there is significant improvement.

Lets not get the issues interlased with false information.

Wayner

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #43 on: 26 Apr 2011, 04:16 am »
Thanks wayne,
I see what you are saying there.  I even got it wrong as it is the new rp-1.  with a 101 arm.  I was led to believe it was a much better arm, the 301.  That would have been a big oversight, thanks for pointing it out. 

bastlnut

• just make my jaw drop!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: 26 Apr 2011, 08:00 am »
hallo,

i still think the Thorens TD 160 would be the best bet for you.
they run and run with almost never any problems, basically foolproof.

if you want something different, then this will be better than most.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308939141&/Kenwood-KD-650
sell the cartridge and you will get most of your money back and put a Grado or Ortofon cartridge in its place for MM input on your amp.

this is nice and you can probably offer a bit less for it, then you only need a cartridge.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308532615&/Denon-DP-60L

this will also do you nicely.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308495498&/Harman-Kardon-T55c
or
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308434385&/Rega-P2
this is basically a Rega P2 but with another name...
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1307929357&/Rotel-RP-900

have fun choosing,
bas

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2011, 11:25 am »
Yo Andy,
Nice pic of Trane. Check out this T shirt:

IMO Bas gave you some good advice. There happens to be a couple of Oracle Alexandria tables on there now. I think one of them just showed up.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308942512&/Oracle-Alexandria

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1306672994&/Oracle-Alexandria-Mk-II

For me, it would be a choice between an Alexandria and that Kenwood 650.
Those 500 and 600 series Kenwoods are really good. So is the Alexandria. I'm into direct drive or rim/idler drive, but I'm familiar with the Alexandria and I think it will smoke those other belt drives (including the TD-160), previously recommended. The Rega tables aren't even in contention, as far as I'm concerned. Once you really get into it, you're might want a bunch of upgrades to give it the features they should have in the first place. Audiophiles buy those tables and drop another grand into upgrades., I know this won't endear me to Rega owners, but I can imagine your frustration sometime in the future with one of those, wondering what a particular upgrade would do, or if you want to switch cartridges and it winds up at a goofy angle.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
neo

Indiansprings

« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm »
hallo,

i still think the Thorens TD 160 would be the best bet for you.
they run and run with almost never any problems, basically foolproof.

if you want something different, then this will be better than most.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308939141&/Kenwood-KD-650
sell the cartridge and you will get most of your money back and put a Grado or Ortofon cartridge in its place for MM input on your amp.

this is nice and you can probably offer a bit less for it, then you only need a cartridge.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308532615&/Denon-DP-60L

this will also do you nicely.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308495498&/Harman-Kardon-T55c
or
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1308434385&/Rega-P2
this is basically a Rega P2 but with another name...
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1307929357&/Rotel-RP-900

have fun choosing,
bas
These are all good tables to get started with but I really dont think any of them really will best a sl 1200.  :?
I will say that my experiance is limited, and this is my opinion.

bastlnut

« Reply #47 on: 26 Apr 2011, 08:46 pm »
hallo,

yes, the Alexandria is the best of the lot.
it does need more than a little knowledge in how to tune a suspension, but once it is right it is hard to better for the same money.
i like the Kenwood too, but the tonearm is heavier than middle weight and will want a lower compliance cartridge.
the benefit of the Rega's is that it can be listened to now as is, and be upgraded later or sold with little loss.

for the OP, buckeyefanandy,
you have to start somewhere and what has been recommended will work right away and be easy to repair or tweak as needed.......
most of us know how and can help when you need some.
take the plunge and start somewhere.

regards,
bas

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #48 on: 26 Apr 2011, 09:47 pm »
I have settled on a few tables and am negotiating on one in particular.  Talked with two local shops that said they would help me get my table set and ready to go, and teach me how to keep it dialed in.  Turns out one of the techs at the shop is an old friend. :D

I am still going to go get a vintage table, for the fun.  Of the three that I have settled on, they are solid built, nice design, and from the new friends I have made that have had and have many tables, these were the three they wished they could have back....

Hope to have my pics ready to go tonight.  Also was able to sell some "old stuff" that has been sitting in a box for ages and have been able to turn that into a very nice pre with a phono stage.  Spending the evening looking for some LPs of my old favorites to be ready for day 1.

Thanks for helping me sort all this out.

srb

« Reply #49 on: 26 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm »
I was going to tell you just to get a new turntable, but now that you've established two knowledgeable vintage support groups, that makes all the difference in the world.  Congratulations and enjoy!

Steve

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:23 am »
Not going vintage yet.  Will be hunting for one of the "hot" vintage tables locally.  I am going to be getting my hands on one of the tables that has come highly recommended (not a Technics).

I am going to get a simple, but elegant design of the scout, Delphi, etc. and have the shop down the street set it up.

He recommends a Pearl cart.  So that is where I will start.

bastlnut

« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2011, 06:31 am »
hallo,

so please tell us which TT you chose!

the guy recommended a Sumiko Pearl cartridge?
this is a budget cartridge for a budget turntable,
a VPI(Scout) or Oracle(Delphi) turntable are definitely not budget and deserve a good cartridge.
you will be much happier with a Benz Silver, ACE H or a Nagaoka MP 200 or something higher up the range.
a budget cartridge on a top turntable is a common mistake that is made when the cartridge is actually the most important sound factor of the set up.
the cartridge determines the sound and the tonearm how good it will play for you.

regards,
bas

Jlappy

« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2011, 06:49 am »
Andy,

Bas is right the cart is key and is the next piece to the equation  . . . . yet it is all about journey  . . . spinning Gentle Giant's - In A Glass House as I type this  . . .  sweet! 8) 

So what tt did you end up and what cart did get?   cheers,  jim

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #53 on: 27 Apr 2011, 08:12 am »
If you're on a budget, a used REGA 3 is very, very hard to beat. I'd go with a Denon DL-103 and a transformer or a decent mm/mc head amp. If you want to go Moving Magnet (like, say, you already have a phono input) then a Clearaudio Arum Beta II. Depending on what you need for head amp/transformer, could be either side of around $1K all in, but you could shave it down with a different cartridge (although it's important and it does matter; your dollars will show there).
I am VERY familiar with Technics tables, and an SL-1200 is a nice example, but sound quality wise the REGA beats it for similar money. One of the better Technics tables can be very family-friendly, though, if that's important.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #54 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:41 am »
well, I got extremely lucky.  A local guy has a bunch of turntables in a huge audio collection.  We struck up a conversation in a local record shop.  I was picking up some old Jazz Albums and some U2 among other stuff.  He asked me why such a young guy was looking at vinyl?

Long story short, he decided to bring over 3 tables for me to audition.  First is a Nottingham Horizon, Second a VPI Jr, not sure of the model,  and some other table I never heard of, but he insisted it was the best in the price range.

He is bringing them to my house one at a time so that I can listen to each of them.  He is going to let me try them in my system for a few days then trade it out for the next.  He really wanted to help me make the best choice. 

The best part of this hobby is not the music, it is the people.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #55 on: 29 Apr 2011, 12:53 am »
I have found my table, it only took two days and two tables, but i settled on a Townshend Rock Elite turntable.  I now have to find and arm and cartridge because his stuff was WAY out of my price range. 

But I can say that I hit both the look and sound I was looking for at a price that was half what my budget would permit.  Now I can spend the rest on the arm, cart, and pre????

Ericus Rex

« Reply #56 on: 29 Apr 2011, 12:57 am »
Congrats!  Townshends are great tables.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #57 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:05 am »
Thanks.  Your help was appreciated.  Now to decide what big black cd to play first.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #58 on: 29 Apr 2011, 06:32 am »
I have found my table, it only took two days and two tables, but i settled on a Townshend Rock Elite turntable.  I now have to find and arm and cartridge because his stuff was WAY out of my price range. 

But I can say that I hit both the look and sound I was looking for at a price that was half what my budget would permit.  Now I can spend the rest on the arm, cart, and pre????

What an INSPIRED choice, Andy  :thumb:

I owned one (I think maybe it was a Mark II) in 1988-89 and it made some of the sweetest sounds I've heard at my house.  With a Grado at the helm (Grado's enjoy fluid damping and the Townshend has it in the best place I can think of - at the end of the 9" arm) it kicked out some serious tunes.

It had an old Helius Orion as the arm. A nice Rega RB-251 and a <$200 Grado will have that deck singing - and, you, too  :singing:

Bass that put CD to shame (still would I think) and smooth as silk with the oft-ragged Grado tames with fluid damping.

Setting in up on feedback resistant base or feet is a MUST.  The masonite/concrete Max uses for the plinth does trap a fair amount of energy in it.

Enjoy, John  :)

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #59 on: 29 Apr 2011, 07:39 am »
What an INSPIRED choice, Andy  :thumb:

I owned one (I think maybe it was a Mark II) in 1988-89 and it made some of the sweetest sounds I've heard at my house.  With a Grado at the helm (Grado's enjoy fluid damping and the Townshend has it in the best place I can think of - at the end of the 9" arm) it kicked out some serious tunes.

It had an old Helius Orion as the arm. A nice Rega RB-251 and a <$200 Grado will have that deck singing - and, you, too  :singing:

Bass that put CD to shame (still would I think) and smooth as silk with the oft-ragged Grado tames with fluid damping.

Setting in up on feedback resistant base or feet is a MUST.  The masonite/concrete Max uses for the plinth does trap a fair amount of energy in it.

Enjoy, John  :)

Well, being who I am...............I can put a nice NOS G1+ Grado body with new 8MZ stylus package together for under $170.00.

Who am I?    as the song goes

" I'm a little pimp with my hair gassed back.........pair a kakhi pants and my shoes shined black"