PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?

mboxler

Re: PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?
« Reply #100 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:41 pm »
... Also will need a DC plug adapter from standard 2.5mm to the little one on the i20.

What size is the DC plug on the i-20? 

BTW...these are on sale on Amazon for $85.99.

http://www.amazon.com/PURE-i-20-30-Pin-iPhone-Speaker/dp/B0049MOK92

Mike

JohnR

« Reply #101 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:34 pm »
What size is the DC plug on the i-20? 

I guess it's 1.3mm, as I used one of these:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PA3700

I like the idea of removing the internal regulator and supply 5V directly.

geowak

« Reply #102 on: 18 Nov 2012, 04:04 pm »
This has been the best budget device I have purchased in a long time. Compares to the Magnepan MMG for value. Despite the video/audio noise as stated. When you use this as an audio only device and output to an external DAC, it fairs very well.

acresm22

« Reply #103 on: 21 Dec 2012, 12:44 am »
One problem though. I has stopped working! It will not run the music from my iPhone 4s to my music system. The music only comes out through the little speaker in the phone itself. I emailed the company on Dec. 20/11 to report this and have not heard back from them. I followed up today with another email. I'm very disappointed, as I've only had the unit for a little over 2 weeks. I guess this will get resolved eventually.

Mike

I had the same problem with mine...stopped working after about six months. I went on the Pure website alerted their service department...received a response in a few days and they promptly sent out a new power supply. That didn't fix it, so they then sent out a new i-20.
While I was obviously disappointed the i-20 failed after only six months, I am very impressed with the Pure online service center. The new one sounds like a champ.

carusoracer

« Reply #104 on: 28 Dec 2012, 03:25 pm »
Hello,

What is the work around to run the iPad4 with the Pure i 20 Docking Station's 30 pin connector? :scratc

carusoracer

« Reply #105 on: 28 Dec 2012, 03:29 pm »
Anyone try the Teralink X2 powersupply?

I'm not quite so versed to create a battery operated unit.

srb

« Reply #106 on: 28 Dec 2012, 03:52 pm »
What is the work around to run the iPad4 with the Pure i 20 Docking Station's 30 pin connector?

You would need a Lightning to 30-pin adapter
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

The specifications say it supports analog audio and USB audio.  I'm assuming the digital audio connection to the i-20 is via USB as the only digital connections referred to in the 30-pin pinout are for USB and FireWire.

It (a) won't pass the video signal and (b) is not guaranteed to work with all dock accessories.  The Lightning connector is a lot smaller and may not have the desired physical support for an iPad in conjuction with an adapter and might work better with a cable.

As always, there are other third-party adapters available for substantially less than the $29 Apple adapter, but the quality is usually unknown.

Steve

carusoracer

« Reply #107 on: 28 Dec 2012, 04:55 pm »
Looks like I would need the one with some cord length to it. I don't think the Dock can support the weight of the iPad4.

Thanks,

Any good after market vendors supporting the Lightning conversion?

srb

« Reply #108 on: 28 Dec 2012, 05:10 pm »
Any good after market vendors supporting the Lightning conversion?

I may have been incorrect in saying that after market vendors have these adapters available, it may only be Apple for right now.

Here is an article from Macworld with some additional information on possible limitations, such as charging for one:  Hands on with Apple's Lightning to 30-pin Adapters

Not a lot of information concerning the adapter and the Pure i-20, but on a HiFiWigwam forum one poster reported that "Some bloke on Head-fi has tried the adaptor with his Pure i20 and it works."

Steve

mboxler

« Reply #109 on: 28 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm »
Anyone try the Teralink X2 powersupply?

I'm not quite so versed to create a battery operated unit.

Hi...

Vinnie (Red Wine Audio) feels this wouldn't do much (see post #98), since he says there is a 5V SMPS internally anyway.  I'm tempted to try his 12 V battery idea, though.  Just need a proper plug...already have a battery.   Still would like to dissect one, remove the internal SMPS, and hook up a 5V linear externally.

Mike

carusoracer

« Reply #110 on: 3 Jan 2013, 09:16 pm »
Please post how it turns out. I'm interested...

I have a Teralink unit coming, if it is ever released from Hong Kong :roll:

cab

« Reply #111 on: 4 Jan 2013, 12:43 am »
Any idea what dac chip is used in the ipure?

srb

« Reply #112 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:32 am »
Any idea what dac chip is used in the ipure?

I believe that the Pure i-20 uses a Cirrus Logic CS4353 DAC chip.

Steve

kbuzz3

« Reply #113 on: 5 Jan 2013, 09:18 pm »
Anyone compared this unit to straight up to external dacs.  I recently started using mine again after selling my dac and have to say im somewhat impressed with its sound from the internal dac and for the price its a no brainer

carusoracer

« Reply #114 on: 10 Jan 2013, 05:09 am »
Can anyone verify the adapter size for the Teradak unit:

1.3mm DC PLUG TO
2.5mm DC SOCKET?

Unit arrived today and I forgot about the adapter to plug it into the Power Supply :duh: :evil:

Would any local box type stores carry the adapter or do I have to order online?
Also how do I turn the voltage down to 7?

Thanks!

My I Pure,really keeps improving in sound quality

« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2013, 04:32 pm by carusoracer »

carusoracer

« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:19 pm »
A little early to tell for sure, but the Teradak is a very good sounding power source for this Dock :thumb:

geowak

« Reply #116 on: 13 Jan 2013, 09:26 pm »
Carusoracer

Which Teradak model did you get for your I-20? And how have you configured a PS cord to interface and power the unit?
Which cord?

Thanks William

carusoracer

« Reply #117 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm »
Carusoracer

Which Teradak model did you get for your I-20? And how have you configured a PS cord to interface and power the unit?
Which cord?

Thanks William

Hi William,

I'm using the Teradak X2/X1. From A&B Systems out of Hong Kong Kong. He has an eBay Store.

JohnR assisted, basically you get the unit shipped in a nice looking little package.

I ordered from Jamesco an adapter that is 1.3mm to to 2.5mm. The unit is supplied with a short power cord. Plug the adapter into the power cord and then into the back of the I Pure.  You'll need a Powercord to plug into the ac receptacle and then into your ac source.  I did not use any special Powercord but may try later.

The Voltage was then turned down to 7.5v after removal of the cover and turning down the screw on the pot located on the board.

I'm streaming Pandora quite a bit and using for iTunes form my phone. This is a nice little upgrade and the dynamics have improved after 35 hrs.  You should try it :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #118 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:39 pm »
Not wanting to deal with the new connector, I bought a used iPod Touch, 4th gen, to replace my dead iPhone.

Interestingly, the volume control no longer works. On analog out that is, I didn't try digital out. It's not like it's the end of the world but that was a rather handy feature. Perhaps it's just the change to ios6 with the new device... anyway has anyone else experienced this?

carusoracer

« Reply #119 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:56 pm »
I have to say that my dock is quite finicky when it comes to recognizing the iPhone and the volume level.

My work around is not a solution to the problem:  I unplug and plug it back in, usually several times, but I make sure and manually turn up the volume to full and then plug it back on the dock. If it doe not register the full volume setting when I plug it back in then I have to repeat.

Does not make much sense but I suspect it is something to do with the actual connection of the power plug and or plug adaptor. My adaptor plug is shorter in length then one supplied by Pure.

Not wanting to deal with the new connector, I bought a used iPod Touch, 4th gen, to replace my dead iPhone.

Interestingly, the volume control no longer works. On analog out that is, I didn't try digital out. It's not like it's the end of the world but that was a rather handy feature. Perhaps it's just the change to ios6 with the new device... anyway has anyone else experienced this?