PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: PURE i-20, iPhone/iPod Dock - How did I miss this?
« Reply #60 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:59 pm »
How about a wireless dock?

I was just about to buy an i-20 for my Ipod Touch (4th gen)until...  I found that with Apple TV ($99, same as the i-20) I can stream wireless music @ 16/44 rez from the Itouch to Apple TV with AirPlay.  The Apple TV connects to my DAC via toslink. 

This sounds like a pretty slick ipod connection to me.  Navigating music with Itouch in hand is way better than sticking it in a dock and remoting it from across the room.  It does however require a home wifi network. Anyone tried it?

Russ

mcgsxr

« Reply #61 on: 3 Feb 2012, 07:33 pm »
I am using an Audioengine W2 - the transmitter plugs into your iPod (I am using a Touch).  The receiver plugs into your home stereo.  It creates its own 2.4GHz wireless cloud, and without anything else can play anything on your iPod to your stereo.  I am using it at home, and intend to use it in my car (as the head unit, connected directly to the amps).  $99.

acresm22

« Reply #62 on: 29 Feb 2012, 06:00 pm »
My i-20 arrived last week...ordered from JR Music thru Amazon for $89 with free shipping.
Love this thing. It's my first foray into discless audio. I use mine with an ipod touch 8gb, and I stream apple lossless files wirelessly from my PC itunes library using home sharing. Really a slick little device, and sounds wonderful.

cody69

« Reply #63 on: 3 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm »
How about a wireless dock?

I was just about to buy an i-20 for my Ipod Touch (4th gen)until...  I found that with Apple TV ($99, same as the i-20) I can stream wireless music @ 16/44 rez from the Itouch to Apple TV with AirPlay.  The Apple TV connects to my DAC via toslink. 

This sounds like a pretty slick ipod connection to me.  Navigating music with Itouch in hand is way better than sticking it in a dock and remoting it from across the room.  It does however require a home wifi network. Anyone tried it?

Russ

I don't use the Apple TV, but do have several of the Airport Express units to stream music wirelessly from iPad, iPhone and mac mini, and I find it great. Maybe you'd want to open up a discussion on the Apple Core forum to discuss further -- don't want to hi-jack this fine thread.

BrassEar

« Reply #64 on: 27 Mar 2012, 12:00 am »
Glad so many of you are enjoying this $99 dock as much as I am.

Yes, the remote is weak and its battery dies quickly. I have the dock at my listening chair with long cables so the crummy remote is not an issue.

Yes, the DAC can be bested but as what price? I have a little NOS DAC (discovered on another thread here) that gives this DAC a challenge but I still state that this DAC is amazing for the money.  I continue to take this dock/DAC to various high end systems and most audiophools are stunned.

I have also swapped various 7.5 V supplies and I don't hear much of a difference.

JohnR

« Reply #65 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:05 am »
Yes, the remote is weak and its battery dies quickly. I have the dock at my listening chair with long cables so the crummy remote is not an issue.

FWIW, the Apple Remote works with the i-20, sort-of - it works for play/pause, track forward and back, and volume. The menu button doesn't do anything though, so you can't use it to select albums or playlists. (As far as I can tell, this is how the Apple dock behaves too.)

Well, I should say that I'm using the remote that came with 2nd gen Apple TV, but I believe it's the same as the one I linked above. Does anyone have an Apple remote to try with the i-20 to confirm?

To my surprise, the remote also started playback on my Mac Mini. I thought it was not supported in Lion, how about that.

JohnR

« Reply #66 on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:55 pm »

Yes, but not directly against an i-20. I suppose I could do that if it was really of interest. The Apple TV (2nd gen) resamples everything to 48 kHz. Don't know if the 3g does or not.

acresm22

« Reply #67 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:21 pm »
Progress report. This is not about the i-20 per se, but I'm finding the "home sharing" app connecting the ipod touch to the itunes library on my pc to be glitchy at best. Most of the time my ipod won't connect. And it's not about the strength of my wireless signal. Even if I have the ipod in the same room as the router, it doesn't connect.

mikeeastman

« Reply #68 on: 18 Apr 2012, 08:03 pm »
I have an I-20 in my wife kitchen system and the remote from my 2010 Mac book Pro works fine, personally I like it much more than I-20 remote. The system actually sounds pretty good, definitely beats the 90s Rat Shack mono ghetto blaster/ karaoke machine she was using. :duh:

Nocturne79

« Reply #69 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:41 pm »
Hey all,

I have been using the i-20 for a number of months and I am loving this little unit.  I mainly use it as a transport for my itouch into my AVA dac.  The price sold me on it, though I dont really use the remote as someone said I have a long cable to where I sit lol.

enjoy all this is a great unit

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #70 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:30 pm »
I still like my i20 dock but I have a nit to pick.

It randomly and mysteriously causes my ipod touch and iphone to reboot themselves. :scratch:

This is especially annoying when it happens midsong.

JohnR

« Reply #71 on: 28 Apr 2012, 03:47 am »
I can imagine that would be very annoying... hasn't happened to mine (yet, anyway). Only gripe so far is the noise when adjusting volume via remote. Also, it's rather slow.

murphy11

« Reply #72 on: 30 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm »
I picked one of these up last week and am really enjoying it. Have a Ptech P3a in storage that I thought I'd compare to the i-20 DAC. Thought it would be plug and play but no sound :( The P3a has a green imput signal lit but no sound - any ideas?

JohnR

« Reply #73 on: 1 May 2012, 12:27 am »
I picked one of these up last week and am really enjoying it. Have a Ptech P3a in storage that I thought I'd compare to the i-20 DAC. Thought it would be plug and play but no sound :( The P3a has a green imput signal lit but no sound - any ideas?

Just to check - the volume isn't all the way down by any chance? (Volume does operate on the digital outs, I'm not sure how exactly.)

murphy11

« Reply #74 on: 1 May 2012, 02:58 am »
Just to check - the volume isn't all the way down by any chance? (Volume does operate on the digital outs, I'm not sure how exactly.)
I will try that and and  maybe play some different formats tomorrow MP3, pandora, lossless etc. Thanks for the feedback.

decal

« Reply #75 on: 1 Jun 2012, 08:46 pm »
Okay, after reading all the positive posts about this thing I bought one. I've been listening to it for about a week now and I can truthfully say that this is by far the best 100 bucks I've ever spent in this hobby. No, it's not going to replace my SACD/CD or Vinyl rigs but what I bought it for (background music) it is the proverbial "Cat's Pajamas". :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

polishpowerlifter

« Reply #76 on: 13 Jul 2012, 01:27 am »
The i20 is amazing for the price, a little shill at the top end but id say very dynamic has about half the PRat of my Naim DAC i owned...like really... :duh:

Andre2

« Reply #77 on: 14 Jul 2012, 01:44 am »
I was just doing some A/B comparison between the i-20 and the Pioneer CDP DV-45A transport, both going into an Easter Electric Minimax DAC Plus, and both sources sounded very similar; I could not hear a difference.

I listened A/B to:
- Phil Keaggy - The Wind and the Wheat
- Willie Nelson - Blues Crying in the Rain, Blue Skies

JohnR

« Reply #78 on: 8 Aug 2012, 03:57 pm »
I've had this put aside for a while. My life seems to be plagued with hissy spitty little plugpacks (I mean audibly so) and the one that came with the i20 was another one. I finally got around to getting a couple of those Teradak linear power supplies and bam.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #79 on: 8 Aug 2012, 06:16 pm »
I've had this put aside for a while. My life seems to be plagued with hissy spitty little plugpacks (I mean audibly so) and the one that came with the i20 was another one. I finally got around to getting a couple of those Teradak linear power supplies and bam.

Where did you get it?