FS: Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference II...very rare! (NOT 3.x) - SOLD!

JP78

I just got the medical bill for co-pay on my shoulder surgery...and will need to sell my entire system. It looks like my Sennheisers will be all I have for a while. I also will be posting a CAL Alpha DAC (sold), Apple TV (pending), Airport Express, Tec*On amplifier shortly.

For sale is my beloved pair of Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference...highly desirable black on black color. They have Barcelona stands and are made out of spun aluminum (not vinyl like the older ones)...I will try to post photos in a bit. These have two Dynaudio Bassballs and a CDT tweeter on top.

Features the famous CDT tweeter and custom Dynaudio mid/woofers; also a crossover-less design. Gallo stopped making these because they were just too expensive to produce.

I much prefer these to the 3.0 and 3.1 (haven't heard the 3.5). Smooth, incredibly dynamic, and truly full-range. Also, they have amazing imaging and a *very* wide sweet spot (zero diffraction and 330 degree tweeter dispersion). Some speakers while not the best at anything just let you sit back and listen to music. I will say, while these have some of the best treble available, they just let you kick back and enjoy. Also dual Tiffany binding posts for bi-wire / bi-amp capable. The spun aluminum design also makes them manageable at < 50 lbs per side; a very elegant solution solving several cabinet resonance and weight problems simultaneously. I currently power them with a 5W SET amp, and they sound amazing.

I do have the original boxes and I believe a xerox of the original manual (will check on the manual, 100% sure I have the boxes).

Specs:
- 36"H x 12"W x 14"D
- tweeter: second-generation CDT tweeter
- woofers: custom Dynaudio 17W75 XL (qty 2)
- 90 dB/w/m sensitivity, 4 ohm nominal impedance
- NO crossover
- frequency range 26Hz - 28kHz (-3dB point)
- drivers transition @ 2kHz
- approx 40lbs / speaker
- 300 degree + full-range dispersion

Reviews (searched for bad ones, couldn't find any):
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/gallo-acoustics/nucleus-reference/PRD_120941_1594crx.aspx
http://www.roundsound.com/gallo-historical-reviews.htm
http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spheres.htm
http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/gallons.htm

Condition is a 9/10, even the 9 is only for age. No dings, dents, scratches, blemishes, anything I can see. I will go through these with a fine-tooth comb and update.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask. A local pickup / audition is always welcome in Chicago.

I am the second owner; the original owner sold these to me as he had upgraded to Dali Megalines ($50K+ I believe). MSRP was $4,500 in 2002, and at that price they were not profitable any longer for the manufacturer. When being produced they were widely regarded as cost-no-object speakers, and a bargain under $10,000.

I will sell these for $SOLD!

Shipping estimates are $100 - $160 in the continental U.S.A. including full insurance of the pair price per box

Best,

EDIT: phone camera photo added!
« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 09:01 pm by JP78 »

JP78

To respond to several inquiries:

- These speakers ship assembled per side. Unlike the earlier Nucleus versions, these speakers are truly plug-n-play as soon as you receive them.

- Shipping: there are two original boxes, each box is 16" x 20" x 46". Shipping weight is 48LBS / box

- I will ship worldwide at the purchaser's expense.

More reviews:
http://www.roundsound.com/gallo-historical-reviews.htm

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 09:01 pm by JP78 »

JP78

Up!

Here's a link to the newer (inferior) version made by Gallo for $3k:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo11/2.html

Why inferior?
- The Ref II uses the best Dynaudio woofers available, not ones made in China
- The Ref II CDT tweeter has 330 degrees of dispersion, as opposed to 180.
- The Ref II has a superior aluminum cabinet with zero diffraction or baffle step compensation...no compromising MDF here
- The Ref II has zero crossover for the shorter signal path and no dynamics lost
- The Ref II weighs much less, is easier to ship and move around in the room and personally I prefer the aesthetics.

JohnR

Might help to highlight your asking price - it was hard to find buried several paragraphs down.

sunnydaze

Years ago, I owned a pair of these in Champagne Gold.  Very nice speaker, good luck w the sale!     :thumb:

PS:   I could be mistaken but I believe the orig MSRP was $4500.

JP78

John - Thanks for the tip! Done.

sunnydaze - They're sweet ones; I'm confident I will purchase them again one day. BTW love the champagne finish...do you have any photos? :)

sunnydaze

sunnydaze - They're sweet ones; I'm confident I will purchase them again one day. BTW love the champagne finish...do you have any photos? :)

I probably do, but I'd have to dig around for them.  Man, it was a long time ago, and many speakers since!      :roll:      :lol:

I also had them in silver.  Sold them to a local buddy when the Champagne ones appeared.  I prefer both these to the black.

PS:  good luck in buying them back in the future.  I hardly ever see them anymore.

joeyd

Any chance for a pdf of the manual or even just a spec sheet? I can't seem to find much info on the reference II.

JP78

Any chance for a pdf of the manual or even just a spec sheet? I can't seem to find much info on the reference II.

joeyd - Gallo has a way of cannibalizing all non-current model information from their website.

Here's what I do have for you:

- 36"H x 12"W x 14"D
- tweeter: second-generation CDT tweeter
- woofers: custom Dynaudio 17W75 XL (qty 2)
- 90 dB/w/m sensitivity, 4 ohm nominal impedance
- NO crossover
- approx 40lbs / speaker
- frequency range 26Hz - 28kHz (-3dB point)
- drivers transition @ 2kHz

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best,

JP78

More rave reviews of the little brother to the Reference, the Solo (identical tweeter + stands, one less Bassball per side).

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spheres.htm

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/gallons.htm

tnewell

I owned a pair of these for 10 years and loved them.  I sometimes regret that I sold them.

These had flat bass response down to 25hz in my large listening room!!  Huge soundstage!!

Brings back fond memories.

Someone needs to snap these up.

Good luck!

JP78

Re: FS: Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference II...very rare! (NOT 3.x!)
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2011, 09:18 pm »
I owned a pair of these for 10 years and loved them.  I sometimes regret that I sold them.

These had flat bass response down to 25hz in my large listening room!!  Huge soundstage!!

Brings back fond memories.

Someone needs to snap these up.

Good luck!

I absolutely regret having to sell them; it took me eight months to find this pair that is in mint condition.

Also, a quick update, but UPS quoted me between $100-160 to ship these in the continental U.S., and that is with full insurance per box.

« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 09:02 pm by JP78 »

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2011, 09:54 pm »
It pains me that someone has to sell them, but it makes me happy that someone will get to buy them.  I just have the one ball version [insert crude joke here] and I will not dare sell mine.  In fact, I may start doing shoulder exercises right now.  They are better than the new 3.x saucepan version in a side-by-side comparison.  You know how they say that round is the theoretical best cabinet design?  Yeah, well that's no lie!  I am not sure if the cylinder is the theoretical best design for a tweeter, but it sure sounds that way.

These speakers sound better than my room can make them sound too, in a bigger room they suddenly belched forth profound bass which they callously keep from me in their normal slovenly headquarters.  And if that's not enough they look freakin' cool too.  It's a pity they aren't made anymore.  Such a simple and beautiful design.  Shame on you, Gallo!

galyons

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2011, 11:03 pm »
I just have the one ball version [insert crude joke here] and I will not dare sell mine.  In fact, I may start doing shoulder exercises right now. 

I have the Solo's, as well.  Simple, eloquent design.  Unfortunately high cost of manufacture made the Nucleus range  profit challenged. Wish I could swing these.  They will make someone very happy!

Cheers,
Geary

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2011, 11:44 pm »
I probably do, but I'd have to dig around for them.  Man, it was a long time ago, and many speakers since!      :roll:      :lol:

I also had them in silver.  Sold them to a local buddy when the Champagne ones appeared.  I prefer both these to the black.

PS:  good luck in buying them back in the future.  I hardly ever see them anymore.

I bought John's pair and absolutely loved them!

They sounded fantastic with tubes and could rock out with only ~20 watts!!

Here are some pics:

If the timing was better for me, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Good luck with the sale.

George

sunnydaze

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2011, 04:52 pm »

Hey...thanks for the pics George.  Couldn't find mine!   Good times and good memories, eh?     :thumb:

Listen up potential buyers, just because they're old doesn't mean they ain't good.  I've had many speaker since, but these have made a lasting impression.  If the WAF was better, I'm sure Gallo would have sold many more pair.  Based on SQ alone, he should have.  Great speaker.

JP78

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2011, 06:26 pm »
I bought John's pair and absolutely loved them!

They sounded fantastic with tubes and could rock out with only ~20 watts!!

Here are some pics:

If the timing was better for me, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Good luck with the sale.

George

Thank you everyone for the kind notes. It's difficult for me to convey just how non-compromising these speakers are. I'm not saying that $1700 is not a lot of money (especially considering how much I need it), but what I am saying is that these speakers may well outperform $10,000 speakers in your favorite local audio salon.

zybar - Thanks for the photos! The gold finish is one of my favorites and I find them stunning. In my particular situation, black was better suited since it was a hybrid A/V setup and I didn't want to be distracted from the television by staring at such amazing looking speakers. :)

sunnydaze - You're absolutely right about how current these speakers are.  I think it's important to note that both the CDT tweeter and Dynaudio woofers (since there's no crossover) that make up the Ref II are still in production as of today, albeit in slightly varied cosmetics.  These are not 'vintage' or 'dated' speakers; make no mistake the sound is very good and very modern. What's no longer possible to get are the enclosures, which for so many reasons are perfect.

JP78

SOLD!

These are going to a great home. As discussed, will get the labels printed up tomorrow and make sure they go out as soon as the pending PayPal transfer clears.

Thanks!

joeyd

Looking forward to hearing them.

Thanks,

joeyd

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Glad to see that you pulled the trigger Joe.

I hope you enjoy the speakers.

George