FS: Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference II...very rare! (NOT 3.x) - SOLD!

galyons

Glad to see that you pulled the trigger Joe.

I hope you enjoy the speakers.

George

+1,
Geary

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Though I love my Ref 3.5's, I do miss my Ref II's. I guess after 10 years together, some sentimental attachments do form ;)

sunnydaze

Though I love my Ref 3.5's, I do miss my Ref II's. I guess after 10 years together, some sentimental attachments do form ;)

Since you've owned both, which one do you think sounds better, and why?

I have never come across another Ref2 owner, and certainly not one who replaced it with the 3.x.  Inquiring minds wanna know.     :scratch:

Thanks!

John

JP78

Like you, the previous owner before me kept his speakers for 8+ years. The Gallos have a way of sticking around. :)

On a separate note, the speakers are on their way to a good home. A couple days ago I had a final listening session of Kind of Blue, Rach #2, and OK Computer. I don't want to speak for the next owner, but I won't be surprised in the least if he is awestruck in comparison his current Strata Minis.

Best,

sunnydaze

It's a serious step up in SQ.  Given where he's coming from, he should be blown away -- assuming Ref 2's synergize OK w his amp.

JP78

It's a serious step up in SQ.  Given where he's coming from, he should be blown away -- assuming Ref 2's synergize OK w his amp.

Agreed. He's running an Emotiva right now; which I think will be just fine. The next step is to insert some tubes into the equation.   8)

Maybe it's just me, but these really do well with a SET or OTL amplifier; a few months ago a buddy brought over an Atma Sphere MA-60 and I still haven't forgotten that synergistic bliss.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Agreed. He's running an Emotiva right now; which I think will be just fine. The next step is to insert some tubes into the equation.   8)

Maybe it's just me, but these really do well with a SET or OTL amplifier; a few months ago a buddy brought over an Atma Sphere MA-60 and I still haven't forgotten that synergistic bliss.

Yep, Atma-Sphere and Gallo speakers is a great match!

George

galyons

Rogue Audio Magnum Mono150's; Golden Tube Audio SE40 mono blocks, Scott 222C, Scott 299C, Fisher X1000...Modern or vintage the Gallo Nucleus' love tubes!!

Cheers,
Geary

joeyd

Follow up from the lucky buyer here

First I want to thank the many people that shared their opinions on these speakers in the public replys and also through PMs.

As a relative newcomer to the world of higher end sound, I have been blown away by the performance of the Gallos on music and even movies (does great phantom center by the way). I have been powering them with two channels of an Emotiva XPA-5 with an UMC-1 as the processor. The Gallos are more I would say cohesive than my previous speakers meaning there is a smooth transition without any saturation nor lackness from the highest of the highs to the impressively low lows. They sound great with music from classical, country, hard rock, to rap. The bass line is especially and fast and detailed and it blows my mind it is coming from only 6.5" drivers. I believe I've met my perfect speaker match.

JP78

Joe,

Glad to hear it. It's always good to know that a good fit from the point of the seller translates well to to the buyer as well. The speakers are incredibly involving; I'm sure you will find they will continue to impress you as your front end improves. Please keep us posted!