Upgrade from 7B-SST2 to 28B-SST2 ??

adol290

Upgrade from 7B-SST2 to 28B-SST2 ??
« on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm »
I have the opportunity to upgrade my L/R amps from a pair of 7B-SST2 to a pair
 of 28B-SST2. My dealer has offered me a real good deal on a trade in. Someone
 ordered the 28B's but didn't want them.

I would have to sell one of my Jl Audio f113's to help pay for it.

Would the upgrade to the 28B's, be worth it for my system.

My system consists of:

a pair of IB2i's for my L/R speakers, run with 7B-SST2's.
  a IB2i for my center, run with a 7B-SST2
  a pair of CB6i for surround, with a 4B-SST2
  a Pair of Jl Audio F113's
  a pair of Torus RM-20 Balanced

My room is 16.5'L x 16'w x 7.2 high

Here is a picture of my setup.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Upgrade from 7B-SST2 to 28B-SST2 ??
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2011, 11:38 pm »
NICE :thumb:

james

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:14 am »
Awesome system  :thumb:

The Bryston 28B SST² is a truly outstanding amplifier as is the 7B SST². The difference in performance between the two amplifiers would be in around the 5% percent range - to put a number on it. If you have an opportunity to pick up a pair of these beasties I would certainly recommend them.

Will your dealer let you bring them home for a test drive? That would be the best way to find out if the extra expense is worth it for you.

Be well…   

adol290

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:25 am »
Awesome system  :thumb:

Will your dealer let you bring them home for a test drive? That would be the best way to find out if the extra expense is worth it for you.

Be well…

Thanks for the complements...

They are still in the boxes, so I will not be able to test them.

Laundrew

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:34 am »
Perhaps it is now time for the proverbial leap of faith  :wink:

Either way, you can not go wrong. I am extremely happy with my Beasties and they are still full of surprises - simply breathtaking. I wish you all the best on your decision.

:D

Be well...

WBimmer

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:26 am »
As a very satisfied 28B-SST2 owner, I would have to say that if you can afford it, then you will be very happy with this upgrade.

I haven't heard the 7B's, but I had a 14B-SST2, which is essentially two 7B's on one chassis and the upgrade was spectacular.

I'm guessing though that you would need three of these bad boys to balance your front end...  and you could use your 7B's for the rear...

Good luck with your decision.

Wayne.

BTW, your system looks very nice and clean.  Must sound amazing!!

GaryArthur

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:02 am »
I am also a very satisfied 28B-SST2 owner. I upgraded my mains from an 8 year old pair of 7B-SST's last year and was thrilled with the results. The 7B's now power my rears. I use my system 80% for music and 20% movies. If you listen to a lot of music the 28B's are among the best SS amps regardless of price. I guess I would say if your peference is toward music then go for the 28's but if you are watching mostly movies your system is well balanced and I would leave it as is. It is your money and your choice. Whatever you choose your system will make you smile. 

adol290

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2011, 03:03 am »

Lots of good points.

I use my system  80% blu-ray concerts and movies and about 20% music.

I do not have a dedicated CD player. I user a Marantz BD8002 for the music and movies.
 I was looking at the Oppo BDP-95 as an upgrade, and using the XLR outputs on it to give
 me some better sounding music.

I am also concerned about having to get a third 28B to balance the center channel. It would be
 a long time before I could do the center.

Plus, I would loose one of my subs to finance this.

And I would trade 2 7B's for the 28B's

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2011, 04:52 am »
I see this thread and I am drooling...
I WISH!! anyway, the idea of being able to have 28B-SST2 is enticing. i would do it! if i could. Consider those 28's would be all you would EVER need for many many years.
You would KNOW your amps are the best arond, and anything else would be only a lateral move.
WOW. :drool:

baumer

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm »
I use my system  80% blu-ray concerts and movies and about 20% music.

If this was the case for me personally, I would't do it. To lose the sub and the 7B's for the 28's isn't a good move. Since you watch movies 80% of the time get the Oppo 95 and see if that works better for you than the BD8002. I believe Oppo has a 30-day return policy if you don't see any difference.

It sounds like you have the itch to buy something. We all get it from time to time! Just because you can get something for a really good price doesn't always mean it's a good deal for you.

Just my .02 cents.

Doug

Laundrew

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:07 pm »

"...I use my system  80% blu-ray concerts and movies and about 20% music."

Doug has a great observation, if you are only going to use the system 20% of the time for music, I would stay with the 7B SST² and be very happy.

Be well...

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:25 pm »
I was thinking along a similar line, adol290.  I'm looking at new speakers and am boiled down to Thiel 3.7's,  ML Summit X, Revel Studio2 and the new Maggie 3.7.  Budgetwise I could buy the Maggies and swap my 7's out for 28's and if I go with one of the other three I must keep the 7's.  It's so much fun to ponder these questions and have a great bunch of AC buds to help out.

BTW, for the record, the 14B isn't exactly 2 7's in one chassis.  The 7's have double the power supply capacitance.  A not too insignificant fact that commonly gets overlooked.

Regards,

Bill

mclsound

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:33 pm »
first off-if you were using for 80%/2ch....I would say by the MB2/28 combo but in HT concerts the 28's are not going to do what they "can do" compared to 2ch. Even though you have the bigger mids and "new" tweeter,the 7bsst2's will give you an awsome sound...
The 2 subs defeat the true purpose of what PMC is capable of in 2ch.
So I say no but I also say you'll never know unless you try(you only live once).
You have a incredible amount of money involved in your system and with diminishing returns(being you have to sell a sub for this transaction).."""BE CAREFULL"""....the more new,the more diminishing takes effect.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2011, 03:56 pm »
If you could find a way to upgrade and keep the 2nd sub, that would be the way to go. The 28B's are supposed to be very special and will improve all areas of your sound. I wish you luck, it's a beautiful system you have, a dilemma anyone of us wish we had.

Ron D

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2011, 04:16 pm »
I envy you your position (and your HT systems as well)...

that being said and while I have a very modest HT system that contains no Bryston pieces but I do have a better 2 channel set-up that uses 7B-SST2 amps so I at least know what these amps are capable of...

I think as others have said the ratio of 80/20 is a crucial factor here and while I acknowledge that inserting the 28Bs would be better for the 20% portion of your time when viewing blu-ray concerts personally I am drawn to the TV and concentrate of the video image/performance as opposed to the sound. I do want it to sound "good" but its not as important as the video image is to me.

Obviously the pricing is very attractive on this potential upgrade (and sometimes can sway one's decisions, it has for me at times) and no doubt owning Bryston's best will be fulfilling to you (we know/hope at least 20% of your time) but its your line to draw in the sand.

Best of luck with your decision and while it contradicts my opinion my dear old grandmother used to say "you're a long time dead, so why not get it"....

Viajero5000

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2011, 06:01 pm »
The 2 subs defeat the true purpose of what PMC is capable of in 2ch.
So I say no but I also say you'll never know unless you try(you only live once).
You have a incredible amount of money involved in your system and with diminishing returns(being you have to sell a sub for this transaction).."""BE CAREFULL"""....the more new,the more diminishing takes effect.

I pretty much agree with this view.  Given that you use subs with the PMCs, your primary goal clearly isn't listening to 2 channel music.  As someone else noted, while watching a TV screen, your attention is split between the screen and the audio, so while there certainly should be benefits from the upgrade, they will be diluted.  Putting equivalent money into other upgrades (e.g. source) will probably yield a bigger improvement.  But hey, once you set your mind on those beefy 28s, it isn't easy to say no! 

(Btw, FWIW, I personally wouldn't use subs with the PMCs so as not to 'contaminate' their presentation.)   

adol290

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2011, 07:35 pm »
So many very good points.

Watching the TV is definitely not as involving as just listening to the music. I keep forgetting
 that you hear more with your eyes closed.

"I personally wouldn't use subs with the PMCs so as not to 'contaminate' their presentation"
Very true.
My setup was like this for over a year, but I wanted more in lower end.

I have done a lot of tweaking to the subs. I try to have the bass flow together with
 each front speaker as seamlessly as possible. I hate boomy bass.

I did some testing last night(on a concert), and could clearly hear the differences between no subs,
 1 sub and 2 subs.

The cleanest sound was no subs. But I  missed the deeper bass/ the impact of the drums.
2 subs the seemed to muddy the lower frequencies of the PMC's the most.
1 sub was better, but the bass was a touch localized.
Darn, why did I try this.  :duh: Another thing to be tweaked...

I know trade in the 2 subs/IB2's for    MB2's    ---NO BB5's  :lol: 

the more new,the more diminishing takes  - how true

Mag

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2011, 08:02 pm »
 I don't agree! I set my sub crossover to 80 Hz, let the sub handle the heavy load. Majority of instrument's lower bass doesn't go below 80 Hz.

The mains handle the upper bass freq. and you get this awesome bass performance, if your speakers are capable, that is! :smoke:

adol290

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2011, 08:40 pm »

Mag,

What speakers do you have?

Viajero5000

« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2011, 08:44 pm »
I don't agree! I set my sub crossover to 80 Hz, let the sub handle the heavy load. Majority of instrument's lower bass doesn't go below 80 Hz.

The mains handle the upper bass freq. and you get this awesome bass performance, if your speakers are capable, that is! :smoke:

Mag, the PMCs are a transmission line speaker, inserting a sub kind of defeats their point! (And just for fun I have toyed with adding subs with my speakers, never been able to integrate them at all...).  But if it sounds good to your ears, that's all that matters!    :thumb: