Rega RB300 & VPI JMW 9 Tonearms

bside123

Rega RB300 & VPI JMW 9 Tonearms
« on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:33 pm »
Hi: I recently acquired a VPI Aires Scout with a JMW 9 tonearm and HRX Feet. The price was right, so I just couldn't resist (refuse). Like many of us, I've got the "affliction" which ends up in lots of gear.

I have a few systems set up. In one of my secondary systems, I thought I would swap out my Nottingham Horizon SE TT (upgraded model with the outboard motor) with the VPI Aires Scout. Installed on the Nottingham is a modified Rega RB300 tonearm with both the Incognito Rewire and Origin Live Mods.

Then I got to thinking (dangerous), both the RB300 and the JMW 9 are 9" tonearms and began wondering, "Are they drop-in replacements for each other?" I have been also wondering in general terms, "Are the upgraded RB300 and the stock JMW 9 comparable in quality and sound reproduction?" Unfortunately, I don't have the space and configuration to be able to set both of them up at the same time for an A/B comparison.

I am currently listening to the VPI table with a Clearaudio Maestro MI Cartridge. It sure sounds good, and I haven't even finished fine tuning the set-up. And I've got to say... the Nottingham with the upgraded RB300 sounded extremely sweet and very satisfying.

Any thoughts or contributions to my musings? Much appreciated and best regards!  8)
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2011, 02:27 am by bside123 »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Rega RB300 & VPI JMW 9 Tonearms
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2011, 10:51 pm »
Hi,
Sounds like fun. The mounting distance and hole size for the Rega is 222mm spindle to mounting hole center. I believe the hole is 3/4". Some people move this up to around 219mm to achieve a more desirable cart alignment. The arm is actually a little longer than 9". Many 9" arms are mounted at 211mm, the standard Linn geometry. They have an effective length of 229mm.

I have no idea what the mounting distance or hole size is for the JMW. I'm sure you could find out easily enough without removing your arm. Just call VPI. Good luck with your new table. I love the look of those. Sounds like a terrific score. BTW, the Maestro is a MM cart, unless they made some radical change.  :wink:
neo

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2011, 11:18 pm »
The VPI is a Rega distance, 222.

Paul

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm »
Hi,
Sounds like fun. The mounting distance and hole size for the Rega is 222mm spindle to mounting hole center. I believe the hole is 3/4". Some people move this up to around 219mm to achieve a more desirable cart alignment. The arm is actually a little longer than 9". Many 9" arms are mounted at 211mm, the standard Linn geometry. They have an effective length of 229mm.

I have no idea what the mounting distance or hole size is for the JMW. I'm sure you could find out easily enough without removing your arm. Just call VPI. Good luck with your new table. I love the look of those. Sounds like a terrific score. BTW, the Maestro is a MM cart, unless they made some radical change.  :wink: neo

Thanks for the specs, Neo. I'll put them to use. Since the JMW 9 is already mounted, it won't be difficult to measure from the spindle to the uni-pivot. BTW, the Clearaudio Maestro is listed by Clearaudio as a "Moving Iron Cartridge" as opposed to a Moving Magnet. Moving Iron is standard on Clearaudio's Virtuoso and Masestro Cartridges... no radical change that I know of.

Again, thanks for your post!

bastlnut

• just make my jaw drop!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2011, 01:41 pm »
hallo,

from what i have heard, the VPI tonearms and the Rega tonearms use the same mounting distance and hole size.
not that it matters, as the VPI tonearms are considerably better. Rega RB 300 and RB 250 are just budget arms and no where near the quality of the VPI.
if you prefer a gimbal bearing, take a look at the Jelco 370 series tonearms. they use the same 222mm mounting distance and are not to sneeze at.

regards,
bas

bside123

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:08 pm »
hallo,

from what i have heard, the VPI tonearms and the Rega tonearms use the same mounting distance and hole size.
not that it matters, as the VPI tonearms are considerably better. Rega RB 300 and RB 250 are just budget arms and no where near the quality of the VPI.
if you prefer a gimbal bearing, take a look at the Jelco 370 series tonearms. they use the same 222mm mounting distance and are not to sneeze at.

regards,
bas

Gruetzi Bas! Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch, aber nicht Schwietzer Duutsch. Schwietzer Duutsch ist sehr musikalisch!

Bas thanks for your post. I agree that the RB250 as well as the RB300 are generally entry level tonearms, however the Incognito Rewire (from clips to connectors) and the Origin Live Mod (armtube and counterweight) really make the RB300 much better. Several companies have used the RB250 & RB300 as their base to create higher end tonearms. As in the case of the Swiss ETA 2824 watch movement, which is basic, high quality and fairly entry level, it can be turned into something extremely special. The modified RB300 on my Nottingham TT is considerably better than stock... maybe not as good as the VPI JMW 9!? There are a lot of tonearms that are much better. Tonearm and table matching are important too. Anyway, as long as the music is good! Best regards.

bastlnut

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:51 pm »
Gruetzi Bas! Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch, aber nicht Schwietzer Duutsch. Schwietzer Duutsch ist sehr musikalisch!

Bas thanks for your post. I agree that the RB250 as well as the RB300 are generally entry level tonearms, however the Incognito Rewire (from clips to connectors) and the Origin Live Mod (armtube and counterweight) really make the RB300 much better. Several companies have used the RB250 & RB300 as their base to create higher end tonearms. As in the case of the Swiss ETA 2824 watch movement, which is basic, high quality and fairly entry level, it can be turned into something extremely special. The modified RB300 on my Nottingham TT is considerably better than stock... maybe not as good as the VPI JMW 9!? There are a lot of tonearms that are much better. Tonearm and table matching are important too. Anyway, as long as the music is good! Best regards.
hallo Bside,
englisch...
we can post in German, Swiss German, France, Spanisch, .......egal.
i would take a RB700 over a RB300 rewired and whatever anyday.
add a Tecnoweight and Cardas wiring to a RB250/300 and it come close to the RB700.

freue ich mich doch das du doch noch experimentiersts.
ich werde sagen, das der Thorens TP90  ist immer noch besser ist als ein verbesserte RB300 oder 250.
an RB300 in any condition is still a budget tonearm regardless of any improvements that hvave bin done.
this Empire MC5M cartridge that i am now using is proving itself far superior to many cartridges that were thought to be bargains and far above.

regards,
bas

orientalexpress

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:20 pm »
i got an original Live Arm with original wiring which is look identical to RB250,what kinda of Modification i can do to it make really sing :)without breaking the bank.I'm thinking buying a Terres DIY turntable ,would this be a good match or should i buy better arm for this turntable.Thank you

lapsan

bside123

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:28 pm »
i got an original Live Arm with original wiring which is look identical to RB250,what kinda of Modification i can do to it make really sing :)without breaking the bank.I'm thinking buying a Terres DIY turntable ,would this be a good match or should i buy better arm for this turntable.Thank you
lapsan

Hi Lapsan,

This is a very wide open question. I guess it depends on which Origin Live Tonearm model you have. From what I've read, Origin Live uses Rega tonearms are their base for modifications. Maybe you can contact Origin Live directly to see if they have a upgrade path. Personally, I don't know anything about Terres TTs, but there are so many turntables out there in a reasonable price range. Maybe Bas from Switzerland has some experience, it seems by his post that he's used a lot of different tonearm and table combinations in his experiments. Best regards.

bastlnut

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:37 pm »
halllo,

an Origin Live budget toneram is still a budget toneram.
the Teres turntable sounds great, but i would source a better tonearm then just a budget one.
the tonearm is probably the most important component when buying a turntable.
buy a Graham tonearm for your Teres turntable. then get a top cartridge to go with the rest.

regards,
bas

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:42 pm »
just for a point of reference - o-l says their modded rb250 is better than even their modded rb900, due to bearing configuration.  so, if you are looking for a good modded rega arm w/o too much expenditure, stick to the rb250.

doug s.

bside123

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:18 pm »
Halo Bas,

Just curious... what's your opinion about the Graham Robin? I understand that it's basically a 9" tonearm and a drop-in replacement for the Rega. Any thoughts? Best regards.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:19 pm »
Thanks for the specs, Neo. I'll put them to use. Since the JMW 9 is already mounted, it won't be difficult to measure from the spindle to the uni-pivot. BTW, the Clearaudio Maestro is listed by Clearaudio as a "Moving Iron Cartridge" as opposed to a Moving Magnet. Moving Iron is standard on Clearaudio's Virtuoso and Masestro Cartridges... no radical change that I know of.

Again, thanks for your post!

I guess all you have to do check the hole size cause mounting distance is the same?  I'm not sure which Origin Live arm you have, the OL-1? It's said to be much better than a Rega, but I have no idea how much better. The more expensive Origin arms are well thought of. Whatever it is, it should be an interesting comparison. Please let us know what you think.

You must have been looking at a distributors web site, or maybe a typo. All the Clearaudio HO carts are moving magnets. They're made by Audio Technica. There's a thread a few pages back about stylus replacement and its distant cousin, the AT-95.
http://www.clearaudio.de/
Click on products, then click on tonabnehmer.
neo

Ericus Rex

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:22 pm »
This is the best modded Rega arm I've ever seen:

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

bside123

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:45 pm »
I guess all you have to do check the hole size cause mounting distance is the same?  I'm not sure which Origin Live arm you have, the OL-1? It's said to be much better than a Rega, but I have no idea how much better. The more expensive Origin arms are well thought of. Whatever it is, it should be an interesting comparison. Please let us know what you think.

You must have been looking at a distributors web site, or maybe a typo. All the Clearaudio HO carts are moving magnets. They're made by Audio Technica. There's a thread a few pages back about stylus replacement and its distant cousin, the AT-95.
http://www.clearaudio.de/
Click on products, then click on tonabnehmer.
neo

Neo,

Again, thanks for your post and correct information. My bad. I must have gotten the mis-info from a typo on a distributor site. Can't remember where, but my memory failed me. :duh:

Just as a point of clarification, my Rega is NOT a OL; it has an Origin Live Structural Mod to a OEM Rega RB300: http://www.tonearm.co.uk/tonearm.htm?panel=1

Yea. It will be interesting to compare. As I've fined tuned the set-up on the VPI Aires Scout w/ VPI JMW 9 & Clearaudio Maestro, I have to say that I am really enjoying it. Sounds quite a bit different than the Nottingham Horizon SE with the modified Rega RB-300....

more on that later.

Best regards.

Berndt

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:11 pm »
Lapsan, my friend Peter has a ukaudiomods rb250 and really likes it.
 I built one of his arms from his kit pieces and that is another option.
Not a super unipivot guy so tonearm choices for me are somewhat reduced. I would probably encourage you to try to increase your budget.

BPoletti

« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:47 pm »
just for a point of reference - o-l says their modded rb250 is better than even their modded rb900, due to bearing configuration.  so, if you are looking for a good modded rega arm w/o too much expenditure, stick to the rb250.

doug s.

Of course they'd say that.  Do you think they might have a bit of a financial interest?

But why would anyone get a Rega arm, even modified, when a Jelco SA-750D is a better arm at a better price? 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:10 pm »
Of course they'd say that.  Do you think they might have a bit of a financial interest?

But why would anyone get a Rega arm, even modified, when a Jelco SA-750D is a better arm at a better price?
i have no experience w/the jelco arm, so i can't comment on that.  but, o-l also offered mods for the rb600/700/900.  and, common sense would indicate that the rb250, w/bearings on both sides of the arm, would better respond to mods - it's a more stable platform.  so, why would they say that if not true - if anything, it would hurt their biz modding the spendier arms.  so, no, i don't see the financial interest...

doug s.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:13 pm »

I would guess that some of the modified Regas would be better with a Maestro than the 750. Some of the modifications are extensive though.
neo

bastlnut

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:56 pm »
Halo Bas,

Just curious... what's your opinion about the Graham Robin? I understand that it's basically a 9" tonearm and a drop-in replacement for the Rega. Any thoughts? Best regards.
hallo,

the Robin is pretty good.
take it over any Rega but the 1000 and that is saying a lot for a gimbal bearing tonearm.
the only other gimbal arms i like are the Micro Seiki and Grace, and an SEAC.
much prefer a unipivot and would recommend the Roksan Nima or the Nottingham arms as a Rega geometry replacement.
that is unless you can afford to get a Graham Phantom or used 2.2

regards,
bas