Jolida JD-100a: Old but Still Great?

Mass. Wine Guy

Re: Jolida JD-100a: Old but Still Great?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:31 pm »
How much is dirt cheap?

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:03 pm »
Hey Mr Darth-- if you don't mind,,did you upgrade it yourself?Reason I ask,,a friend of mine has one--re-clocked/upgraded as yours,,and IIRC I think he upgraded the output caps to mundorfs,,I've been looking for one of these.Pretty fantastic unit too,,thanks for posting a pic.

Heck no!! I probably would have electrocuted myself!! The mod was done in 2004. The guy used Multicaps and Blackgates and the LC Audio XO power supply for the digital side. I'm leavining the RFT tubes, Herbies HAL-O dampers and the HiFi Tunning fuse. The unit was $950 and the Mod was $505, total $1455.00. It's going on Audiogon for $525 which includes ground shipping and 3% paypal fee. Such a deal.

sunnydaze

« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:47 am »
How much is dirt cheap?

Three years ago I helped two newbie friends assemble systems.  Paid $550 for the EE cdp, and $850 for the Cary 308-T -- both on AG.  They both still have them and enjoy them very much.  Both reliable, no glitches.

I think I paid about $1000 used for the Audio Aero Prima (version 2??) about 8 years ago.  Will be much cheaper now....$500 to $800 range, my guess, depending on which "version" you get.

I rarely see my Metronome CD-2v "Sig" on AG.  The 1V and the 1V "sig" are slightly more common, but even they are getting scarce.   These models are getting old now, but I don't care, they still sound great!  I suppose the concern is over moving parts -- transport, laser, etc.  Mine has many thousands of hrs on it and still functions perfectly.   My guess is between $500 and $1000 used for all 1V and 2V models.

If they are functional and reliable, the SQ will be excellent at these prices, and I believe beat more recent offerings at same price point and beyond -- in my experience and IMHO, of course.

Gopher

« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:15 am »
I've heard Sunny's Metronome and its really friggin' musically satisfying.  If the opportunity presented itself to pick one up, I would highly recommend doing so over the Jolida.  My jaw dropped when he played Ray Lamontagne's "You Can Bring Me Flowers".  VERY good digital.   

Its a tubed output CDP?  I didn't realize that. 

elmalloc

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:16 am »
I miss mine, paid $500 for it. Paired it with a tube amp and it was spectacular.

sunnydaze

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:38 am »
I miss mine, paid $500 for it. Paired it with a tube amp and it was spectacular.

$500 for a CD-2V "Signature"??!!!!!!       :o

Friggin incredible price!   Nothing will touch it there, and very few at double and triple.

Yeah Fred, it's tubed output.  A pair of 6N1P.  Earlier versions employed the 6922.

dangerbird

« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2011, 10:03 am »
Heck no!! I probably would have electrocuted myself!! The mod was done in 2004. The guy used Multicaps and Blackgates and the LC Audio XO power supply for the digital side. I'm leavining the RFT tubes, Herbies HAL-O dampers and the HiFi Tunning fuse. The unit was $950 and the Mod was $505, total $1455.00. It's going on Audiogon for $525 which includes ground shipping and 3% paypal fee. Such a deal.

Pending a top shot with the cover off--I'll take it plase sir,,I'm assuming there are no mechanical/electronic issues?
Thank you kindly.

dangerbird

« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:19 am »
Well it's easy to pick out the blackgates

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:12 pm »

sunnydaze

« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2011, 04:55 pm »
This seems great. Should I pull the trigger?:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1309226797&/Eastern-Electric-Minimax-tube-CD

I would.  But you already know that.     :lol:

In the 500 bux range for a one box player you will be hard pressed to find something that looks as nice, is built as well, and most importantly, sounds as good!

djbnh

« Reply #30 on: 3 May 2011, 10:13 am »
I found the Jolida works best with an upgraded power cord (I found the bass tightened up considerably), upgraded tubes (NOS JHS Gold Label Sylvania 5751WA triple mica black plates are my top choice; NOS GE JG 5751 triple mica black plates worked well, too), and some sound dampening / isolation (Vibrapods, etc). Is the unit perfect in its sound reproduction? No. Was it great value for the relatively low $ when I bought it new years ago? To me it's been so and still is, keeps the toes tapping and head bobbing. Remember that it probably takes about 20-30 minutes for the unit / tubes to warm up so it can sound its best. FYI - the hefty remote can be used as a weapon if needed. I haven't used the Jolida as a transport but am considering that in light of the DAC crazy goodness abounding these days. YMMV.

dangerbird

« Reply #31 on: 3 May 2011, 11:23 am »
I would not wait too long on the EE,,they seem to go pretty quickly, and the price does seem right.Good luck--keep us posted.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #32 on: 3 May 2011, 11:53 am »
This particular seller has three negative feedbacks, so I'm not going to reward him. Another unit will turn up.