Jolida JD-100a: Old but Still Great?

Mass. Wine Guy

Jolida JD-100a: Old but Still Great?
« on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:10 pm »
Any opinions of the Jolida JD-100a cd player? I'm thinking of this, an Emotiva or an Usher CD1 (but there's no information on the Usher anywhere I can see).

Thanks very much.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Jolida JD-100a: Old but Still Great?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:21 pm »
MWG- I have a Virtue Audio Piano M1 CD player and if you want a player that is garnering awards quicker than you can say "whats MWG swapping out now?" just get one, let your wife pick the styling of it and while your at it have here pick out the styling on one of the matching form factor amps and sit down and listen to your music while your wife sits with you and says how happy she is you included her.
 I haven't heard a Jolida and I didn't know Usher made a CD player but hey I'm new..

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:27 pm »
Any opinions of the Jolida JD-100a cd player? I'm thinking of this, an Emotiva or an Usher CD1 (but there's no information on the Usher anywhere I can see).

Thanks very much.
MWG, I have a highly modified JD-100 that I'm looking to sell. It has an ugraded clock with it's own power supply. Blackgate caps, vishay resistors and RFT tubes. The only reason I'm selling it, is because I went to a music server. Let me know if you are interested. It's going on Audiogon this weekend for $575.00. That includes ground shipping and Paypal fee.

Gary

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:55 pm »
MWG- I have a Virtue Audio Piano M1 CD player and if you want a player that is garnering awards quicker than you can say "whats MWG swapping out now?" ..

Ed, you made me laugh out loud. Thanks. I've read about this player.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:25 pm »
Good...that was the idea...LOL!!!! :thumb:

dangerbird

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2011, 09:16 pm »
MWG, I have a highly modified JD-100 that I'm looking to sell. It has an ugraded clock with it's own power supply. Blackgate caps, vishay resistors and RFT tubes. The only reason I'm selling it, is because I went to a music server. Let me know if you are interested. It's going on Audiogon this weekend for $575.00. That includes ground shipping and Paypal fee.

Gary

what color is the faceplate?--Seems like an excellent deal on this player too.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:01 pm »
what color is the faceplate?--Seems like an excellent deal on this player too.

It's the silver faceplate

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:08 pm »
I have two of them, they're pretty good.
Ditch the stock power cord and Electro Harmonix tubes if they're in there.

dangerbird

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:19 pm »
Hey Mr Darth-- if you don't mind,,did you upgrade it yourself?Reason I ask,,a friend of mine has one--re-clocked/upgraded as yours,,and IIRC I think he upgraded the output caps to mundorfs,,I've been looking for one of these.Pretty fantastic unit too,,thanks for posting a pic.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:23 pm »
Does the faceplate color make a difference?

dangerbird

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:35 pm »
soundwise--not unless it's placed under a mirror ball.JK,,, Personally I prefer black--but nontheless-- this is a great player--considering the upgrades--for the price--heck yes-- good luck.  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:36 pm »
The silver faceplate model has a more organic presentation with better separation of intstruments emerging out of a blacker background.

Same with the FuzzFace guitar effects pedal of the late 60s - the red ones were the best.  (this was actually told to my high school rock band's guitar player by his guitar teacher!)

Just kidding - those that have all black or all silver components often look for a color match.

Steve

dangerbird

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm »
^^^^^ you gotta' admit--thats funny--^^^^  :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:49 pm »
..there is just a myriad of comebacks...MWG you weren't serious..right?

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2011, 11:01 pm »
I don't know if different models have different faceplates.

Are Blackgate caps, vishay resistors and RFT tubes good things? What does RFT mean?

dangerbird

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm »
Yes on the caps and resistors--RFT tubes were East German manfacture IIRC,,typically well made,rugged,and a step up from the "stock" tubes that come with the Jolida.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2011, 01:12 am »
Between the Jolida and the much newer Emotiva, are they about even? Is one better? I love the idea of tubes because they have a reputation for being smoother.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2011, 01:45 am »
I owned the Jolida for a brief time. If I were to sum it up in a word I'd say  :sleep:
It was nothing special at all in my system. I traded something (can't remember what) for it. Luckily I had no trouble selling it. The buyer was happy with the cdp. To each his own. Good luck MWG.

Gopher

« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2011, 01:48 am »
I owned an underwood Level 1 modified Jolida JD100 for several months and it was a really musical player.  Not the last word in linearity, but had a fun enveloping stage and big (albeit somewhat overblown) bass.

My dad owns the Emotiva CDP and I have fonder memories of my Jolida player, but I'm also just not a big fan of his rig in general.  Between 'meh' synergy and a poor room, it doesn't suck me in these days.

In the same price range (used) you should look into the Eastern Electric Minimax CDP.  I know its discontinued, but it was supposed to have been fantastic.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2011, 04:20 am by Gopher »

sunnydaze

« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:48 pm »

In the same price range (used) you should look into the Eastern Electric Minimax CDP.  I know its discontinued, but it was supposed to have been fantastic.

It is excellent.  I had it in my system a few years back when I was assembling a system for a friend.  They are dirt cheap on AG now -- a great choice for a simple value based system, and the listener who prizes musicality over hi-fi sounds.

For simplicity and SQ, I am partial to single box players w tube outputs.  I have also had the following in my system and rec them all for great toobalicious analog-like sound and value:

Audio Aero Prima
Cary 308-t
Metronome CD2V Signature

All are older and/or discontinued so they can be had for great prices on AG.

The Metronome has been a mainstay in my system since 2002.  Still preforming like a champ w/o a single glitch.  Just can't replace it, no matter how hard I try!     :thumb:

I have also owned some good SS players (Resolution Audio CD55,  Theta Miles, Consonance Linear 120, Arcam CD-33) but I would take any of the tubed ones over these.