What Cables Make Your Bryston Gear Really Sing?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
What Cables Make Your Bryston Gear Really Sing?
« on: 16 Apr 2011, 09:52 pm »
Howdy, Brystonians !  :wave: It's been a while since I last waded into the speaker cable and IC swamp but I'm waist-deep in it right now as I audition new wire for my system and I must say it's been an eye-opening experience. Curious as to what the Bryston community has found works really well with their gear...from Home Depot to Bryston's own wire to ultra-boutique super-spendy pure Unobtainium and all points in between, what have you found really makes your Bryston gear sing ?

D.D.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: What Cables Make Your Bryston Gear Really Sing?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:07 pm »
Audioquest CV4 has been a good match between 4B st and the JBL 120 Ti's. I've kept them to six feet in length.  :singing:

werd

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2011, 10:34 pm »
Hi

The Bryston Cable is good, and i've had success with Wywires, Emprical audio, Straightwire, Nordost, Gutwire and Blue circle and many others..

I have never found a brand that i can use all the way through - from digital all the way down into speaker cable.

The Wywires ic's are very good. and so are the Emprical audio. The Bryston speaker cable works really good with wywires ic's.

Its a mix/match - trial and error journey.

Depends on your AC conditioning too i have found. The effect my Torus had led me to change out all my power cables.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:02 pm »
Audioquest CV4 has been a good match between 4B st and the JBL 120 Ti's. I've kept them to six feet in length.  :singing:

Thanks, Redbook. What works for you in terms of interconnects?

D.D.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:33 pm »
I have Nordost Reddawn (flat version) between the amps . Recently I connected  the cd-1 using the balanced circuits to the preamp (BP-25). Things got a lot more open and dynamic. !  Soooooooooo.... I am soon getting another pair of  Bryston balanced wires for the amps as well.  Happy listening to everyone..... :dance:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:19 am »

I've been running Audioquest and Tara Labs for a long time. On the advice of my Bryston dealer, I've been auditioning some XLO Electric speaker cables over the last couple of weeks - first the Signature 3 series and then the Reference 3 series ( one step down ). The Reference 3's were very,very good - the Signature 3's were absolutely stunning. :o Jaw-dropping, drooling idiocy stunning. Very transparent...And quick like you would not believe...Tonight I've dropped a Signature 2 IC between my BCD-1 and my preamp- it ( the IC ) is new and has had pretty much zero break-in ( Ref 3's still in use for speakers ) and I'm already really impressed. Gonna try another one between my preamp and my 7B SST sq's this weekend and see how that works out - should be real nice...

D.D.

mclsound

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:39 am »
First off...no offence to anyone but.....
I have Cardas Golden Reference XLR  .5m(source) and 1.5m(amp) with the old Van Dammn 9 gauge(speaker) and Wywires PC's.
I have tried Van Damn XLR(to bright),Nordost red dawn RCA(wayyyy to bright),Straightwire Mastro XLR(good bang for the buck),Wywires(all were good but $$),Naggy's(all were fine on 5.1 analog but brittle),CGR does make a nice sound but $$$,and some Virtual Dynamic reference speaker cables(they were the worst cables to work with and the sound was nothing special for the $$)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2011, 01:46 am »
FM Acoustics 'P.I.T.' interconnects, Technics OFC from turntable to preamp, and Belden 10 gauge speaker cable.

robb

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2011, 02:13 am »
Hi

Over the last 15 years,  I have found both Nordost and Transparent Audio work very well with Bryston. I currently have the Nordost Tyr between my 4bsst2 and Thiel 2.4. Have recently auditioned a Transparent Reference speaker cable and and they lower the bottom end of the Thiels--amazing dynamic organ pedals down below 30 cycles--wish i could afford them. 

Rob

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2011, 02:23 am »
I use nothin' but the best! :P

Diamond Dog

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2011, 02:30 am »
I use nothin' but the best! :P

If that's what blows your hair back, more power to ya! :D

A belated happy birthday, Mag.

D.D.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2011, 03:59 am »
the best cable is the one to nowhere. The pigtail tweak really fixed problems I never knew I had.
Added a short 6" pigtail wire to the negative terminals of my Bryston amp speaker terminals.
My alternate take on this tweak had me add a 1" long 1/2 inch diameter ferrite at the end by stripping about five inches of the end and wrapping the bare wire through the hole in the ferrite and twisting it tight to make a solid connection to the ferrite. Then wrapping the ferrite wit hteflon tape. (the inches of wire to connect the ferrite is in addition to the 6" of wire from the five way binding post.
I also did a few for the A/C from the neutral prong in the recepticals.
The pigtail tweak added a new clariity and bass  response, with better dymnamics.
The best wire to nowhere I have tried.
My real cables are:
Kimber Hero for pre to amp 7 meters, and other stuff.
Kimber 8TC biwired speaker cables
Kimber KCAG for some stuff.
Mark Levinson wire with Vampire Tiffany style RCAs for most digital sources
IEC cords are all Pangea Power cords
I also use several Power conditioners.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2011, 09:37 pm by Elizabeth »

skunark

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2011, 07:34 am »
I've been extremely happy with Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval interconnects and the Black Oval 9s.  I always have mixed feelings about recommending cables though..  I've found the prices are within my rule of thumb, so the value and quality is there.   I've been meaning to try wireworld and kimber since a few dealers in town offer them.  In theory, I prefer the solid strand wire, but i've definitely been migrating away.

PierreB

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2011, 01:32 pm »
I have Bis Audio Expression RCA-RCA 1m from CD to BP25 and from BP25 to 2B SST.
For the speakers I use Bis Audio Type 3 10 feet in biwire configuration. I'm happy with them and they are made here in Montreal.  :thumb:

adol290

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2011, 03:10 pm »

All my interconnects are XLO Signature 3 XLR.

My front speakers(IB2i's) are ti-wired, with different cables..

The Bass is Alpha Goertz MI-3, run off one set of posts on the 28b - Gives very tight clean bass

The Mid  is XLO Signature 3  Shotgun, run off the second post on the 28b - very open clean detailed mid range

The High is a jumper made from Alpha Goertz MI-3. This is run off the mid post. Nice detailed highs not bright

All Power cords are what came with the gear. This will be a future tweak.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2011, 03:41 pm »
DiamondDog,

what TaraLabs are you using?

thanx,

al.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2011, 04:11 pm »
  If not using Bryston cables Tara has always had a wonderfull synergy with Bryston. The older Decade, Space & Time models are ideal. Analysis as well.
  it makes a lot of sense to me to use nothing but Bryston cables with an all Bryston system. SYNERGY.

charles

rob80b

« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2011, 04:27 pm »
I find the very affordable Canare Star Quad 4S11 speaker cables work very well between the 4BSST and my Dynaudio Special 25s. Just added some WBT 0681 spades to the speaker ends which fit like a glove, unfortunately cannot say the same at the amp end so may go with Brytons heavy spades which I’ve used before on my Audioquest and are also a perfect fit with the Bryston binding posts.

Also happy with the Canare Star Quad Model L-4E6S cable for balanced interconnects between the BCD-1 and BP25P and 4BSST.

Robert

Diamond Dog

« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2011, 05:13 pm »
DiamondDog,
what TaraLabs are you using?
thanx,
al.
Hi Al : Tara RSC Reference Generation 2 IC's and Tara RSC Prime 500 SC on top with Audioquest on the bottom in a bi-wire configuration. What's got you "wired up" ?   :D

Thanks

D.D.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2011, 05:27 pm »
All my interconnects are XLO Signature 3 XLR.
The Bass is Alpha Goertz MI-3, run off one set of posts on the 28b - Gives very tight clean bass
The Mid  is XLO Signature 3  Shotgun, run off the second post on the 28b - very open clean detailed mid range
The High is a jumper made from Alpha Goertz MI-3. This is run off the mid post. Nice detailed highs not bright

Adol:  Noticed you are running Alpha Goertz on the low end. Did you find the Signature 3's light on bass ?  I find the low end to be really good with those - tight and plentiful.
Also running PMC here.

D.D.